1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Action shots

Discussion in 'Photography' started by AvsFanTRD, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Apr 30, 2010 at 9:09 PM
    AvsFanTRD

AvsFanTRD [OP] Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    rear suspension TSB, sockmonkey bed decals, weathertech floor liners, TRD seat covers, tailgate pop n lock, rear diff breather relocation, center console lock, Viper Alarm, extra D-rings in bed, 5100's on all 4 corners
    I have a point and shoot camera, Sony Cybershot 12.1 megapixel, and was wondering if anyone knew how to take action shots or speed up the shutter for sporting events and things like that. Because right now I get blurry shots when doing that.

for example:
    th_DSC00208_de3cdfd173ec02fcf42f59f9c3a9027456321df4.jpg

Anyone have this camera or know how to not take blurry photos with it? And yes i hold the button down half way to let it focus first.

2. Apr 30, 2010 at 9:21 PM
    AiServo

AiServo Active Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Turn up the ISO, that will increase the shutter speeds in lower light situations.

3. Apr 30, 2010 at 9:29 PM
    AvsFanTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    rear suspension TSB, sockmonkey bed decals, weathertech floor liners, TRD seat covers, tailgate pop n lock, rear diff breather relocation, center console lock, Viper Alarm, extra D-rings in bed, 5100's on all 4 corners
    I've tried that and it made it look odd. Almost like it was more of a painting than a photo
    th_DSC00251_22cfcc7e4cbebd2e8744b53796428d7d3d9f362c.jpg

The ISO goes up to 3200

4. Apr 30, 2010 at 9:42 PM
    AiServo

AiServo Active Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Unfortunately Point and shoots are not the best tool for the job when it comes to stopping action in low light. I'm guessing you cant use the flash?

5. Apr 30, 2010 at 9:42 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    You should have a sports setting, identified by a running person, have you tried it?

6. Apr 30, 2010 at 10:14 PM
    AvsFanTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    This was taken with a point and shoot camera?

unfortunately no flash

there is no sports setting, has everything but. :mad:

I am now regretting this camera purchase. Anyone want to buy a camera?

7. Apr 30, 2010 at 10:29 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:

That's a killer in situations like this. Indoor lighting, especially gymnasium-type lights, are awful for camera work. Without being able to get more light or effectively change ISO settings I don't think that camera will work well in this environment.

8. Apr 30, 2010 at 10:32 PM
    AvsFanTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    damn, that sucks. So what is a good ISO for that setting or use auto ISO?

9. Apr 30, 2010 at 10:34 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    canons have the fastest shutter speed. unfortunately you cant really escape it with out a DSLR

10. Apr 30, 2010 at 10:37 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

Member:
    At least ISO 400 (although more likely 800+ in that particular building) but the trade-off, as you mentioned above, is the higher your ISO setting the grainier the resulting picture will be. For a digital camera, basically you're compensating for less than ideal lighting by forcing the sensor to be more sensitive to light (and/or increasing shutter speed depending on the camera model). The cost for this is grainy pictures... this is where a flash comes in handy but you don't have that option.

11. Apr 30, 2010 at 10:42 PM
    AvsFanTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    Ok, thanks for the help. I'll give this a go tomorrow and see how it turns out.

12. May 1, 2010 at 7:02 AM
    EMR

EMR Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tx Pro
    I just read your cameras manual. There's a mode for food, fireworks and beach but nothing for sports? Get a new camera.

13. May 1, 2010 at 7:31 AM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

Member:

The fireworks mode might help although I bet the color balance is WAY off and it will be grainy. It should at least force the camera into its fastest shutter/highest ISO setup.

14. May 1, 2010 at 7:59 AM
    EMR

EMR Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tx Pro
    I thought about that, but wouldn't that suck to have every action shot picture come out in the wrong colors? How annoying.

Let's have a bit of fun and play with real numbers here. So we know he wants to freeze motion here. His EXIF info says the first shot was taken at ISO 400, f 4.5, 1/10. Let's try to get at least 1/150 to try to stop motion. If you move the shutter 4 stops, he'll be around 1/160 or so. Adjust the ISO so you still get a good exposure and you'll end up at ISO 6400. Which is insanely high. Closing the aperture to f/16 or so would be a better option buuuuut he can't do that. Soooo, time to get a new camera! :D

Now, I'm not recommending him to get a SLR. I'm just saying he should get something with a sports mode.

