1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New DSLR, now what?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by 06rubi, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Dec 10, 2011 at 12:14 AM
    06rubi

06rubi [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenney
    Pueblo West, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM (wife's truck)
    Debadged, tinted windows, 7 pin relocated, bed lights, 12 volt socket in bed of truck, on board air, auxiliary fuse box, grill craft, hella 500's, t-rex eyelids, pink budbuilt skids, icon remote resi coil over, camburg uca, alcan rear springs, ubolt flip, icon 2.5 remote rear resi shocks
    I got my wife a Canon t3i for Christmas. I wondering what other things she may need to start off with. Stuff like software (for a Mac) and hardware she could use to get more enjoyment from the DSLR. I don't want her to get overwhelmed with it and just use it as a point and shoot. I'm thinking a photography class or two would be the most beneficial but until she can get into one is there any good books or websites yall would suggest for a beginner? The t3i seems to have some software to help teach the functions of the camera built into it but I'm thinkin is just a rough overview.

2. Dec 10, 2011 at 7:36 AM
    FearNothing321

FearNothing321 You gonna eat that taco?

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Audi S3
    Photoshop Elements is pretty easy to use, if you get that for her, have her download the free Camera RAW editor from Adobe so she can edit RAW camera files.

forums like Dgrin, the Photo Forum are pretty good

3. Dec 10, 2011 at 7:41 AM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    If she is just beginning, I wouldn't overwhelm her with too many accesories or add-ons. Software should be included; maybe a camera bag/case, lens protector and filters. Big enough and fast enough memory card and maybe an extra battery (however the battery life I have experienced with my T2i has been very good).

4. Dec 10, 2011 at 7:46 AM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    Excellent camera! I agree w/ Photoshop Elements, a bag (Tamrac), a circular pol and a UV filter (just to protect the standard glass). Classes would help greatly. Otherwise, nice gift!!

5. Dec 10, 2011 at 9:04 AM
    mcleod90

mcleod90 150,000 miles and counting

Member:
    First Name:
    sean
    modesto ca
    Vehicle:
    05 double cab
    What a great christmas she is going to have, thats a great gift. Maybe a nice tripod and a bag. It's always nice to have an extra battery as well.

Another good website to check out is froknowsphoto.com

Some people don't like him but I think he does a good job explaining things. And there's also a forum on there.

6. Dec 19, 2011 at 10:11 AM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    Good xmas gift and comments thus far. If you get her elements I'd suggest one of Scott Kelby's books to compliment the program. Also if she doesn't know much about photography and workings of a camera get her a book about photography instruction or an actual class at a local junior college.

Products Discussed in

To Top