Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

nikon d5000

Old 11-11-2009, 05:27 AM   #1
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
nikon d5000

anybody else have the new nikon d5000.just picked one up for the wife with extra zoom.very nice unit imo.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
Male Member
Taco Ron is a splendid one to beholdTaco Ron is a splendid one to beholdTaco Ron is a splendid one to beholdTaco Ron is a splendid one to beholdTaco Ron is a splendid one to beholdTaco Ron is a splendid one to beholdTaco Ron is a splendid one to behold

Taco Ron's Tacoma Gallery
I've got one.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
I want one!!
Old 11-29-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
theyre sweet! i have a d60

but id rather a have a d300 or d90
Old 11-29-2009, 08:40 PM   #6
focotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

focotacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

I got me a D5000 for my first DSLR and was extremely pleased with its features, i do a lot of artistic and ski photography its a really nice set up...
Did you take advantage of the Black Friday sale at Best Buy??

Btw just for your knowledge I have recently switched to Canon Cameras I have a MarkIII and a Rebel T1i which I believe is the same level appx as the D5000 and also on sale at bestbuy this week....
The reason I swithched is because all Canon lenses are interchangeable with all of their cameras

This is because all of there cameras have the same sized hole in the camera body unlike nikons which vary on the model.... very important to think about when buying additional lenses online or on ebay for cheaper.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:52 PM   #7
Male Member
Taco Ron is a splendid one to beholdTaco Ron is a splendid one to beholdTaco Ron is a splendid one to beholdTaco Ron is a splendid one to beholdTaco Ron is a splendid one to beholdTaco Ron is a splendid one to beholdTaco Ron is a splendid one to behold

I picked mine up back when they were $850 for just the body and basic lense. I'd like to pick up the zoom lense but its so salty. I haven't really spent enough time using the camera how its intended. I need to sometime . . .
Old 11-29-2009, 09:17 PM   #8
mmmmmmbourbon.
xodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xodeuce's Tacoma Gallery
That's not true about Nikon lenses. All Nikon cameras use the Nikon F-Mount lens mount. There are DX lenses that have a smaller image circle that is optimized for DX sized sensors. If a DX lens is used on a FX sized sensor, you will get vignetting on the corners because it is designed to be used with a smaller sensor. Same thing with a Canon EF-S lens on a Canon EF mount camera.

Canon has used the FD and EF mount systems, and the standard changed to EF in 1987. There is good glass from the pre 1987 FD mount system that cannot be used (without additional hardware and effort) with the new EF mount.

Nikon on the other hand has kept their F mounting system that was introduced in 1959 and chose to integrate things like auto aperture, auto focus, etc, rather than invent a new mount. As a result, any nikon lens ever made will work on any nikon camera ever made. The one exception is backwards compatibility with lenses that lack a manual aperture ring, as they will only work on the later generation F mount bodies that have aperture control digitally in camera.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:22 PM   #9
kraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kraaazymike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xodeuce View Post
That's not true about Nikon lenses. All Nikon cameras use the Nikon F-Mount lens mount. There are DX lenses that have a smaller image circle that is optimized for DX sized sensors. If a DX lens is used on a FX sized sensor, you will get vignetting on the corners because it is designed to be used with a smaller sensor. Same thing with a Canon EF-S lens on a Canon EF mount camera.

Canon has used the FD and EF mount systems, and the standard changed to EF in 1987. There is good glass from the pre 1987 FD mount system that cannot be used (without additional hardware and effort) with the new EF mount.

Nikon on the other hand has kept their F mounting system that was introduced in 1959 and chose to integrate things like auto aperture, auto focus, etc, rather than invent a new mount. As a result, any nikon lens ever made will work on any nikon camera ever made. The one exception is backwards compatibility with lenses that lack a manual aperture ring, as they will only work on the later generation F mount bodies that have aperture control digitally in camera.
+1! The man knows his stuff! I'm a Canon guy, but only because that's what was on sale at the store. Canon vs Nikon.... Chevy vs Ford. All good cameras, it's the person behind the lens that counts.

