Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

HDR Help?

Old 07-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
HDR Help?

I love the result of the tone mapping in HDR images, but am a little unsure on how to produce them. Can someone give me some rough basics on how to properly CAPTURE the images? The rest I have found online, but I am a little confused about the proper way to capture the images

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
I hate to be a dick dan, but google it(i'm speaking out of experience.) I googled it and have done a few pretty good pictures from the few tutorials i've seen(I have experience with dslr cameras). Theres a program that will do it for you but it obviously isn't as good as sitting down and taking your time with it.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
Banned
johnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
johnecon2001's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to johnecon2001
You need to take three different shots, each spaced 1/3rd of an EV apart.
If your camera isn't capable of taking the three shots, take one and then change the exposure three times in Photoshop.
You want to end up with one at -3, one at 0, and one at +3.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:15 PM   #5
Tacoma with the TRI package
TRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tri
TRICOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRICOMA Send a message via MSN to TRICOMA
Like john said...you need to bracket your shoots. You can also get a program...the free version is just like the full version but you have watermarks on the pictures. Look up Photomatix on Google.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #6
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaflaw123 View Post
I hate to be a dick dan, but google it(i'm speaking out of experience.) I googled it and have done a few pretty good pictures from the few tutorials i've seen(I have experience with dslr cameras). Theres a program that will do it for you but it obviously isn't as good as sitting down and taking your time with it.

No problem. That was the first thing I did and it told me everything to do after you have the exposures, but I could not figure out exactly what to take with my camers

Thanks john!
Old 07-04-2009, 01:49 AM   #7
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Daytime shots need the minimum amount, which are 3 shots. One at -2, 0, and +2. If you have time and want better results, take two more at -1 and +1. I always take at least 7-9 shots for night time. You will then need a software to merge these images together to create the high dynamic range image.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:22 PM   #8
The Photo Ninja!
SiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marlon
SiRMarlon's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to SiRMarlon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet2100 View Post
Daytime shots need the minimum amount, which are 3 shots. One at -2, 0, and +2. If you have time and want better results, take two more at -1 and +1. I always take at least 7-9 shots for night time. You will then need a software to merge these images together to create the high dynamic range image.
You should do a write up homie...I've been shooting for a while and I still can't get any HDR shots like yours.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:03 AM   #9
The Photo Ninja!
SiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shed

So I actually put some effort in to completely following the rules of shooting HDR and using photomatix I was able to complie a pretty good shot...this is my first real crack at trying to do some HDR...i've tried it in the past but gave up really quick. So this time I actually followed through...hahaha

So this was the final product...not the greatest but it's a start I guess...I took these realy quick after we closed down the shop this evening...

So I got this one shot by combing these 3 shots right here...

Old 07-09-2009, 03:35 PM   #10
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

That is actually not bad!
Old 07-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #12
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I want to live in an HDR world.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #13
The Photo Ninja!

I tried it with Photoshop but found it to be easier with Photomatix...got it done really quick and did some quick edits in photoshop once Potomatix had done it's thing. It takes more editing to do the artsy HDR shots as I was playing with Photomatix but I found this one to be more pleasing to the eye. It doesn't have a surreal feeling to it I like natural looking shots so thats why I did not get to crazy...
Old 07-09-2009, 11:48 PM   #15

Good attempt.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:50 PM   #16
TRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TRICOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Once I actually sit down and play with it I hope to get some good shots. That was just a quicky messing with Photomatix. Your pictures Viet are so sick...that's the first time i saw HDR was from here.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:22 PM   #17
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
I can do HDR, and I can do it well. The problem lies in properly mapping the light. The BMW shot above is awesome, however the car is actually darker than the rest of the photo which draws the attention away. Like said before, Google it.

I generally use Photomatrix and then touch up my work in photoshop with dodging and burning. If I remember in the morning, I"ll post a few of my shots.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:41 PM   #18

TRICOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Photomatix has a full trial download which i used. I didn't change anything just followed a directions from a online tutorial. Once I get the time to sit down and learn more things like that will be fixed.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:55 AM   #19
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
http://anonymousphotography.deviantart.com/gallery/#HDR

I stopped doing alot of it ages ago. Between my camera and Lightroom I can create the same effects without all the work.

Heres the only recent ones I've done:

I just threw a couple others in my gallery.

Both displayed photos required alot of Dodge/Burn to recover lost highlights from Photomatrix. I recommend setting the tool around 6% and a brush width enough so that it doesn't leave 'tracks'
Old 07-13-2009, 07:30 AM   #20
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
I know this is kinda obvious but it wasn't said earlier so I just want to make sure you know this, You need to put the camera on a tripod or something to prevent any movement of the camera. Then bracket the shots or put it in manual mode.