1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need opinion on a camera...

Discussion in 'Photography' started by pittim, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Feb 10, 2010 at 3:07 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    The "battery carrier" is acutally a slide in tray that holds AA batteries.

The battery grip is set up to use AA batteries as a back-up if your regular rechargable batteries loose power and you don't have any spares.

IMO $500 is a bit over priced for this set-up.

You can go to ebay and see what these items sell for every day.

I wouldn't offer more than $400, and here's why; I have a 40D set up similar to this one, and it's not the most current offering from Canon. The 50D is Canon's most up to date body in the "Prosumer" line of DSLR's, and it's almost time for Canon to offer an updated camera body. About every 18 months, Canon puts a new DSLR on the market. When the new camera bodies hit the stores, the selling prices of the older models take a plung regardless of condition.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Feb 10, 2010 at 6:29 PM
    pittim

pittim [OP] mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    There's a 40D w/ 8k actuations + 4gb card here for $600. I'd have to buy a lens, so it woul d make everything around $700.

IDK if I'm ready to drop that much coin on something I really dont know much about.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Feb 10, 2010 at 6:37 PM
    ocabj

ocabj Well-Known Member

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Pyrite Mica Tacoma Standard Cab
    I disagree that $500 is overpriced. The 30D is a great camera body, still. Plus for $500 there's the lens plus grip and batteries included.

Yes, the 40D has improvements over the 30D, but the 30D isn't a slouch and doesn't lose much to the 40D. 50D? Short of a couple of new features (processor, more pixels, microadjusment), the 50D wasn't a big jump from the 40D.

If I were the OP, I would get the 30D package at $500. Resell the grip and lens which should yield $100 net. Then get a 50mm f/1.8 for $100 and learn on that.

Yes, I shoot Canon. I have a 7D and a 40D.

4. Feb 10, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    if you dont feel ready to step into this as a hobby, then maybe try your hand with a used starter camera like a Rebel... it will feel like a toy, but it's a way to intro yourself into it all... when you feel ready, then step up... if you end up not getting into it enough to justify the cost, then you will have only lost out on the cost of the Rebel...

5. Feb 10, 2010 at 7:34 PM
    pittim

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    Hands dont fit on a Rebel...used one in HS in my photography class (2006, so I think it was either a Rebel or Rebel XT.) Even on a tripod I didnt like gripping it. And they're only gettin smaller. Played around with a Nikon D40 and that didnt feel good at all either.

6. Feb 10, 2010 at 7:38 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Use the same lens on my 40D, worth every penny.

Will the seller let you try it out?

:popcorn:

7. Feb 10, 2010 at 7:59 PM
    pittim

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    The ad for the 40D says local pick up only I want you to see it and try it out, bring a lens.

I'm assuming I could just put one of his lenses on (looked him up thru a phone number, owns a studio) before I decide to buy or not.

8. Feb 10, 2010 at 8:04 PM
    xodeuce

xodeuce mmmmmmbourbon.

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    If you want to get a good idea on used prices check out KEH.com. They have a very accurate rating system, and they usually have good prices. I always check there to get an idea of fair prices on used gear.

9. Feb 16, 2010 at 7:24 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    What happened with the camera, did you pick it up?

10. Feb 16, 2010 at 10:02 PM
    pittim

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    There was a guy infront of me that was interested...seller never got back to me.

I decided I dont really have a need for a DSLR right now anyway though. Would rather save the money and put it towards a 2nd rig or a motorcycle in the summer, or do something boring like keep it in savings :p

Products Discussed in

To Top