Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

Nikon lense recommendation

Old 07-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
jcka is on a distinguished road

Name: John
jcka's Tacoma Gallery
Nikon lense recommendation

Seeking info for a lense for my D80. If I had to have one lense, what would it be? Something that is all purpose...
Old 07-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
Yeti Hunter
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
55-200mm VR imo
Old 07-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
NetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud of

Army:
Name: Tim
NetDep's Tacoma Gallery
This is a very tough issue. Kind of like a one gun or favorite food. So much depends on what it is you like to shoot - I always say let your needs drive your gear and not just get gear for the sake of gear - or a great deal - or because your buddy shoots one and it's cool. That said - I tend to shoot larger mammals and really like larger birds in flight (we have a great winter eagle season here) and my goto lens (I am a Canon shooter but Nikon has one as well) is a 70-200 f/2.8. This lense rarely comes off my camera - it is fast and has a very verstile focal range. It also takes a teleconverter which still gives you a constant f/4.

If price is no - or little - object that is a great all around lens. You can do decent sports, model and a lot of animal shooting with it. Not sure if you are familiar with it - but for Nikon shooters - this is a good resource: (he does have some ego and not all like him but there is some good info)

http://www.kenrockwell.com/

The lens mentioned:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70-200mm-ii.htm

Sorry if I missed the boat - but you kind of left it open ended. Just remember - like so many say - "bodies come and go - glass is forever" - buy the best lens you can afford - you will change bodies far more than good glass and it is cheaper to buy once now than three times later -- I have done all of that - and have some of the junk in junk drawers to prove it!!

Happy snapping!!!!
Old 07-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on what you wanna use it for. If it's just random pics, and no serious photography, I'd say pick yourself up an 18-55mm and a 55-200mm. Both are affordable, and you probably already have the 18-55mm. Should cover your general needs with having an ability for a wide range.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #5
6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
Do you know what range you like? If short and wide, tamron 17-50mm 2.8, if a little longer I'd suggest a sigma 24-70mm. I cant recommend anything longer that isnt inexpensive.

Im under the impression that you are on a budget, correct?
Old 07-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
l1tech is on a distinguished road

Name: mike
l1tech's Tacoma Gallery
The 18-200VR or VRll is the perfect all around lense. Great for most all shots. A little pricey , but worth it.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #7
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
For the beginner wanting some great pictures, look at 50mm 1.8. For your everyday average lens, an 18-200 is a great choice. A lot (including myself) of guys that bought a body with this kit lens often sell this lens for a good price. If money is no object, then a Nikon 24-70 would be ideal. Then again, it all depends on what kind of shooting you do.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #8

jcka's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the quick responses. To clarify, I have the two lenses the camera came with (a kit with 18-55 and 55-200). They seem to be basic lenses.

I'm getting ready to go on a road trip to Yellowstone and hope to find a lense I can use for great scenery and wildlife shots as well as the customary family shots.

I'm new to photography and am learning as I go. I'm willing to spend enough for a great lense that will last a long time, but not willing to spend an arm and a leg.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #9
offroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Name: Jared
offroadwonder's Tacoma Gallery
Lest we forget the fixed lenses. My favorite lens is my 35mm f/1.8. It was relatively cheap so I'm not afraid to use it, it is fast enough to avoid a lot of flash situations, and it is light.

Of course you have to be willing to move around a lot more when you aren't using a zoom lens. But it makes you very conscious of your framing.

But as others have said, it comes down to what you like to shoot. A fixed lens would be a terrible choice for the kind of use that NetDep was describing.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #10
Lest We Forget
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcka View Post
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the quick responses. To clarify, I have the two lenses the camera came with (a kit with 18-55 and 55-200). They seem to be basic lenses.

I'm getting ready to go on a road trip to Yellowstone and hope to find a lense I can use for great scenery and wildlife shots as well as the customary family shots.

I'm new to photography and am learning as I go. I'm willing to spend enough for a great lense that will last a long time, but not willing to spend an arm and a leg.
Nifty 50 (50mm f1.8)

or 35mm f1.8

I personally LOVE my 35mm

They are both prime lenses, meaning that you can't zoom, it's fixed.

Honestly, you're best to learn the current lenses you have. It comes down to the person behind the viewfinder, so you CAN do a lot with the lenses you've got, even though they seem basic.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #11

jcka's Tacoma Gallery
Very true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Nifty 50 (50mm f1.8)

Honestly, you're best to learn the current lenses you have. It comes down to the person behind the viewfinder, so you CAN do a lot with the lenses you've got, even though they seem basic.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #12
Lest We Forget
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Very true...
Case and point, I shot this last night with just the kit 18-55mm lens in shutter priority mode.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #13
Lest We Forget
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
And these wit han 18-55mm lens also...

