Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

Bright/Vivid Colors in SLR Photography

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
Bright/Vivid Colors in SLR Photography

Ive previously owned an entry level Canon Rebel XT DSLR and Im in the process of researching DSLRs again because my old one no longer works. I loved my Canon and all it could do but I never seemed to be happy with the color it produced, specially after seeing some of the photography on here. SO my question is, Does The Nikon Line of Cameras provide more colorful/vivid pictures than the canon line (be as objective as humanly possible)? I usually find myself having to increase color saturation on top of my cpol filter to get those nice vivid shots.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:36 AM   #2
kraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kraaazymike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post
Ive previously owned an entry level Canon Rebel XT DSLR and Im in the process of researching DSLRs again because my old one no longer works. I loved my Canon and all it could do but I never seemed to be happy with the color it produced, specially after seeing some of the photography on here. SO my question is, Does The Nikon Line of Cameras provide more colorful/vivid pictures than the canon line (be as objective as humanly possible)? I usually find myself having to increase color saturation on top of my cpol filter to get those nice vivid shots.

In general, between the brands, they reproduce similar color, contrast and saturation. Most of the really good stuff you see is edited in post production. There are menus in DSLR's that enable you to increase sharpness, color sat and contrast. Keep in mind that your glass can really effect your color saturation as well. Making sure you have the right white balance helps too.

There are some that say one brand is better simply because they have it. I'll tell you that Nikon has better flash support and auto focus while Cannon has better video and low light shooting. Most everything else is purely subjective.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:50 AM   #3
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
I have been a Canon user for 30 years, and IMO Nikons have slightly higher color saturation and contrast reproduction in the factory default settings.

With Canon (and probably Nikon too), you can go into the custom menues and adjust the sharpness, contrast, color saturation, etc. to your own liking.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
Swollen Member
Squid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to beholdSquid is a splendid one to behold
Name: Dave
Squid's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not too sure about DSLRs, but on a film SLR a Polarizing Filter will help, when used outside. This is mostly noticed as deeper blue sky, in photos, but it actually improves contrast of the entire photo. They aren't expensive, so you might want to pick one up and lay around with it, to see if it improves your photos.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
I'm not too sure about DSLRs, but on a film SLR a Polarizing Filter will help, when used outside. This is mostly noticed as deeper blue sky, in photos, but it actually improves contrast of the entire photo. They aren't expensive, so you might want to pick one up and lay around with it, to see if it improves your photos.
Actually, if your camera is an autofocus model, polarizing filters can be very pricey.

For auto focus cameras, you should use a circular polarizing filter so the fiklter doesn't confuse, or disable the autofocus system. for an average lens they run about $50.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
Addicted to V8s
Toph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toph's Tacoma Gallery
+1 on post processing...although when I got a 50\1.8 I noticed my pictures had some pretty vivid colors without any adjustments already
Old 04-06-2010, 09:00 PM   #7
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Most of mine are done in PS. I some times set the camera color setting to vivid.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
kraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kraaazymike's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.zarias.com/i-feel-like-im...-the-5d-mk-ii/

Check out this link. It's a pretty good subjective view of one professionals comparison between Canon and Nikon.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:52 PM   #9
The Photo Ninja!
SiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marlon
SiRMarlon's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to SiRMarlon
Having the right color balance is extremely important! And the sharpness of your glass will also help out! Some of the Kit lenses are really great but there is no denying that the high end glass will get you what you are looking for! At least that was the case in my situation!

Get a digital Grey card and learn to use it!

This is the one I use...

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Premiu.../dp/B000HDFH6W

And here is a good article on how to use the cards...

http://www.digitalartsphotography.com/instructions.htm

Hope this helps!
Old 04-15-2010, 12:48 AM   #10
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiRMarlon View Post
Having the right color balance is extremely important! And the sharpness of your glass will also help out! Some of the Kit lenses are really great but there is no denying that the high end glass will get you what you are looking for! At least that was the case in my situation!

Get a digital Grey card and learn to use it!

This is the one I use...

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Premiu.../dp/B000HDFH6W

And here is a good article on how to use the cards...

http://www.digitalartsphotography.com/instructions.htm

Hope this helps!
Wow. Pretty cool. Ive always heard of grey cards but never knew what they were/how to use them.

I ended up going with a Canon like before. I immediately dumped the kit lens too and moved into primes. I have a 30mm/1.4 and 85mm/1.8 right now which are really producing some nice shots. The IQ of the glass definitely seems to have improved the images. One thing: i dont have/dont know how to use photoshop. I need to pick up on this invaluable tool

Products Discussed in this Thread