Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

Filters

Old 05-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
CAPS CAPS CAPS!
asphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, B Co, 1st BN, 6th MAR ('93 - '97)
Name: Jason
asphaltpilot's Tacoma Gallery
Filters

Are they worth it? Do they provide any benefit that could not be achieved with post-processing (or in camera) software? Any particular ones you'd recommend?
Old 05-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

97Blk_one's Tacoma Gallery
I'm confuserd? Filters as in Camera , or as in KN Filters?
Old 05-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely worth it. They are pre-processors in a sense. I would have a UV and polarizing filter at least, if my camera could use em.

He means camera, hence the photography section.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:52 AM   #4
I <3 Pink Tacos
JawKnee is a splendid one to beholdJawKnee is a splendid one to beholdJawKnee is a splendid one to beholdJawKnee is a splendid one to beholdJawKnee is a splendid one to beholdJawKnee is a splendid one to behold

Name: John
JawKnee's Tacoma Gallery
I just started using an ND filter and what a difference! It helps so much when your shooting mid-day and want to shoot wide open to get nice background blur.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
I keep a polarizing filter on my 50mm at all times.

If only for the cheap protection it gives the lens.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
nomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to behold
Name: Trevor
nomad_archer's Tacoma Gallery
Filters are cheap cheap insurance for the lenses. My wife always has a UV filter on her lenses. She has some other filters that help with shooting through reflective surfaces ie glass and stuff like that. The things they can do when used correctly are amazing.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #7
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

97Blk_one's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post

He means camera, hence the photography section.
Sorry...hook'd on phonic does't wurk for me...
Old 05-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
always. i never use the lens cover. i just filter it up, and go.

i had a UV filter on my Leica. great protection.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltpilot View Post
Are they worth it? Do they provide any benefit that could not be achieved with post-processing (or in camera) software? Any particular ones you'd recommend?
maybe its just me, but i read this as a question about creative filters...

i got my start in photography before digital, and we used Cokin Classic P Series filters on medium format and 35mm film cameras...

in today's digital age, especially with one stop programs like Lightroom, it may not be worth the added expense to stock up on these on camera systems...

much of what you can do is achieved in post production and with the use of layers, you can create some great final production artwork...

you can find used filter systems online i'm sure, so if you have the cash and time, i say experiment with them and see what you can learn from the fundamentals of image capture with no digital manipulation...
Old 05-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #10
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Every lens on every camera I've ever owned that accepted add-on filters has had a UV/Haze filter installed from before it left the table when removed from the box.

Circular polarizer is good to have, but be careful, if shooting wide angle, the sky will get funky because the polarization changes as the field widens and you'll get dark/light areas.

Diffusers can be fun for portraits and other special effects.

Grads are useful if not overused. If in doubt, don't use a grad. They are good if you have an exceptionally bright background (like shooting into a sunset) and allow you to capture foreground detail that would normally be blacked out.

Another fun one is the "star"... love/hate among hobbyists, but they have their place. I have a 4/6/8 "ray" set.

Back on the polarizing filter....

The only difference between these two shots is the position of the polarizer.
I totally forgot that I had the polarizer until after taking the first shot (I had taken about 15 shots of the shrine up to that point).

Attached Thumbnails
Filters-dsc_0045-s.jpg   Filters-dsc_0046-s.jpg  
Old 05-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
CAPS CAPS CAPS!
asphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, B Co, 1st BN, 6th MAR ('93 - '97)
Name: Jason
asphaltpilot's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the input.

I'm thinking about buying a couple to give them a try. I especially like things I've been reading about ND filters, such as allowing for longer shutter speeds in daylight. I also want to get some beach photos but am pretty petrified with exposing my camera to those elements.