Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

Flash Photography

Old 03-23-2010, 12:56 AM   #1
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
Flash Photography

Anybody got any tips on how the fuck I use this thing? LOL

Ive been using an DSLR for years for any events I go to, whether it be offroading, family events, or vacations, we all know the pics come out better. I got a new XSI like 10 days ago and Im loving it and decided to buy a flash for it too. I skimped out on a flash on my last SLR but it really held me back from taking decently nice night shots. I bought myself a 430EX II and this shit is hella confusing. Any tips? I usually shoot in shutter or aperture priority depending on whats going on. If I really have time to setup my shots I'll go full manual.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
ocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant future
ocabj's Tacoma Gallery
Don't worry about manual flash right now.

Canon's have E-TTL/E-TTL II to make things easier, so just rely on it for now.

Just start shooting by controlling the flash head position (bouncing and diffusing) and using the FEC.

Here's a good free resource on Canon Flash:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=138907

I'm still playing around with off-camera flash myself after buying some new PocketWizards.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
D
DavidT will become famous soon enough

DavidT's Tacoma Gallery
try bouncing flash off ceilings or walls. try a diffuser also
Old 03-24-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
Don't worry about manual flash right now.

Canon's have E-TTL/E-TTL II to make things easier, so just rely on it for now.

Just start shooting by controlling the flash head position (bouncing and diffusing) and using the FEC.

Here's a good free resource on Canon Flash:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=138907

I'm still playing around with off-camera flash myself after buying some new PocketWizards.

Cool. Thanks for the link. Helped a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidT View Post
try bouncing flash off ceilings or walls. try a diffuser also
Yea I got that concept pretty well, including the fact that I should increase flash power when bouncing since light is spread out in the room rather than focused on a subject. I guess my real concern is manual mode. I don't like the idea of not knowing how my flash works and perhaps missing the opportunity to create some cool effects in manual mode. How fast can I shoot with my flash? I have high shutter speed sync on the flash but I thought max speed with any flash is 1/200-250sec?
Old 03-28-2010, 08:18 AM   #5
kraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kraaazymike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post
Yea I got that concept pretty well, including the fact that I should increase flash power when bouncing since light is spread out in the room rather than focused on a subject. I guess my real concern is manual mode. I don't like the idea of not knowing how my flash works and perhaps missing the opportunity to create some cool effects in manual mode. How fast can I shoot with my flash? I have high shutter speed sync on the flash but I thought max speed with any flash is 1/200-250sec?

If you want to use manual mode, your shutter speed controls ambient light and your aperture controls your overall exposure. If you want your background dark, set your shutter speed to your max sync speed (which I think is 200 on your body). With ETTLII your flash will usually expose your subject correctly. If you want your background lighter, just open the shutter longer. For anything slower than 1/60 and a moving subject, use second curtain sync to get the blurs correctly.

If you want your flash to be in manual, the shutter and aperture are as mentioned. Use but you should fire test shots at your subject and look at your histogram and adjust your flash output or aperture accordingly.

You can shoot as fast as your flash can recharge. On new AA's it's rate at 3 sec recharge at full power. After that it depends on how good your batteries are and what power you're shooting.

And max sync speed is determined by your body, not the flash. A flash duration is ~1/1000 sec. It has to do with the shutter curtains and how they work. Use High Speed Sync for anything above 1/200. Just know that your flash GN will drop as it's producing several smaller flashes as opposed to one single solid flash.

Practice practice practice!
Old 06-06-2010, 12:53 AM   #6
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
SHot my friend using a reflector. (No Homo)