LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

Nikon lense recommendation

Old 03-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #21
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
What about the Nikkor 18-105mm, 24-120mm, or the 16-85mm?

I have A Canon and I have 4 lenses. I mostly use it for vacations and weekend trips. I have not yet gotten into photoshop but Im a pure amature still learning. I have the kit 18-55, Tamron 10-24, 55-250mm and a 50mm 1.8. I usually shoot the dog and hikes up in the mountains. I never use my 50mm, the telephoto if I see a critter or the dog doing somethign stupid, and the others most of the time. I would probaly prefer a better zoom something like a 70-300 and somethign to cover the 18-70 range. I have changing lenses and the wife really hates it.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:20 PM   #22
6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
What about the Nikkor 18-105mm, 24-120mm, or the 16-85mm?

I have A Canon and I have 4 lenses. I mostly use it for vacations and weekend trips. I have not yet gotten into photoshop but Im a pure amature still learning. I have the kit 18-55, Tamron 10-24, 55-250mm and a 50mm 1.8. I usually shoot the dog and hikes up in the mountains. I never use my 50mm, the telephoto if I see a critter or the dog doing somethign stupid, and the others most of the time. I would probaly prefer a better zoom something like a 70-300 and somethign to cover the 18-70 range. I have changing lenses and the wife really hates it.
what mode do you normally shoot with on your camera?
Old 03-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #23
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Glad I found this thread.

Just got my 3100 today. Came with the 18-55, am considering a 55-300 to put with it for longer shots.
Sigma 610 flash... really looking forward to getting to know the system.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #24
Maximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: D
Maximus's Tacoma Gallery
50mm 1.8 f/1.8 AF- best for portrait and low light and an amazing price
18-200mm VRII- best walk around travel lens
Old 03-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #25
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spd View Post
what mode do you normally shoot with on your camera?
I use AV mode and adjust the ISO accordingly. I'll admit there's still a lot I can learn but so far for what I do, Im pretty satisfied. I would like to get better and get into editing.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #26
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
50mm 1.8 f/1.8 AF- best for portrait and low light and an amazing price
Been spending the day reading Ken Rockwell's site and he disagrees.

The human brain "remembers" facial proportions from a distance of 15ft.
Closer, proportions change... noses get larger and ears smaller.

He actually recommends much longer lenses for portrait work. A 105 being good if you want a model standing upright, but for headshots, something longer is needed to maintain that 15ft and have the head or upper torso properly fill the frame.

But for general low-light POV shots, agreed... the 50mm prime is ideal.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:55 AM   #27
Maximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: D
Maximus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post

He actually recommends much longer lenses for portrait work. A 105 being good if you want a model standing upright, but for headshots, something longer is needed to maintain that 15ft and have the head or upper torso properly fill the frame.

True...However for the price of $134, it can't be beat
Old 03-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
True...However for the price of $134, it can't be beat
Adorama... 55-200mm refurbished (by Nikon) for $165
Likely similar deals for Canon glass.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #29
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xer0 SiN View Post
if you have a crop body camera, in my case d7000, you really cannot go wrong with the 35 f1.8. its very affordable and takes super sharp pics. i just picked the 17-55 f2.8. didnt really get a chance to play with it yet cause im waiting on my filters. but so far, the lens is everything that everyone one hyped it up to be. an excellent lens. next up, the beast 70-200 f2.8 vrII >=).
I would agree. I like my 35mm f1.8 A LOT.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #30
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I'm not saying to completely disregard Rockwell but as you look closely at his site you will see many points he completely back tracks on as well as seems to go from one extreme to another ie..."this is the best product on the face of the planet" to "utterly worthless"
That said, I still reference his site on things, but just balance him in a healthy way with many other reviews and sites. Not hating on him, Just a heads up as to what I've found.

Quote:
Adorama... 55-200mm refurbished (by Nikon) for $165
Likely similar deals for Canon glass.
I have the 55-200 and like it well enough. I use my 35 1.8 the most. I tried the 35 and the 50 and decided I liked the wider angle of view better (on a crop sensor its the equivalent to a 52.5mm anyway) so I'd say to try both before you pick up a Prime lens as I was "set" on getting the 50 until I shot both.

EDIT: Also check out B&H and Amazon. Usually pretty close in prices to Adorama but sometimes one will have something in stock that the others don't.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
I'm not saying to completely disregard Rockwell but as you look closely at his site you will see many points he completely back tracks on as well as seems to go from one extreme to another ie..."this is the best product on the face of the planet" to "utterly worthless"
That said, I still reference his site on things, but just balance him in a healthy way with many other reviews and sites. Not hating on him, Just a heads up as to what I've found.
Especially in something as "artful" as photography, the only thing absolute is there are no absolutes.
Absolutely

Like I agree with his attitude of "Travel light", but after my last 100 wasted shots from Carlsbad Caverns, I am not going back in there, even with a nice DSLR, without a tripod
Quote:
I have the 55-200 and like it well enough. I use my 35 1.8 the most. I tried the 35 and the 50 and decided I liked the wider angle of view better (on a crop sensor its the equivalent to a 52.5mm anyway) so I'd say to try both before you pick up a Prime lens as I was "set" on getting the 50 until I shot both.
I think I'm pretty much set with the kit lens (18-55) and the 55-200.
I briefly considered the 55-300, and would love to replace them both with the 18-200, but I can't justify the cost.