Enjoy that D5000 pataco!
Old 11-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #10
Male Member

xo sounds like he knows what he is talking about. He lost me though. +1 rep point.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:24 PM   #11
kraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kraaazymike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Ron View Post
xo sounds like he knows what he is talking about. He lost me though. +1 rep point.

In a nut shell, Nikon bodies of today can accept the older but still good Nikon lenses. Canon changed their mount in the late 80's and they are not typically compatible.

The DX/FX EF/EF-S we won't go into unless you really really want to learn.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:59 PM   #12
mmmmmmbourbon.
xodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xodeuce's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, it's all semantics for most users. From what I've found, the majority of people who are buying a first DSLR / D5000 level camera in MOST cases will not ever use old Nikon AI-S lenses or the like. Same thing with the Digital Rebel cameras. They're just aimed at a different user than the Canon 1D, 5D, Nikon D3, D700, D300, or other > $1500 body cameras. With the old manual focus lenses you really have to want to use a lens for a particular "look and feel" of the photo before you're willing to deal with the additional effort. All the automatic features of your brand new shiny DSLR go to pot when you put a 30 year old lens on it. However, the pics can be really nice looking if you know what you're doing, but conversely, they can be total shite if you don't. Bottom line, if you're buying your first DSLR, Nikon, Canon, doesn't matter. The important thing is to get out and SHOOT as much as possible. Like kraaazymike said, the person behind the camera is more important than the brand name on the camera itself.

I've had lots of friends ask me which is better, and here's my take (not that you asked ) If you've already got accessories and lenses for a brand, stick with that just for the extra value of the gear you've got. If you don't have accessories, just take $1k and buy a kit from either manufacturer, and don't look back. Canon and Nikon are top in class competitors for a reason, and it's not because their cameras are vastly inferior to one another. I shoot Nikon, but it's because I had lenses and a flash from a film camera back in the day (12 years ago), and it didn't make sense to switch to Canon when I got my first DSLR (D70). I've wished at times for certain Canon accessories (I'm seriously jonesing for a 24mm F1.4 ) but in the end I get the results I want with the gear I have 98% of the time. When I decide the extra 2% is worth the cost of replacing all my gear with Canon I might jump ship, but for now I'm happy with Nikon.

Enjoy the new toys though!
Old 11-30-2009, 06:15 PM   #13
Gitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant future
Name: Justin
Gitmo's Tacoma Gallery
I have a d80 still =\. Waiting for the next camera after d90 .
Old 12-01-2009, 01:52 PM   #14
MC1983 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
MC1983's Tacoma Gallery
I am still using a D70s. I had a lens and flash from my N90s i used in my high school photo class 10 years ago. The D70s doesn't have all the bells and whistles that these newer generation cameras do, but still gets the job done for me. Only drawback to the D3000, D5000, etc are the need for lenses with built in focus motors as the older AF lenses wont autofocus on them. Either way, the d3000 and d5000 is a great camera starter camera learn on.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:02 PM   #15
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by focotacoma View Post
I got me a D5000 for my first DSLR and was extremely pleased with its features, i do a lot of artistic and ski photography its a really nice set up...
Did you take advantage of the Black Friday sale at Best Buy??

Btw just for your knowledge I have recently switched to Canon Cameras I have a MarkIII and a Rebel T1i which I believe is the same level appx as the D5000 and also on sale at bestbuy this week....
The reason I swithched is because all Canon lenses are interchangeable with all of their cameras

This is because all of there cameras have the same sized hole in the camera body unlike nikons which vary on the model.... very important to think about when buying additional lenses online or on ebay for cheaper.
This is exactly what had me sold on purchasing a Canon Rebel XS for my father. His EOS 750 (35mm) lenses are compatible with his D-SLR. Cant go wrong with that IMO.