1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

D60 vs Sony alpha 200

Discussion in 'Photography' started by TurfTaco, Feb 4, 2009.

?

Which do you prefer?

Poll closed Feb 11, 2009.
  1. Nikon D60

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Sony alpha 200

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Other

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Feb 4, 2009 at 10:10 AM
    TurfTaco

TurfTaco [OP] Is there a long john silvers on the island?

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    285/75-16 BFG KM1's, AVS vent visors, AVS hood shield, pioneer avic F900BT, pac steering wheel control adapter, Boyo rearview camera, pac ipod interface, tinted windows, Toytec 1.5 AAL, Bistein 5100s (front set to .85) Eibach coils, Black headlights, grillcraft black billet insert, N-fab light bar, 4 Hella FF700 lights & color matched grille, Sockmonkey bedside decals. 16x8 MT sidebiters, Weathertechs, Fabtech spare carrier.
    I am trying to decide on buying either the Sony alpha 200 or the Nikon D60. The D60 is aroun $200 more. Which camera do you prefer?

2. Feb 4, 2009 at 10:12 AM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    i have a D60 i absolutley love it and i know nothing about sony so i cant say anything about them but for me D60 :D

3. Feb 4, 2009 at 10:14 AM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    What do you like about the D60 over the D40?

If it's just the bump in mega pixels, go with the D40, as you won't be able to tell the difference between 6.1 in the D40 and...10.2? in the D60.

More pixels means more noise, too.

4. Feb 4, 2009 at 10:20 AM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    my parents have the D40x its basically the D60. same mp and everything.. iether way all nikon dslr's are great! for me the nikon gets my vote! :D

5. Feb 4, 2009 at 10:27 AM
    TurfTaco

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    285/75-16 BFG KM1's, AVS vent visors, AVS hood shield, pioneer avic F900BT, pac steering wheel control adapter, Boyo rearview camera, pac ipod interface, tinted windows, Toytec 1.5 AAL, Bistein 5100s (front set to .85) Eibach coils, Black headlights, grillcraft black billet insert, N-fab light bar, 4 Hella FF700 lights & color matched grille, Sockmonkey bedside decals. 16x8 MT sidebiters, Weathertechs, Fabtech spare carrier.
    The main reason I want to upgrade to an SLR is shutter speed. I guess thats what you call it. I have a 5 month old son and sometimes his smiles last only a few seconds and my canon point and shoot can't keep up...I am starting to hate the damn thing. As far as megapixels go the D40 does have 6.1 and the D60 10.2. Would you really not notice any difference in the 2 if you weren't developing more than a 5x7 or an 8x10 every now and then?

6. Feb 4, 2009 at 10:31 AM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    ya for that small there really is no diffrence.

The D40 is a great camera itl last you for a very long time and shoots like 3.5 fps i think

7. Feb 4, 2009 at 11:13 AM
    TopShelf

TopShelf Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    '08 White TRD Sport Double Cab
    Alpine in dash dvd monitor, thats all for now :'(
    I voted other because I love my canon... Id go with the canon 40D its a little more expensive bit it also has 10.1 megapixels, dual rapid fire rates, 3 fps and 6.5 fps for up to 75 photos where nikon is 3fps for only 6 shots, ultrasonic sensor cleaner every time you turn the camera on to keep the dust off your images and it has a larger screen (not much but still .5 inch larger). I have shot a few nikons with film but when I went digital I thought canon had a much better product.

Also the more megapixels does not mean more noise. More megapixels means the larger you can print with out noticing noise, but when printing a 5x7 you wont notice the difference between 6 and 10 megapixels, unless your shooting in low lighted areas and are trying to use a fast shutter speed then youll start to see the grains or "noise"

If the 40D is out of your price range you might be able to find a 30D for close to the price of the D60 or for the new products the Rebel XTi isnt bad either.

Those are my opinions and a few things that might help you choose but in the end Im still a canon guy, good luck with your purchase. If youre still undecided here is a site that I look at and buy from all the time they will let you compare products and they also sell stuff in kits to help with the costs of some things. http://www.bhphotovideo.com I would also suggest going to a camera shop and holding the product to see how comfortable each is to you and to get some profesional advice.

8. Feb 4, 2009 at 12:54 PM
    TurfTaco

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    Yeah, the one thing that has scared me away from canon is they don't have built in image stablilization. The sony does which is why I am leaning that way. If I were to get a 300mm lense for the sony it would be around 200 bucks, but much more for a canon lense with image stabilization.

9. Feb 4, 2009 at 2:51 PM
    TopShelf

TopShelf Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    '08 White TRD Sport Double Cab
    Alpine in dash dvd monitor, thats all for now :'(

thats true but then again how much do you really use your IS? unless your shooting in low light with no flash and fast action and even then the IS is still gonna hurt a little cause it stops the camera down. but I shoot a lot of out door stuff at high shutter speeds and wide open F-stops so who needs the IS in those conditions.

10. Feb 10, 2009 at 5:58 AM
    2qwik4u

2qwik4u Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indian Head, MD
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular Cab Prerunner
    ARE Z-series Cap
    I have a Sony alpha 700, and I just love it. It's essentially a Minolta DSLR, because Minolta sold their camera division to Sony a few years ago, so any used Minolta Maxxum compatible lenses will work on the Sony. Nikon makes a great camera too, so you really can't go wrong either way. The Sony will be a little less expensive though in the long run because of the less expensive lenses.

11. Feb 10, 2009 at 6:12 AM
    NumNutz

NumNutz One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    Both are great. I have found that Nikon stuff is easier to find though.

12. Mar 10, 2009 at 2:13 PM
    roddy1

roddy1 Active Member

Member:
    Nikon is higher quality. I just bought a D40 over an A200k... on paper the Sony looks better, but in person, the Nikon ismore comfortable to use, more user friendly IMO and better made IMO.

The nice thing with the sony is the built in VR.

I havent read all the replies, but to the OP: the d40 is closer in competition to the A200K... and right now you can grab a D40 for a fair bit cheaper than the A200.

13. Mar 10, 2009 at 3:41 PM
    TightShirts

TightShirts The StormTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    TightShirts
    Phoenix... The Land of Lifted Trucks & Dirty Sluts
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail Ed
    Tint, Clear Bra, De-badged, In-Dash DVD, 09 Led Tail Lights, Chris4x4's old OME front shocks, 1.5" Deaver AAL with OME n182s, black billet in white sport grill, BHLM w/4500k HIDs + Fogs, bumper blackout
    i'm a canon guy myself... but between the two you picked, go nikon... the sony stuff has a ways to go to catch up to the canon & nikon level. and trust me, it's more about the lens than the camera...

Products Discussed in

To Top