Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

Need some camera input

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #41
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailDrag View Post
Image quality deteriorates with lenses with that wide of a focal range. Images at the narrow end won't be as clear, and same with pictures on the far end.

There is no single, do all perfect lens with long focal range. Some are great, but you will generally see better image quality from having a lens without that wide of range.
Understood, but you mentioned earlier that it's a good starter lens. I'm not looking to be a professional photographer, I just want the ability to take good pictures and have a bit more versatility than a point a shoot. I'm sure there will be a learning curve and I might find that I need a different lens down the road but I need a starting point so to speak and the 18-55 seems like a decent one to start with.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #42
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TailDrag's Tacoma Gallery
It is. I was referring only to image quality. If you are casual or hobby user it will be fine. Just figure the image quality sweet spot will be in the middle range.
I have a 70-200 I don't use if you want it. Not a great lens but decent, and you can see if you might use a zoom lens. I don't anymore.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #43
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It is. I was referring only to image quality. If you are casual or hobby user it will be fine. Just figure the image quality sweet spot will be in the middle range.
I have a 70-200 I don't use if you want it. Not a great lens but decent, and you can see if you might use a zoom lens. I don't anymore.
What do you want for the lens? I might give that a shot. I do a lot of hiking where I'm trying to zoom in on something way up a slope or down in a gorge. If the price is right, I'd give it a shot. I'm primarily buying this now for taking decent shots of my kid.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #44
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
What do you want for the lens? I might give that a shot. I do a lot of hiking where I'm trying to zoom in on something way up a slope or down in a gorge. If the price is right, I'd give it a shot. I'm primarily buying this now for taking decent shots of my kid.
Shipping. If you want to PM me an address I can get an exact price. Would ship UPS Ground so I need to know if it's going to a residence or a business.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #45
Actually it'd be cheaper to do USPS Flat Rate. So under $10 just depends on box size.

I will stop by a post office this week as work permits, and let you know.

Anyway if interested, just let me know.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #46

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Actually it'd be cheaper to do USPS Flat Rate. So under $10 just depends on box size.

I will stop by a post office this week as work permits, and let you know.

Anyway if interested, just let me know.
PM inbound
Old 07-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #47
Got it. Will reply back later this week when.i get a box and all that squared away.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #48
Stormtrooper Corps
Alaskan toy is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
Alaskan toy's Tacoma Gallery
One tip for when the bug really starts to bite you, always shoot at the highest resolution. Even with the 18-55mm kit lens (the only one I have) you can crop photos later to get the exact shot you want.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #49

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan toy View Post
One tip for when the bug really starts to bite you, always shoot at the highest resolution. Even with the 18-55mm kit lens (the only one I have) you can crop photos later to get the exact shot you want.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Camera should be here next week so I can start messing with it a little before the baby comes.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #50
Stormtrooper Corps
Alaskan toy is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
Alaskan toy's Tacoma Gallery
Oh one more thing, invest in a polarized filter, I've got a cheaper one that I picked up from Best Buy, I think it was around $20. It rotates so you can always set it properly, won't reduce incoming light like a neutral density filter, and adds additional protection to your lens.

I leave mine on unless I want to fit another filter, I'd much rather scratch a $20 replaceable part, than ruin a lens.

Have fun with it!
Old 07-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #51

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan toy View Post
Oh one more thing, invest in a polarized filter, I've got a cheaper one that I picked up from Best Buy, I think it was around $20. It rotates so you can always set it properly, won't reduce incoming light like a neutral density filter, and adds additional protection to your lens.

I leave mine on unless I want to fit another filter, I'd much rather scratch a $20 replaceable part, than ruin a lens.

Have fun with it!
I was going to do the same thing, grab one at Best Buy. I read the same advice either earlier in this thread or doing my research. Guy said the same thing, protect the lens! That will be a new concept for me since all my previous cameras have been fairly cheap 'throw aways'.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:45 AM   #52

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
The camera just showed up yesterday, charged the battery last night and will break it out for the first time this weekend I appreciate the help from you guys! I might revive this thread in the future if my head starts spinning trying to figure out all the settings but for now I'm going to read the manual and try to get some first hand experience so I can ask more meaningful questions about the camera in the future.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #53
Read the manual, if you never read another again make it this one.

Products Discussed in this Thread