Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

nikon D40 or D3000?

Old 06-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
nikon D40 or D3000?

edit: I ended up getting the d3000 from best buy last night

Im wanting an entry level dslr and ive narrowed down my choices between the d40 and d3000.

the price diference is the d40 at $400 at best buy and the d3000 for $450 on amazon.

anyone know the difference in these two cameras?

I know the d40 doesnt have an internal focus drive motor, meaning it will only auto focus on AF-S or AF-I lenses. I dont know how important that is?

The d3000 doesnt have live view. I dont know what that means or if its even important to hae or not? and it has No in-body stabilization.

So out of these two, or a similar priced cannon, what would you choose and why?
Old 06-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
llcreel46 is on a distinguished road
Navy:
llcreel46's Tacoma Gallery
camera

Try this site.http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm

I have a D-60 and love it as an entry level dslr. The d-40 is almost the same. If you get into internal focusing just get ready to spend bucks.
I know this is vague but hope it helps.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Panda jerk helped me alot and I think Im gonna end up getting the D3000. wal mart has it listed at 450, im gonna see if I can talk best buy into matching that and buy from them
Old 06-07-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
bishes love my haircut
Gr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Gr8WhiteTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Gr8WhiteTaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
Panda jerk helped me alot and I think Im gonna end up getting the D3000. wal mart has it listed at 450, im gonna see if I can talk best buy into matching that and buy from them
I'm thinkin about getting that one also. Jake told me the D5000 is a good one to look at also.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:39 PM   #5

yea, that one is about $200 more than the 3000. I dont plan on shooting any HD video but the flip screen would be handy. I have that on my current cannon and its pretty handy.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
bishes love my haircut
Gr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah I want the 3000 just because its cheap and I could possibly get it cheaper since my GF works at walmart. but I want the Hd vid and the live view
Old 06-07-2010, 12:42 PM   #7
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
My wife and I are not experienced photogs but our D40 is many steps up from the point and shoots we used to use.
Never wish for anything that isn't already on the d40. Got a smokin deal with two VR lenses and love it.
I like Nikon as a brand...had a cs issue with Canon and told them I wouldn't support them again.
My professional film friends like Canon.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #8

the d40 at best buy is only 400 right now
Old 06-07-2010, 01:37 PM   #9
bishes love my haircut

for real??? checking on it right now
Old 06-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #10

yea, its online only though, no in store pick up.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #11
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
If you can save up for a d5000...I have a d3000 to but in low light it sucks. The d5000 has the same sensor as the d90
Old 06-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #12
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
D3000 ftmfw!
Old 06-07-2010, 01:42 PM   #13
bishes love my haircut

Quote:
yea, its online only though, no in store pick up.
ohhhh thats why i aint seen that deal. i think i'd still wait for the 3000 or 5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conekiller View Post
If you can save up for a d5000...I have a d3000 to but in low light it sucks. The d5000 has the same sensor as the d90
thats one of the points i wanna save up for the 5000
Old 06-07-2010, 01:47 PM   #14
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Kevin, if you're open to other brands, I would give the the Rebel XS and XSi a good look too. I bought an XS for my father a while back and it ended up being to much camera for him, so I've since acquired it from him. It's been more then enough camera for anything I do, and takes great photos. The menu takes a little bit of getting used to, but once you've got it down, it is just like any other DSLR. I have three lenses for it at the moment.

Here is a link to there website. I would elaborate a little more, but have some work to finish at the moment. http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=17316

Most importantly, get both of the cameras and take some shots. I found it is kind of like choosing a pistol or rifle to shoot. If it doesn’t feel comfortable in your hands, you're not going to shoot it worth a shit. Both Nikon and Canon make exceptional cameras, and there isn’t any argument to be made there.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #15
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
Heres a picture with the D3000

Another

And this is with a D5000

Old 06-07-2010, 02:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
D3000 ftmfw!
im going to best buy after work to test one out. $449 at wal mart, I got a print out and see if they will match it
Old 06-07-2010, 02:10 PM   #17
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I'm thinking about getting myself a D3000. There is a kit at Best Buy for like $600ish and they are doing 24 months no interest of the Best Buy card.

Cannon is also good but I see most people talking about Nikon. A guy at work lost his virginity so Cannon to it's Cannon or nothing for that guy and he gets mad every time I mention Nikon.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:10 PM   #18
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
im going to best buy after work to test one out. $449 at wal mart, I got a print out and see if they will match it
I shoot with a D3000. Works for my needs! I'll upgrade eventually, but for now I'm a happy camper with it.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I'm thinking about getting myself a D3000. There is a kit at Best Buy for like $600ish and they are doing 24 months no interest of the Best Buy card.

Cannon is also good but I see mot people talking about Nikon. A guy at work lost his virginity so Cannon to it's Cannon or nothing for that guy and he gets mad every time I mention Nikon.
Ive already got the BB card so its lile 18 Mo no intrest. Ill prob put down half and pay on the rest, if I end up getting it tonight.

Im sure I will though
Old 06-07-2010, 08:11 PM   #20

Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
Post some d3000 pictures!!!