LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

Depth of Field

Old 06-15-2010, 05:57 AM   #1
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
Depth of Field

I want to take a picture like this. I have the D5000 with 15-55 lens.

If i set my Apeture as low as it will go and focus on the first or second footprint, you think it will have this same effect?
Old 06-15-2010, 06:25 AM   #2
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
you will need a lower aperature. like a 1.8 or so. I just got done asking the same thing

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...kkor_50mm.html
Old 06-15-2010, 07:27 AM   #3
kraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kraaazymike's Tacoma Gallery
Exif info says this shot was taken with f/4. If your lens stops down to there, then yes!

Keason: 1.8 is incredibly shallow. The person will most likely just be a solid blur.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:37 AM   #4
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraaazymike View Post
Exif info says this shot was taken with f/4. If your lens stops down to there, then yes!

Keason: 1.8 is incredibly shallow. The person will most likely just be a solid blur.
well shit...

I shot some stuff last weekend at like 3.5 and it didnt turn out like that..

Edit: well maybe it did...idk

Old 06-15-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
Professional Amateur
JDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
JDMcompliant's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, the distance from the focal point to the lens is quite large, and the amount of blur in the picture is really not that much. you could take this shot with a kit lens quite easily.

i used to have a 1.4, and it was insane. if you took this same shot at 1.4, you probably wouldn't be able to see past the 3rd print
Old 06-15-2010, 07:47 AM   #6

im a newb
Old 06-15-2010, 07:48 AM   #7
ocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant future
ocabj's Tacoma Gallery
This is a good lesson on depth of field and how it's controlled by aperture, focal length, and distance to subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUYuUs1aaCU
Old 06-15-2010, 07:52 AM   #8

Ive watched it once before, I think I need to watch it a few more times
Old 06-15-2010, 07:53 AM   #9
kraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
well shit...

I shot some stuff last weekend at like 3.5 and it didnt turn out like that..

Edit: well maybe it did...idk
I think the DOF is actually comparable to the first post. I gotta agree with JDM. The original doesn't have all that much blur to the person. It looks like you've got around the same amount somewhere between that tree and fence in the background.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:09 AM   #10
ocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant future
ocabj's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a sample shot with a 200mm prime on a Canon 7D (APS-C sensor) at f/2.8:

Basically a bunch of people side by side along a railing at the zoo. I believe my distance to the subject in focus in the above frame was approximately 10 yards.

Based on a depth of field calculator (try: http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html) with the above information, it says I have .72 ft of depth that will be in focus, which isn't very much at all.

Here's another sample, shot with a Canon XTi (APS-C sensor) at 159mm lens focal length a f/8:

Note how even with f/8, I get some nice soft bokeh / background separation. But that's because the background objects are a bit far away from the subject that's in focus.

If I were going to shoot something like the photo posted in the OP, where you have a constant subject (the ground) and want it to go out of focus dramatically, then it's a question of experimenting with the aperture on the lens. You definitely want to shoot at a longer effective focal length, like 85mm and up, and use f/4 as a starting point.

Note that APS-C sensors don't have the same depth of field as the full frame sensors. If you took the same lens, like a 70-200 f/4 and put it on a Canon 7D and a Canon 5D, and shot at the same effective focal lengths, the depth of field will be different (shallower on the full frame). That's not to say you can't get very shallow DoF with crop, because you can. But it's something you should also be aware of.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:11 AM   #11

yea I think your right, the vignette was throwing me off on the first picture.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:29 PM   #12
korslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
korslite's Tacoma Gallery
Along with ocabj's post, which was very well stated, i believe the compression (background looks closer to subject) you get from a telephoto focal length such as 159mm like the second shot dramatizes the bokeh nicely because the background is magnified. This makes the "bluriness" more noticeable. I'm certainly no expert by any means. Nice shots by the way!
Old 07-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #13
Ace83 will become famous soon enoughAce83 will become famous soon enough
Ace83's Tacoma Gallery
here my canon 70-200mm @175 focal length

Old 07-07-2010, 11:31 PM   #14
The Photo Ninja!
SiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marlon
SiRMarlon's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to SiRMarlon
It's all about focal length and aperture...if you want to learn just go out and shoot, you can watch material and read books all you want! Grab your camera and get out and shoot! It's really the only way to learn this stuff guys...
Old 07-08-2010, 12:26 AM   #15
Ace83's Tacoma Gallery
^^ agreed, or you can do both.. but i would do the actual stuff more.. then later on you will discover what you were doing after doing some readings
Old 07-08-2010, 09:24 AM   #16
ocabj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiRMarlon View Post
It's all about focal length and aperture...if you want to learn just go out and shoot, you can watch material and read books all you want! Grab your camera and get out and shoot! It's really the only way to learn this stuff guys...
I agree people should go out and shoot, but it's important to have an understanding of the concepts before pressing the shutter button. I have some friends with entry level dSLRs that use their cameras a lot, but still don't understand what the f-stop value means and how it affects their photos.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
I agree people should go out and shoot, but it's important to have an understanding of the concepts before pressing the shutter button. I have some friends with entry level dSLRs that use their cameras a lot, but still don't understand what the f-stop value means and how it affects their photos.
I agree 100%. But I personally tend to think you teach Photography 401 level stuff to 100 level students. Tell them the jist of things then get them to practice.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #18
The Photo Ninja!
SiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marlon
SiRMarlon's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to SiRMarlon
All 3 of you guys are right...
Old 07-10-2010, 11:34 PM   #19
Ace83's Tacoma Gallery
Old 07-13-2010, 11:35 AM   #20
korslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
korslite's Tacoma Gallery
Under exposed a bit perhaps but shows the narrow depth of field...