Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

60D. Which package is better?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #21
whiteneck is just really nicewhiteneck is just really nicewhiteneck is just really nicewhiteneck is just really nice
Firefighter:
Name: Michael
whiteneck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by krap22 View Post
The 18 is a true 18 on that 18-135 because the lens is designed for the crop sensor (ef-s).
Lens focal lengths are standard, crop sensor, full frame, EF, EF-S or otherwise.

So if you have a 100mm lens, it will give you a certain field of view on a 35mm SLR (or full frame digital). If you use that same lens on a 'crop body', the focal length is still 100mm....but the outsides of the image circle (projected by the lens into the camera) will not be recorded by the camera's sensor (because it's smaller). So you end up with an image that covers a smaller field of view.

It doesn't matter if the lens is EF or EF-S....50mm will give you the same FOV (on the same camera).

The only reason why the crop factor exists, is because the 'standard' for so long was 35mm film. So when they came out with cameras of the same size & format, but with smaller sensors...they wanted to let people know that the FOV would be different that what they were used to with 35mm film.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #22
6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteneck View Post
This is a very common misconception. The S in EF-S refers to the image stabilization properties of the lens. This requires a slightly different mount. I believe the mirror in full-frame Canons gets in the way of the IS system lenses.

Lens focal lengths are standard, crop sensor, full frame, EF, EF-S or otherwise.

The 'crop factor' is a comparison and really only applies to the field of view...not the focal length. (the crop factor applies to both the FOV and DOF)

So if you have a 100mm lens, it will give you a certain field of view on a 35mm SLR (or full frame digital). If you use that same lens on a 'crop body', the focal length is still 100mm....but the outsides of the image circle (projected by the lens into the camera) will not be recorded by the camera's sensor (because it's smaller). So you end up with an image that covers a smaller field of view.

It doesn't matter if the lens is EF or EF-S....50mm will give you the same FOV (on the same camera).

The only reason why the crop factor exists, is because the 'standard' for so long was 35mm film. So when they came out with cameras of the same size & format, but with smaller sensors...they wanted to let people know that the FOV would be different that what they were used to with 35mm film.
wat.

crop factor is 1.5/6 for canons. 100mm will be 100mm on FF, but will be much longer on a crop sensor body since the the outer circle will be "cropped" out, yielding roughly 150/160mm focal length.

given a particular lens, the DOF will different on a FF vs. a crop sensor body. on a 50mm 1.4, the FF will have a much thinner DOF vs a crop body sensor.

but you can believe what you want to believe.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #24
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
I was limiting myself to those two because if the package deals. However as others have said, save my sheckles and get a decent lens instead of the lower quality package lenses.

Again I'm just getting into dslrs right now but I've been using my canon AE-1 program and AT-1 for the past 5+ years now. I didn't want to drop like 1500-2000 on a 5d. I won't need it that badly, but I didn't want an Eos rebel either. Little plasticy for me. Had I gone cheaper I would have looked at Nikon. Their lower range stuff seems better quality. However fr what I read (and I could have interpreted it wrong) the lenses with Nikon are stabilized, not the body. Making them much more expensive.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #25
BigFoot aka Sasquatch
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This is a very common misconception. The S in EF-S refers to the image stabilization properties of the lens. This requires a slightly different mount. I believe the mirror in full-frame Canons gets in the way of the IS system lenses.

The 'crop factor' is a comparison and really only applies to the field of view...not the focal length.

here do some reading on ef-s vs ef. The s does not stand for stabilization. there is normally an is for cannon that specifies image stabilization.

http://www.slrphotographyguide.com/c...EFS-lens.shtml
Old 12-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #27
whiteneck is just really nicewhiteneck is just really nicewhiteneck is just really nicewhiteneck is just really nice
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spd View Post
wat.

but you can believe what you want to believe.
I think we're agreeing, just saying the same thing differently. Either way I believe you are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krap22 View Post
here do some reading on ef-s vs ef. The s does not stand for stabilization. there is normally an is for cannon that specifies image stabilization.

http://www.slrphotographyguide.com/c...EFS-lens.shtml

Thanks, krap22. It turns out you were right about the S, IS thing. However, I stand by my earlier statement that focal length is always referred to relative to 35mm standard, "S" or otherwise.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #28
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

http://m.bestbuy.ca/defaultpage.aspx...240&lang=en-CA

http://m.bestbuy.ca/defaultpage.aspx...174&lang=en-CA

http://m.bestbuy.ca/defaultpage.aspx...802&lang=en-CA

So here's my next dilemma. Looking at lenses. The one says its cheaper because of changes in materials and assembly line but still delivering the same quality as the more expensive ones. However the $400 one says it focuses faster and has more elements/groups. I'm still reading up on what they means exactly but seeing as its only a $130 difference, is that extra dough really worth it?
Old 12-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #30
6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I think we're agreeing, just saying the same thing differently. Either way I believe you are correct.
uhh, no. read again, just for the sake of learning.

also

the "s" designation in an ef-s lens from canon means that it is designed for crop sensor camera bodies. the "IS" is for image stablization on the lens, which will account for the difference in price compared to a similar focal length, but non "IS" lens

not trying to get in your stuff, just trying to educate you, and the people that dont know.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:23 PM   #32
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spd View Post
uhh, no. read again, just for the sake of learning.

also

the "s" designation in an ef-s lens from canon means that it is designed for crop sensor camera bodies. the "IS" is for image stablization on the lens, which will account for the difference in price compared to a similar focal length, but non "IS" lens

not trying to get in your stuff, just trying to educate you, and the people that dont know.

I appreciate this, 6spd.

I agree with you on the depth of field and crop frame stuff.

As far as S vs. IS goes, I realize I was mistaken regarding what that S stood for.

I'm now questioning if the lens lengths for the S lenses take into account a crop-sensor. My understanding was that they didn't.

Thanks for the info...this is helpful.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #33
JWinTN is on a distinguished road
JWinTN's Tacoma Gallery
I started with primes—a 28/1.8, a 50/1.4, and the 100/2.8 macro. Then I got the Tamron 17-50/2.8 for the constant aperture and the convenience of the zoom when shooting pics of the kid. I'll next be trying to acquire some type of constant aperture zoom in the 70-200mm range.

Once you get used to having the low-light capabilities, the sharpness and image quality, and the shallow DOF of fast lenses, the variable aperture zooms don't cut it so well. Changing lenses can be a pain, but I walked around with only the 50/1.4 for a long time before I got any other lenses.

I'm also intrigued by the 40mm pancake lens and would like to try it, I just don't need it enough to justify the purchase. It looks like it would be a good place to start on a budget.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #36
Resident Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Did you get the camera from future ?
Yes I got it from futureshop. It was an open box with 180 shots done on it. I know a few places had them on for that much as well, but it's far easier to find a Futureshop than a Vistek.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #37
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
I got my 5d mk ii for about that price with only 1500 actuations. Could not pass that up. I think a buddy of mine might be selling a 7d if anyone's interested.

Products Discussed in this Thread