Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

How long does it take film to expire?

Old 11-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
vv I think it's growing
mreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mreimann's Tacoma Gallery
How long does it take film to expire?

So i found an old camera and it had some film (not in the camera, still in film canister) and when i had it developed none of the pictures turned out. they were all faded red.

so was this my fault (i was doing long exposure photos at night) or just old film?

i took most of the pictures more than once and with different exposure lengths and such to make sure didn't over expose or under expose......so really doubt that it was my fault.

But i wasn't sure if film expire or not and how old it had to be
Old 11-04-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
expired film doesnt neccesary mean it was bad. I have purchased "expired" rolls of film from shops, exposed the film and when it was processed it was just fine. "expired" film usually older than a year is no good if it wasnt kept cold.

Film should always be stored in a refrigerator or freezer. Lower temperatures prolong the decay.

Any film that is purchased should be refregerated up until a few days before exposure. If you dont plan on having the film proccessed immediately, put it back into the cold storage.

I have 10 or so roll of exposed slide film from about 5 years ago that is still in my refrigerator.

Mixed colors on exposed and processed film is sure sign moisture had reached the film pre-process.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:13 PM   #3
vv I think it's growing
mreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mreimann's Tacoma Gallery
yah, i'm sure it was expired then. it was at room temp for probly 5+ years

but the cold film thing is good, cuz i have a bag full thats been in the freezer
Old 11-05-2009, 04:48 AM   #5
mmmmmmbourbon.
xodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xodeuce's Tacoma Gallery
If you've got film you know is expired, put it in the camera, shoot stuff that you won't be really pissed if it doesn't turn out (i.e. not the birth of your first child) and then take it and tell the lab you want it cross processed. This means they develop slide film in negative film chemicals and vice versa. It makes some really funky colors and contrast. I had a few rolls that I did that with, and some of them turned out pretty well. The look is similar to a lot of the digital post processing that is really popular right now.