Digging through the spare closet, I found my old Canon T60 rig, and what did I have? The kit lens, 35-70, a 75-200 zoom, and a 2x doubler.
Now, with the crop sensor, the 55-200 is going to be more like a 75-300, and I'm not shooting airshows anymore, so I really don't see needing anything longer than 200mm.

Ya... eventually I'll probably give in and buy a fisheye (and use it 4 times), and I'm sure at some point, the acquisition syndrome will kick in and I'll end up with the 18-200.

But I picked up a moderately inexpensive ($52) Sunpak tripod with a pistol grip quick-release head. No fiddling with knobs for adjustment... squeeze the trigger and it free-floats on all 3 axes, head has a round level, as well as separate tube levels for each axis.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sunpak+-...ipod&cp=1&lp=5

Also picked up a bag. Nikon sucks. $10 more for a smaller bag than Canon. I bought the Canon bag and then pried the Canon badge off of the flap.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-+...&skuId=6813362
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nikon+-+...&skuId=1227579

Go figure.

The bag is actually a hair bigger than needed. I've got the body and lens in one end and the flash on the other end. Plenty of room for the new lens, and still enough room for two more items almost as large as the flash (this Sigma 610 is a beast!).

I keep forgetting that I no longer need room in the bag for film cans!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #32
'MERICA
TacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: PO2
Name: Steven
TacoSkeet's Tacoma Gallery
I know I'm not a photography guru but I have a Nikon D3100 and an 18-55mm and 55-300mm and they are great for me!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSkeet View Post
I know I'm not a photography guru but I have a Nikon D3100 and an 18-55mm and 55-300mm and they are great for me!
That's the camera that I just picked up to replace my pathetic Coolpix L810.
My older S550 was a much better camera than the 810. Only thing better about the 810 is the glass. The auto focus and color balance are horrible, the flash must have a guide number of about 2, maybe 3 if it's used in a white room.
55-300 is a sweet lens, but I no longer need anything that long.
Now, once I retire and move to Texas, I might want something in that range for shooting wildlife.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #34
'MERICA
TacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: PO2
Name: Steven
TacoSkeet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's the camera that I just picked up to replace my pathetic Coolpix L810.
My older S550 was a much better camera than the 810. Only thing better about the 810 is the glass. The auto focus and color balance are horrible, the flash must have a guide number of about 2, maybe 3 if it's used in a white room.
55-300 is a sweet lens, but I no longer need anything that long.
Now, once I retire and move to Texas, I might want something in that range for shooting wildlife.
wait a minute....my Nikon can shoot things?

I have to 55-300mm because my mom gave it to me for free and I actually use it a good bit for wildlife or photos of sports
Old 03-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #35
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Because no one else has said it.....

Canon.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
Because no one else has said it.....

Canon.
OP has a D80 (even though it's a necrothread).

And Canon was mentioned at the TOTP
And I mentioned my Canon T60

Good gear... if you want to shoot video through a DSLR, Canon is the way to go.
Act of Valor was shot on a (okay, a number of) Canon 5D.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:25 AM   #37
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Meh, both fine cameras. Mostly preference on subject and taste. I bet if you took pics with equal class bodies and lenses and didn't edit or blow them up we'd have a hard time declaring what "brand" the photos were.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
Meh, both fine cameras. Mostly preference on subject and taste. I bet if you took pics with equal class bodies and lenses and didn't edit or blow them up we'd have a hard time declaring what "brand" the photos were.
Quite true.

Back when 2mp was a high end camera and most cameras were "kilopixel", there was a HUGE difference in color balance between brands.
Couple that with Sony and Olympus using proprietary memory card formats, Kodak storing images in it's proprietary .FPX format (and the buggy, bloatware needed to view)....

I don't miss those days.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #39
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2230 View Post
You have an excellent eye for composition sir! I'm amazed how many people will try to tell people that they don't need a fisheye and it won't get used much at all and they are only wasting their money. I've wanted one since my first 35mm camera in 1983, a Nikon FG.

I do have a question about the picture with the Taco in it. Did you use a polarizer on the fisheye? If so, did you hand hold it in front of the lens or is this a HDR and that made the clouds stand out like that? I know most fisheyes won't accept filters because of the curvature of the front glass.
Sorry for the late response! Didn't know this thread was still alive!

I love my fisheye, and I use it whenever I need a wide angle. It helps A LOT to have the rectilinear correction plugin, because then it doesn't look so "fisheye-y" but gives you the angle you need. That particular photo was an HDR stack of 5 images using Photomatix 4.0 Pro. I don't use any filters on the fisheye for the exact reason you mentioned.

For those of you saying the Fisheye is just a novelty lens...that is "somewhat" true. But a good photographer can line up any shot with it. Here's some examples of shots I did with that lens that does not necessarily warrant a fisheye, yet it performed flawlessly.