1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need opinion on a camera...

Discussion in 'Photography' started by pittim, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Feb 7, 2010 at 10:04 AM
    pittim

pittim [OP] mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    There's a guy near me selling a 30D, BG-E2 grip w/ batts, and a Sigma 28-90mm lens for $500. I'm thinking that this would be a pretty nice DSLR setup to get into. My hands dont really fit on the new compact entry level DSLRs, so I gotta go with something bigger.

Guy says he's had it for 3 years...no idea on how many shutter actuations it has on it. I'm not really TOO worried about it though since it's rated to 100,000 clicks.

Think 500 bones is a good deal assuming it's in good condition?

2. Feb 7, 2010 at 10:05 AM
    JAG

JAG Well-Known Member

Member:
    i think jdmcq or panda jerk could help.... They're camera savy...

3. Feb 7, 2010 at 10:45 AM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    The camera body alone sells for around $380-$410 (used)
    I don't think that Sigma makes a 28-90mm lens.
    There is a Canon version of that lens that sells for about $80-$90 (used) so the Sigma version would likely be a little cheaper. That doesn't necessarily mean that the Sigma lens isn't a good quality lens. I have a Sigma 18-200mm on my Nikon D90 and it a great lens.
    The grip is worth around $30-$40 (used).

Digital Photography Review has great camera reviews.
    Here is their review for the camera.

So ... assuming that it's in good condition, you know the person who is selling it, and you don't have to pay for shipping, I'd say that the price is OK. The camera body was around $1300 new (without a lens). I'd offer him $400 or $450 and see what happens.

Cheers. :cheers:

4. Feb 7, 2010 at 12:42 PM
    BeardedWeirdo

BeardedWeirdo Junior Mint

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC SR5 PreRunner
    Barcelona Red Pop & Lock, Tint, New Shoes, Removed Rear Headrests, Grille(in the works)
    You should definitely try to find out how many times the shutter has been fired. 100,000 is a lot and is pretty much the standard most cameras rate their shutters at. It's easy with a DSLR, where it doesn't cost anything to press the shutter, to fire off a lot of pics. I've had days when I've shot 1,000+ just because of where I was or what I was shooting. Now couple that information with the fact that this model is 4 years old. I would say that it is very possible this guy is close, if not over, 100,000.

Also, since the batteries are used they may not hold a charge as long. I would also inspect the glass on the lens to make sure it's in good condition.

5. Feb 7, 2010 at 4:36 PM
    JAG

JAG Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm looking at a d60... would you suggest just buying new or are there actual cameras I can buy used.... i had been looking on ebay.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Feb 7, 2010 at 6:14 PM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    if the guy is not a pro shooter, the body may not have as much use into it even though it's a few years old...

i have sold off my old papparazi cameras (10D and two 20D bodies) that were used for several hours a night for 4 years solid... never had any issues with them, and never serviced... sold them off a couple years ago...

the 10D i sold back in 2005, i just heard from the new owner again this morning and she has used the camera on average 3 times a week to take pics of her kids... she says it works as solidly as it did when i first sold it to her...

one of the 20D bodies i sold back in 2008 to a fellow photographer who still uses it as his primary camera for his clients and projects... still performs solidly as well...

so long as the camera body has not been dropped by the original owner, you should be ok... if you are a recreational shooter, the 30D is within a solid line of cameras from Canon... if you are a pro or budding pro shooter, I would suggest investing in a newer model...

as for the asking price, you really want just the body and the BG-E2 grip, so aim for $400 to $450... if it's an original Canon BG-E2, it's worth a lil more than a generic BG-E2 grip as it's serviceable by Canon directly...

if the batteries are original Canon batteries, they should be fine as well... i am currently running on batteries that are 4 to 5 years old with no issues... i have tried the generic batteries and they were only good for a couple years...

7. Feb 7, 2010 at 7:32 PM
    BeardedWeirdo

BeardedWeirdo Junior Mint

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC SR5 PreRunner
    Barcelona Red Pop & Lock, Tint, New Shoes, Removed Rear Headrests, Grille(in the works)
    You can usually find some good deals on eBay. The only problem is you're dealing with eBay and may or may not get ripped off, scammed, etc. I'm not saying you will, but it's the risk associated with eBay. B&H Photo and Adorama both have used departments and sell used bodies, lenses and accessories on their websites. They'll have them rated according to their condition. You might pay a little more than you would on eBay, but there's no chance of misrepresentation and they have a decent return policy if you don't like it when you get it.