*edit: after looking at the shutter speed and taking another look at the image, the biggest problem this image has is hand shake. The weightlifter would of probably been decent. Get a new camera or a tripod. Either way, my double vision will thank you. The second one has no hand shake but needs to quicken the shutter speed.

15. May 2, 2010 at 9:55 AM
    ocabj

ocabj Well-Known Member

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Pyrite Mica Tacoma Standard Cab
    In order to stop motion, you'll want 1/500 sec at the bare minimum to be safe.

So dial your camera to the shutter priority mode, hard set it to 1/500, and see if the camera can attain it. In shutter priority mode, the camera will automatically adjust all the other settings (aperture and ISO) in order to get the shutter speed you set. If that shutter speed is simply unattainable due to the ambient lighting conditions, it will indicate so. In which case you can try and dial it down to 1/250 and see if the camera can get it.

16. May 2, 2010 at 5:11 PM
    AvsFanTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    ^^ I don't know what any of that means nor do I think that's even an option with my camera.

As for the hand shaking, there is suppose to be a steady hand option in the camera that stops that but apparently that option doesn't work either.

I tried playing with the ISO at different settings and still couldn't get a decent shot. I believe I will just have to get rid of this camera and get a new one. Any recommendations for a camera that can fit in my pocket and still take decent shots (i.e. action shots)?

17. May 2, 2010 at 5:28 PM
    ocabj

ocabj Well-Known Member

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Pyrite Mica Tacoma Standard Cab
    You might want to learn three key points of making an exposure before you shop for a new camera:

1. Aperture
    2. Shutter Speed
    3. ISO

All three impact the exposure.

If you go to a store and ask the salesperson for a camera that can shoot action shots, you can easily be sold a dSLR, but then you won't get any good photos still, if you're using automatic modes.

That said, if you want a good point and shoot with a fast lens, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 is perfect. It's basically a clone of the Leica DLux 4, and has a Leica f/2.0 max aperture lens across the entire focal range. But again, even if you have a lens a fast aperture, and you leave it on auto or don't properly expose for fast shutter speeds, you're still not going to get good photos.

With regards to the 'steady hand' option, more often than not, it's not actual mechanical image stabilization. What many P&S cameras have for IS is a 'software IS' which basically sets the ISO really high in order to achieve faster shutter speeds. Fast shutter speeds help blur due to camera shake. But note that image stabilization only minimizes blur due to camera shake, not the blur caused by fast moving action.

18. May 2, 2010 at 7:35 PM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.
    Ok, wasn't sure what model you had so went to Sony and looked at Point and Shoot 12.1 megapixels model DSC-W310. Found the one that didn't have sports mode. Using the burst mode allows you to capture action pictures to some degree. I used this on my older Kodak. Basically you focus in advance and hold down the shutter button. This will allow you to take multiple pictures. While some may be blurred you will end up with some very usable pictures and can delete the rest after downloading to your computer.
    good luck. Ken

(Burst) Records up to 100 images in succession when you press and hold
    down the shutter button.
    • Burst shooting is not available in Movie Mode, Smile Shutter or Easy
    Mode.
    • The flash is set to [Off].
    • When recording with the self timer, a series of a maximum of five
    images is recorded.
    • The recording interval becomes longer, depending on the setting for the
    image size.
    • When the battery level is low, or when the internal memory or the
    memory card is full, the Burst stops.
    • The focus, white balance, and exposure are adjusted for the first image,
    and these settings are also used for the other images.

19. May 2, 2010 at 7:55 PM
    AvsFanTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    I guess it could have been helpful to include the model number.

I will have to look into the panasonic camera.

Thanks for all your help guys!

20. May 2, 2010 at 8:35 PM
    AvsFanTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    ^^I'm assuming not a point and shoot camera?

Products Discussed in

To Top