Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

Lightning Photos

Old 08-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #1
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Lightning Photos

Took these pics from my back porch using my Canon T2i. Thought I would share.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=fd2c2b07ac
Old 08-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
I dont see how you time it perfectly. Do you just take a shit ton of pictures all at once and delete all the others?
Edit: BTW sweet pictures
Old 08-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMABOSS View Post
I dont see how you time it perfectly. Do you just take a shit ton of pictures all at once and delete all the others?
Edit: BTW sweet pictures
Well I did take like 100 pictures. But I set my exposure time to 5 to 10 seconds a picture. I also turn on my self timer so it takes 10 pictures in a row. I also set my camera up on a tripod. So I end up deleting a lot of pictures but it's well worth it.

Thanks!!
Old 08-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonTacoma View Post
Well I did take like 100 pictures. But I set my exposure time to 5 to 10 seconds a picture. I also turn on my self timer so it takes 10 pictures in a row. I also set my camera up on a tripod. So I end up deleting a lot of pictures but it's well worth it.

Thanks!!
ok lol i figured. i wasnt sure if there was some sort of 6th sense of when a lightning bolt was going to strike haha
Old 08-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMABOSS View Post
ok lol i figured. i wasnt sure if there was some sort of 6th sense of when a lightning bolt was going to strike haha
I'm not that good.

I used to do it that way but I only ever ended up with like 1 or 2 good pictures.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #6
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Thanks!!
Try bulb, and turn down exposure.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
Try bulb, and turn down exposure.
What do you mean by bulb?

I'm still kinda new to,the photography stuff.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #8
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Bulb leaves the shutter open for as long as you want, even getting multiple strikes on one image. You've seen the streaks of car lights and such. Give me a second, I've got a few around here somewhere.

EDIT I found a couple, I know I have more but cant put my finger on them.
Attached Thumbnails
Lightning Photos-light2.jpg   Lightning Photos-lightning3.jpg  
Old 08-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Bulb leaves the shutter open for as long as you want, even getting multiple strikes on one image. You've seen the streaks of car lights and such. Give me a second, I've got a few around here somewhere.

EDIT I found a couple, I know I have more but cant put my finger on them.
I see what you are talking about. I'll have to try that on the next round of lightning storms I get. Shouldn't take too long for that to happen.

Thanks for the advice!!
Old 08-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #10

Old 08-14-2012, 12:16 AM   #12
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

SOOOO bad ass!!!
Old 08-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #13

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Look good guys. Wished I'd carried my camera out last night to watch the meteor shower, we veiwed 15 or so in under two hours.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Look good guys. Wished I'd carried my camera out last night to watch the meteor shower, we veiwed 15 or so in under two hours.
I really wanted to see that too. But unfortunately we had cloudy skies those nights. Which in southern AZ is a rarity on its own.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
I call your nighttime shots and raise you a day time shot

That's awesome!! Shots like that are a lot harder to get than my night shots.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #16
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
RJALLDAY702's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed!
Old 08-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #17

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I really wanted to see that too. But unfortunately we had cloudy skies those nights. Which in southern AZ is a rarity on its own.

Peak is over, but there are still plenty to be seen, I went out in my back yard and caught a few this morning. I've got a time lapse point-n-shoot on a tripod as I type this trying to catch something. Not gonna get any if you don't try.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Peak is over, but there are still plenty to be seen, I went out in my back yard and caught a few this morning. I've got a time lapse point-n-shoot on a tripod as I type this trying to catch something. Not gonna get any if you don't try.
Nice. Post up pics if you get anything!!
Old 10-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #19
kenny216 is a splendid one to beholdkenny216 is a splendid one to beholdkenny216 is a splendid one to beholdkenny216 is a splendid one to beholdkenny216 is a splendid one to beholdkenny216 is a splendid one to beholdkenny216 is a splendid one to beholdkenny216 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Kenny
kenny216's Tacoma Gallery
Good stuff! I love lightning photos! i use a 30 second shutter or the bulb function and tape a penny to the button. im uploading photos right now so i can post them in this thread
Old 10-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #20
kenny216 is a splendid one to beholdkenny216 is a splendid one to beholdkenny216 is a splendid one to beholdkenny216 is a splendid one to beholdkenny216 is a splendid one to beholdkenny216 is a splendid one to beholdkenny216 is a splendid one to beholdkenny216 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Kenny
kenny216's Tacoma Gallery