Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

Need some camera input

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #21
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TailDrag's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsdeere View Post
What is a good all purpose lens
Depends on budget, and what you primarily shoot when you take pictures. Most of mine is portraits and landscapes, with some macros. For this, and the price point, the 18-55 is great for Canon's, particularly for beginners.

There's a 15-85 that is raved on by pros and hobbyists, but it's also $650.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #22
Jeffsdeere is on a distinguished road
EMS: Life Saver
Name: Jeff
Jeffsdeere's Tacoma Gallery
So the 18-55 is a better all purpose than a 50mm
Old 07-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #23
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Definitely. The 50 is a prime lens (non adjustable focal length). I have a 50 and I never use it, it's just too damn long for what I want. So my kit lens sits on my camera pretty much always.

50s are popular. A 50 1.8 is around $100, 50 1.4 around $275, 50 1.2 is a bit more expensive.

But I think 50s are popular mostly due to the 50 1.8 being cheap to buy. Pros use them, but they buy the expensive, top end 50s. But they can be a good portrait lens for cheap if you get a good copy of the 50 1.8.

I have a 50 1.8, and I don't like it. Picture quality is good but, like I said, it sits in my bag because the 18-55 length is WAY more versatile for me.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #24
So much to learn! I think I will start with the t3, 18-55 as suggested and start playing with it. Thanks for all the help. Any suggested books??
Old 07-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #25
808DAKINE is on a distinguished road

Name: Kai
808DAKINE's Tacoma Gallery
I've been with nikon for a while. My first DSLR was the D5000. Great entry level camera

with a f8, 80-200mm lens. I soon outgrew that and got the D5100. Pretty cool

camera, swivel screen and what not. It had the capability to do something called

selective color: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWanc90hE_4

I was able to take some really cool photos.

I soon decided that I wanted more power and bought whats known as Prime

lens and a professional telescopic lens like you see on the side of football

games. With the better lens, i Decided to get a D7000 and sold off my 5000

& 5100. I plan on starting my own photography business, but when I do get

setup i might jump at a d800e only for the massive 36mp.

When it comes to nikon vs canon, they both have their weaknesses a

strengths. For me, I stick with Nikon because I have invested a lot in lens.

Either way, point and shoot

Old 07-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #26
Quote:
So much to learn! I think I will start with the t3, 18-55 as suggested and start playing with it. Thanks for all the help. Any suggested books??
Understanding Exposure, 3rd edition. Amazon.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #27
So I will order this- http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004J3...AC_SX112_SY192
With this- http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00483...m_p_6?pi=SS115
Any other must have accessories?
Old 07-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #28
Oh and I will order the book for the kindle also.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #29
Get a decent storage card. Charge your battery, and go have fun! Camera gear isn't all that cheap, so I would buy a camera, lens, and card and go shoot pictures. If you need something else or something more, you'll figure it out on the way and have an idea for what you need.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #30
Is the 16gb enough or should I buy an extra 32gb. It looks like its only about $25
Old 07-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #31
Sorry for the thread jack op. I hope you had some of your questions answered also. Once again tw comes through. I came in looking to spend 5-600 and came out spending 450. You all saved me from buying a kit that it sounds like I don't need and won't use. Looks like I am now a "Canon" person. From the research I made previous to today, which revolved around just the camera, the entry level dslr's are all very capable. It seems like you really can't make a "wrong" choice. Thanks again everyone!
Old 07-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #32
Quote:
Is the 16gb enough or should I buy an extra 32gb. It looks like its only about $25
Up to you. I have a 32 gb, and even when shooting on RAW I can take way more pictures than I could imagine taking. A 32 gb card shooting high quality jpegs will still let you take close to 10,000 images on that card.

I'd go with 2 16 gb over 1 32 gb, if doing it over again.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #33
AK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kyle
AK 08TACO's Tacoma Gallery
This is where you want to buy that if your doing so. I've bought lots of refurbs from canon. My 5d3 had only 50 actuations on the shutter, they look brand new and have all canon inspections/calibrations, so in some cases they are better than new.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/ca...it-refurbished
Old 07-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #34
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It seems like you really can't make a "wrong" choice. Thanks again everyone!
Pretty much. Anyone who says one is better than the other is just a fanboy. They're both fantastic and some bodies have better features than others, same with some glass.

