1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How long does it take film to expire?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by mreimann, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Nov 4, 2009 at 9:45 PM
    mreimann

mreimann [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '15 double cab Limited
    Icon C/O, Fox 2.0, All Pro Expo 2.0 leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, Airflow snorkel, Custom Built Bed Rack, Pelfrey aluminum front bumper and IFS skid, All Pro aluminum rear bumper, SmittyBuilt winch. RTT
    So i found an old camera and it had some film (not in the camera, still in film canister) and when i had it developed none of the pictures turned out. they were all faded red.

so was this my fault (i was doing long exposure photos at night) or just old film?

i took most of the pictures more than once and with different exposure lengths and such to make sure didn't over expose or under expose......so really doubt that it was my fault.

But i wasn't sure if film expire or not and how old it had to be:eek:

2. Nov 4, 2009 at 10:01 PM
    brianr

brianr go shit in your hat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...
    expired film doesnt neccesary mean it was bad. I have purchased "expired" rolls of film from shops, exposed the film and when it was processed it was just fine. "expired" film usually older than a year is no good if it wasnt kept cold.

Film should always be stored in a refrigerator or freezer. Lower temperatures prolong the decay.

Any film that is purchased should be refregerated up until a few days before exposure. If you dont plan on having the film proccessed immediately, put it back into the cold storage.

I have 10 or so roll of exposed slide film from about 5 years ago that is still in my refrigerator.

Mixed colors on exposed and processed film is sure sign moisture had reached the film pre-process.

3. Nov 4, 2009 at 10:13 PM
    mreimann

mreimann [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '15 double cab Limited
    Icon C/O, Fox 2.0, All Pro Expo 2.0 leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, Airflow snorkel, Custom Built Bed Rack, Pelfrey aluminum front bumper and IFS skid, All Pro aluminum rear bumper, SmittyBuilt winch. RTT
    yah, i'm sure it was expired then. it was at room temp for probly 5+ years

but the cold film thing is good, cuz i have a bag full thats been in the freezer:bananadance:

4. Nov 5, 2009 at 4:25 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I had some old 'disposable' cameras around for around 5 years before I got them developed. I was lucky to get only a few good pictures out of the entire 2 cameras (24exp).

5. Nov 5, 2009 at 4:48 AM
    xodeuce

xodeuce mmmmmmbourbon.

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    If you've got film you know is expired, put it in the camera, shoot stuff that you won't be really pissed if it doesn't turn out (i.e. not the birth of your first child) and then take it and tell the lab you want it cross processed. This means they develop slide film in negative film chemicals and vice versa. It makes some really funky colors and contrast. I had a few rolls that I did that with, and some of them turned out pretty well. The look is similar to a lot of the digital post processing that is really popular right now.

Products Discussed in

To Top