8. Feb 7, 2010 at 8:12 PM
    pittim

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    Thanks Mike.

Right now I just want it as a step up of p+s. Theres just so little customization that I can do with my p+s that I want to step up to a DSLR. I think the 30D is a good choice over a newer consumer camera (better build quality) that I could get for around the same price. If I end up getting more into photography and start getting paid, the 30D would be a great backup too.

If I just got the body and batts, what kinda glass you think would be good for starters? I'll probably wind up getting a 50/1.8 within the near future of the body, but I would like something that zooms for my first lens. Something around $100 new/used.

9. Feb 7, 2010 at 8:15 PM
    AriZonaD54

AriZonaD54 BANNED in 49 states...

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Valley of the Sun
    Check out the Panasonic Lumix GF1 and/or the Olympus Pen E-P2.

Both are referred to as 4/3rds DSLRs with interchangeable lenses. And they can both shoot HD video up to 720.

[​IMG]

10. Feb 7, 2010 at 8:15 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    Just buy a CANON, I have the 40D with a bettery grip too, it's PERFECT!

11. Feb 7, 2010 at 8:16 PM
    AriZonaD54

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Valley of the Sun
    I gave up my Full Frame Canon DSLR to buy one of these shortly. They aren't a direct replacement, but for what I need these days, they are perfect. Plus they are WAAAY less bulky.

12. Feb 7, 2010 at 8:18 PM
    ywen

ywen Well-Known Member

Member:
    There is no way to find out shutter actuation on a 30D.. only Canon factory has the capability of reading that value.

To get a gauge of how much usage the camera has seen.. Look for signs like smoothing of the plastic or wear on the metal. Camera that has been handled alot will have a smooth/glossy shutter button and the corners of the camera body on the left hand side will be rounded and smoothed from hand holding.

13. Feb 7, 2010 at 8:36 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!

I have to agree, the 30D is a workhorse. New, that body was over a grand and the battery grip was $200 to $300 dollars. No clue about the lens but I'm guessing $200 to 500 dollars new. You will need batteries and a compact flash. You will need two batteries for that grip but it will operate with one. Make sure the original battery door for the camera is still with the camera, you have to remove it to attach the grip. Batteries are going to be about $30 to $50 each depending on the brand and where you buy them. Compact flash for a 4 gig card will be about $25 to $50 depending where you buy it also. If it someone you know ask to use it for a weekend, if all is good I would pull the trigger on it. Might offer $450. to see if you can save a few bucks.

14. Feb 7, 2010 at 8:38 PM
    pittim

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    Comes with 3 batteries.

15. Feb 7, 2010 at 8:44 PM
    pittim

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    [​IMG]

Anybody know whats above the battery in this picture?

16. Feb 7, 2010 at 9:02 PM
    AriZonaD54

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Valley of the Sun
    ^ it's the double battery carrier for the battery/ hand grip.. Above that is a lens cap.

17. Feb 7, 2010 at 9:11 PM
    pittim

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    so the batteries go in that, then that thing goes into the grip?

and by the looks of it, the battery door on the body might not be there.

18. Feb 7, 2010 at 9:14 PM
    mikesdoublecab

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    x2...

its the body, grip, battery, charger, and AA battery holder... u can use AA batteries on these cams but the battery life isnt much...

as for lens, glass means everything...

i use a Canon 24-105 4L on my 5D... lens is about $1,100 new but worth every penny...

19. Feb 7, 2010 at 9:15 PM
    mikesdoublecab

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    i wouldnt sweat the battery door if u have the grip...

20. Feb 8, 2010 at 8:29 AM
    ocabj

ocabj Well-Known Member

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Pyrite Mica Tacoma Standard Cab
    The 30D is a fine camera. I was actually looking to get a used 20D or 30D for my mom to take with her on a cruise. I've been watching eBay auctions as of late and a used 30D goes for about $400 on average.

So $500 for that package deal is a fair price.

Products Discussed in

To Top