The biggest thing I can say is learn what you like to shoot and buy your glass accordingly. Personally, an all round lens is okay, but having specific ones for specific tasks is best. Right tool for the right job.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:32 AM   #35
I just ordered a T3i. I ordered a refurb through amazon to save on shipping and tax. It was $479 delivered. I decided on the T3i in case I would somehow outgrow the T3. This is less than I was willing to spend on a T3 earlier today so I'm happy.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:24 AM   #36
AK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kyle
AK 08TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Good for you! Now you need to join the forums over at Fred Miranda.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #37
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sorry for the thread jack op. I hope you had some of your questions answered also. Once again tw comes through. I came in looking to spend 5-600 and came out spending 450. You all saved me from buying a kit that it sounds like I don't need and won't use. Looks like I am now a "Canon" person. From the research I made previous to today, which revolved around just the camera, the entry level dslr's are all very capable. It seems like you really can't make a "wrong" choice. Thanks again everyone!
No worries, your questions were more direct so I'm learning a lot. I'm on the hunt now and will be buying within the next couple weeks. I'm considering the T3i also, my cousin has one and I loved the pictures she took.

I found a Nikon D3100 kit that comes with 2 lenses, might be good for me to play around with. I'll never be a photographer, but just want decent pictures of my kid growing up. I don't think I'll get 'the bug' and keep upgrading, I'm looking for a good camera that will last a while, take good pictures and is fairly user friendly.

Also found a refurbished Canon T3 with the 18-55 IS lens that's pretty cheap. Might lean that way for now, save some money and see how I like it. Sounds like I can keep the lens and upgrade the body later if I choose.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #38
Not as new as my post count would appear
Scalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud of

Air Force: Once a B-1 Mechanic, now upper Management
Name: Brent
Scalded_Dawg's Tacoma Gallery
Purchased the Canon T3i package in December... great camera, easy to use, very versatile as a beginner set-up. The swivel screen is very nice; I actually move it around a lot (shots over a crowd, for example)
Most of our pictures are of dogs, daughters cheerleading and outdoors stuff (hiking, camping, etc...), so we wanted a more all around lens, instead of constantly switching between the 18-55 and the 55-250 lenses that came in the kit. Did some research and settled on the EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS ... great all around lens, stays on our camera all the time now. It was costly and it can be a bit heavy to haul around but more convienient and much crisper pictures than the other lenses.

Couple thoughts:
1) If I had it to do all over again... would have bought the body and a good lens seperately (I now have 2 lenses and a big bag I never use)
2) Memory cards -- 16GB is plenty, so long as you download them. More importantly is the write speed of the card; some cards state the speed (15, 30, 45, 80, or 95mb/s) anything less than 45mb/s you will have trouble taking multiple speed shots. I have the SanDisk ExtremePro 16GB at 95mb/s; it'll store as fast as the camera can shoot multi frame in sport mode.
3)Lens Filter - a cheap clear UV filter that screws to the front of your lens is cheap insurance; protecting the lens and making cleaning easier.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #39
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded_Dawg View Post
Purchased the Canon T3i package in December... great camera, easy to use, very versatile as a beginner set-up. The swivel screen is very nice; I actually move it around a lot (shots over a crowd, for example)
Most of our pictures are of dogs, daughters cheerleading and outdoors stuff (hiking, camping, etc...), so we wanted a more all around lens, instead of constantly switching between the 18-55 and the 55-250 lenses that came in the kit. Did some research and settled on the EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS ... great all around lens, stays on our camera all the time now. It was costly and it can be a bit heavy to haul around but more convienient and much crisper pictures than the other lenses.

Couple thoughts:
1) If I had it to do all over again... would have bought the body and a good lens seperately (I now have 2 lenses and a big bag I never use)
2) Memory cards -- 16GB is plenty, so long as you download them. More importantly is the write speed of the card; some cards state the speed (15, 30, 45, 80, or 95mb/s) anything less than 45mb/s you will have trouble taking multiple speed shots. I have the SanDisk ExtremePro 16GB at 95mb/s; it'll store as fast as the camera can shoot multi frame in sport mode.
3)Lens Filter - a cheap clear UV filter that screws to the front of your lens is cheap insurance; protecting the lens and making cleaning easier.
Thanks for the info! I don't think I'll be getting that lens just yet... a bit out of my price range I'll start out with the 'all-rounder' lens to get a feel of the SLR camera and the types of photos it'll take, then decide if a better lens would be an investment I'm willing to make.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #40
Image quality deteriorates with lenses with that wide of a focal range. Images at the narrow end won't be as clear, and same with pictures on the far end.

There is no single, do all perfect lens with long focal range. Some are great, but you will generally see better image quality from having a lens without that wide of range.

Products Discussed in this Thread