Best thing you can do, learn the camera and the lenses, and also the compositional elements will help enhance your shots. I think you're fine with the lenses you have as far as having a range of ability. That 35mm and 50mm are both excellent lenses so if you do end up picking them up, it will be good to have, but not necessary at this point in time. Just my two cents.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:21 AM   #14
6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Best thing you can do, learn the camera and the lenses, and also the compositional elements will help enhance your shots. I think you're fine with the lenses you have as far as having a range of ability.
This is probably the best advice you can take to heart. learn how to use what you have, and understand what the functions do on your camera. Most people fall into the "I need better stuff than my kit lens!" attitude when they make the initial purchase.

Learn how to use your gear before you upgrade, pretty sure that goes without saying for most things. I would recommend at least a tripod if you are planning on doing some landscape stills.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #15
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I got both of those lenses with my D3000 kit. I used them for 2 years, just learning my camera, and composition.

I primarily shoot landscapes, scenery, and national parks...things of that sort, etc. My favorite lens that I use with this camera for that type of thing is my DX 10.5mm F/2.8 Fisheye. I use Imagetrends PS plugin for rectilinear correction (fixing the fisheye look without losing the wide angle). Only drawback with this lens is that it does not have an autofocus motor, The camera body you're using must have the AF motor otherwise it's manual focus only...which I really don't mind.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Produc...2F2.8G-ED.html

Here is a few examples without using the rectilinear correction. All shot with my $500 Nikon D3000. Really shows you the power of this lens.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #16
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
I generally dislike pictures taken with fisheye lenses cause 98.5% of them are teenagers taking skate boarding pictures.

But you sir...you have changed my opinion.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:02 AM   #17
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post

Here is a few examples without using the rectilinear correction. All shot with my $500 Nikon D3000. Really shows you the power of this lens.

You have an excellent eye for composition sir! I'm amazed how many people will try to tell people that they don't need a fisheye and it won't get used much at all and they are only wasting their money. I've wanted one since my first 35mm camera in 1983, a Nikon FG.

I do have a question about the picture with the Taco in it. Did you use a polarizer on the fisheye? If so, did you hand hold it in front of the lens or is this a HDR and that made the clouds stand out like that? I know most fisheyes won't accept filters because of the curvature of the front glass.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #18
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
I got both of those lenses with my D3000 kit. I used them for 2 years, just learning my camera, and composition.

I primarily shoot landscapes, scenery, and national parks...things of that sort, etc. My favorite lens that I use with this camera for that type of thing is my DX 10.5mm F/2.8 Fisheye. I use Imagetrends PS plugin for rectilinear correction (fixing the fisheye look without losing the wide angle). Only drawback with this lens is that it does not have an autofocus motor, The camera body you're using must have the AF motor otherwise it's manual focus only...which I really don't mind.

This is one lens i WOULDNT recommend. Yes its a cool lens. Definitely not what you're looking for. This lens will get old really quick, every person i know that bought a fisheye, used it a LOT for like 5-6 months, then never touched it again. If you want a fisheye just get the cheap-o Opteka one, it's an 8mm manual focus FE. Its so wide that you nail the focus every time if youre shooting past f/4. Besides for the most part, fisheye is just a novelty, there seldom are photos that you can't take with a wide-angle that were shot with a fisheye.

With that being said, look for a mid-range lens. I would go for a zoom, at least for what you're asking. 17-55 f/2.8 is amazing and exactly what you're looking for. But it's definitely a pretty penny.

Check out this lens.
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Pro...5-4.5G-ED.html
Old 01-31-2013, 11:04 AM   #19
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
no one has mentioned the tamron 17-50mm 2.8? that has my vote. $300-350 on craigslist
Old 03-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #20
Xer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of light

Army: veterans affairs
Xer0 SiN's Tacoma Gallery
if you have a crop body camera, in my case d7000, you really cannot go wrong with the 35 f1.8. its very affordable and takes super sharp pics. i just picked the 17-55 f2.8. didnt really get a chance to play with it yet cause im waiting on my filters. but so far, the lens is everything that everyone one hyped it up to be. an excellent lens. next up, the beast 70-200 f2.8 vrII >=).