Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

Need some camera input

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Need some camera input

My wife and I are looking for a decent camera. Neither of us are photographers or even had anything more than a basic $100 camera but we're having our first kid and want to be able to take nice pictures. I need some advice on a decent entry level camera that's reliable, easy to use and relatively inexpensive. So, any suggestions?
Old 05-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
At a glance I'm looking at the Canon Powershot SX500, the Nikon Coolpix L610 and the Nikon Coolpix L820.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:58 AM   #3
AK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kyle
AK 08TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats on the kid!

Maybe too late, but i'd look at the Canon G15 as well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html
Old 07-10-2013, 03:12 AM   #4
NRA Endowment - Member
mwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mwc273's Tacoma Gallery
Once you get the bug, you will want better. I would recommend an entry level DSLR, one generation back. Like a Canon T3i. The kit lens will do fine for you for a year or two until you can afford to buy more/better lenses, that can then be used on the next body you upgrade to. Assuming you stay brand loyal.

I know this is a little more than you were looking to spend, but like I said... Once you get the bug...

Canon T3i (with entry level "kit" lens) is currently $600 on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...d-keywords=t3i
Old 07-10-2013, 03:24 AM   #5
Life is good!!
johneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohneman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Ordinance E-5
Name: Ken
johneman's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats on the little one. The missus has a Canon G12 which is an older version G15. She loves it. Takes great picture and can be used as a point and shoot but as you play with it more, it takes pictures like a bigger camera(can't change lenses like the bigger SLR's) Many other functions available. Post up some pics of the baby after they arrive.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:06 AM   #6
nomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to behold
Name: Trevor
nomad_archer's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats on the little one. I cant offer much advice on an entry level camera since my wife went off the deep end with photography and bought a semi-pro model out of the gate. She bought a nikon d7000 which is not on the cheap side by any means but as she has learned to use it she has taken some great photos.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #7

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys! I haven't bought one yet, still searching and have been spending money on the house getting it ready for the little one. I'll likely get one in the next couple weeks.

AK 08TACO, I'm in your neck of the woods now! I wish I bought the camera before we made the trip out here, it's beautiful in Alaska
Old 07-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
AK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK 08TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kyle
AK 08TACO's Tacoma Gallery
There is definitely a lot of photo opportunities here. Hope you enjoy the trip!
Old 07-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #9
Pick your poison
okie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shedokie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
okie's Tacoma Gallery
I just purchased my first DSLR yesterday. Nikon D3100.

I spent about a month reading/watching reviews/opinions of DLSR cameras till my head hurt...

Aperture this, ISO that, Auto vs Manual etc....Cannon vs Nikon vs Pentax vs Sony, this lens,that lens. ETC!

As of now Im just playin/shooting/learning what does what.

Trail & error sorta speak.

Youtube is your friend. Plethora of info
Old 07-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
Jeffsdeere is on a distinguished road
EMS: Life Saver
Name: Jeff
Jeffsdeere's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking for a camera also. Looking for the entry level dslr and between Sony, Nikon, and Canon I have no idea what is a better brand. Is it recommended to just get a basic camera with one lens or to spend an extra $50-100 and get a package with the case and multiple lenses? Are there any downsides to any particular brand? I am between the Nikon D3100, Sony A58, an Canon T3
Old 07-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #11
Hey Now!
w00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

w00dy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsdeere View Post
I'm looking for a camera also. Looking for the entry level dslr and between Sony, Nikon, and Canon I have no idea what is a better brand. Is it recommended to just get a basic camera with one lens or to spend an extra $50-100 and get a package with the case and multiple lenses? Are there any downsides to any particular brand? I am between the Nikon D3100, Sony A58, an Canon T3
Go with a Canon and save you sheckles for a good glass. Canon makes an excellent dslr. But the true difference in photo quality is the lens. For example, a great 35mm Canon offers goes down to f/1.4. That would be an ideal lens for almost any scenario.

Good luck!
Old 07-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #12
Andres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andres
Andres's Tacoma Gallery
Perhaps I could help if you could give me an idea of the budget you'd like to spend.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #13
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TailDrag's Tacoma Gallery
I have a T3i, but if I were getting a camera with baby pictures in mind, I'd find one with a fast Auto Focus and shutter speed.

I wouldn't go with a DSLR, unless you want one.

Also, anybody new to cameras (or DSLRs) should read the book "Understanding Exposure."
Old 07-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #14
Looking in the $500-600 range. Thanks for the quick reply
Old 07-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #15
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Check out canonpricewatch.com if you're looking for Canon cameras and lenses. They are factory refurbs which are excellent and you can save quite a bit of money.

I have a T3i with the 18-55 IS kit lens, and it's a pretty good lens for the money. You can find them second hand if you care to save some cash, and buy the camera body only.

But it's a good lens, and I recommend it.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #16
Any opinions I. This kit
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004VN...AC_SX112_SY192
Old 07-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #17
Do you need the tripod, bag, and extra stuff? The tripod will be acceptable but not sturdy enough for long exposures outdoors (wind). The zoom lens is fine enough but basic zooms aren't always good quality. Both of mine are crap, anyway.

I wouldn't buy everything in a Do All kit, because in the end you'll end up wishing you'd spent that extra money on things better built.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #18
So if I go with the T3 body only, then what lens should I get?
Old 07-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #19
What is a good all purpose lens
Old 07-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #20
I'd go with a T3 body and the 18-55 IS kit lens. If you discover you need a zoom lens (I have 2 I don't use, that are kit zooms and the picture quality generally sucks) then I'd look for one at that time.

90% of my pictures are with the T3i and 18-55. It's a great kit for the price.

Products Discussed in this Thread