1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HDR Help?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by DanGer, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Jul 3, 2009 at 10:11 AM
    DanGer

DanGer [OP] Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    I love the result of the tone mapping in HDR images, but am a little unsure on how to produce them. Can someone give me some rough basics on how to properly CAPTURE the images? The rest I have found online, but I am a little confused about the proper way to capture the images

Thanks!

2. Jul 3, 2009 at 1:25 PM
    2k6750

2k6750 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Naples FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 SWB Prerunner Double Cab TRD Offroad
    Toytec coilovers set at 3", 5100 shocks all around, rear AAL and 1"block, 18" Moto Metal 951's with 285/60/18 Terra Grapplers, Leer Topper, de-badged, T-rex billet grille, BHLM, K&N intake, Jardine catback, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, 8" kicker solo barik, Clarion 7" in dash dvd player. 12.1" flip down screen
    Viet is pretty good at this. Ask him in his post. I'm sure he'll explain it to ya.

3. Jul 3, 2009 at 1:29 PM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    I hate to be a dick dan, but google it(i'm speaking out of experience.) I googled it and have done a few pretty good pictures from the few tutorials i've seen(I have experience with dslr cameras). Theres a program that will do it for you but it obviously isn't as good as sitting down and taking your time with it.

4. Jul 3, 2009 at 3:13 PM
    johnecon2001

johnecon2001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab
    Downey front skid, Trail Gear U-Bolt flip, Toytec AAL, Total Chaos UCA's, Bilstein 5100's x4 + Eibach adjustable coils, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Custom Rear bumper, TRD OffRoad front tow hook, TRD Trail Team wheels, Federal Couragia M/T 265's, ARB rear locker + on board air (CKMA12), TRD shift knob, Alpine W205, TRD seat covers, Tom Woods 1 Piece drive shaft, Powermaster D2700, Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders.
    You need to take three different shots, each spaced 1/3rd of an EV apart.
    If your camera isn't capable of taking the three shots, take one and then change the exposure three times in Photoshop.
    You want to end up with one at -3, one at 0, and one at +3.

5. Jul 3, 2009 at 3:15 PM
    TRICOMA

TRICOMA Tacoma with the TRI package

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
    Like john said...you need to bracket your shoots. You can also get a program...the free version is just like the full version but you have watermarks on the pictures. Look up Photomatix on Google.

6. Jul 3, 2009 at 6:42 PM
    DanGer

DanGer [OP] Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,

No problem. That was the first thing I did and it told me everything to do after you have the exposures, but I could not figure out exactly what to take with my camers

Thanks john!

7. Jul 4, 2009 at 12:49 AM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    Daytime shots need the minimum amount, which are 3 shots. One at -2, 0, and +2. If you have time and want better results, take two more at -1 and +1. I always take at least 7-9 shots for night time. You will then need a software to merge these images together to create the high dynamic range image.

8. Jul 6, 2009 at 5:22 PM
    SiRMarlon

SiRMarlon The Photo Ninja!

Member:
    First Name:
    Marlon
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Canon 5D MarkIII
    You should do a write up homie...I've been shooting for a while and I still can't get any HDR shots like yours. :)

9. Jul 9, 2009 at 1:03 AM
    SiRMarlon

Member:
    First Name:
    Marlon
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Canon 5D MarkIII
    So I actually put some effort in to completely following the rules of shooting HDR and using photomatix I was able to complie a pretty good shot...this is my first real crack at trying to do some HDR...i've tried it in the past but gave up really quick. So this time I actually followed through...hahaha

So this was the final product...not the greatest but it's a start I guess...I took these realy quick after we closed down the shop this evening...

[​IMG]

So I got this one shot by combing these 3 shots right here...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Jul 9, 2009 at 2:35 PM
    Viet2100

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    That is actually not bad!

11. Jul 9, 2009 at 2:37 PM
    TRICOMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
    Nice Marlon

12. Jul 9, 2009 at 2:39 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I want to live in an HDR world.

13. Jul 9, 2009 at 2:55 PM
    SiRMarlon

Member:
    First Name:
    Marlon
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Canon 5D MarkIII
    I tried it with Photoshop but found it to be easier with Photomatix...got it done really quick and did some quick edits in photoshop once Potomatix had done it's thing. It takes more editing to do the artsy HDR shots as I was playing with Photomatix but I found this one to be more pleasing to the eye. It doesn't have a surreal feeling to it I like natural looking shots so thats why I did not get to crazy...

14. Jul 9, 2009 at 3:35 PM
    TRICOMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    Here is my attempt at HDR

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Jul 9, 2009 at 10:48 PM
    Viet2100

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    Good attempt.

16. Jul 9, 2009 at 10:50 PM
    TRICOMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    Once I actually sit down and play with it I hope to get some good shots. That was just a quicky messing with Photomatix. Your pictures Viet are so sick...that's the first time i saw HDR was from here.

17. Jul 12, 2009 at 8:22 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    I can do HDR, and I can do it well. The problem lies in properly mapping the light. The BMW shot above is awesome, however the car is actually darker than the rest of the photo which draws the attention away. Like said before, Google it.

I generally use Photomatrix and then touch up my work in photoshop with dodging and burning. If I remember in the morning, I"ll post a few of my shots.

18. Jul 12, 2009 at 8:41 PM
    TRICOMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    Photomatix has a full trial download which i used. I didn't change anything just followed a directions from a online tutorial. Once I get the time to sit down and learn more things like that will be fixed.

19. Jul 13, 2009 at 1:55 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    http://anonymousphotography.deviantart.com/gallery/#HDR

I stopped doing alot of it ages ago. Between my camera and Lightroom I can create the same effects without all the work.

Heres the only recent ones I've done:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just threw a couple others in my gallery.

Both displayed photos required alot of Dodge/Burn to recover lost highlights from Photomatrix. I recommend setting the tool around 6% and a brush width enough so that it doesn't leave 'tracks'

20. Jul 13, 2009 at 6:30 AM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    I know this is kinda obvious but it wasn't said earlier so I just want to make sure you know this, You need to put the camera on a tripod or something to prevent any movement of the camera. Then bracket the shots or put it in manual mode.

Products Discussed in

To Top