Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Prayers & Support

Notices

C-17 Plane Crash Elmendorf AFB Alaska

Old 07-28-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Ben
08WhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
C-17 Plane Crash Elmendorf AFB Alaska

We just had a C-17 go down here on the base. Don't have much information right now. Just asking for prayers for the people on board and their families. I did hear that there were probably 4 people on board at the time. I saw a huge fire and smoke plume but since the air show is this weekend I just thought it had something to do with that. But then there were tons of rescue vehicles all over base and then a buddy at work told me it was a C-17. It looked like the plane went down about a mile from where I work.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Old 07-28-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Hoping for a good outcome...keep us posted.

I used to live in Kenai - always saw your guys dropping in for touch & go's everyday. I miss seeing the Herc's on approach from the beach...nothing cooler than a machine that huge buzzing right over your head!
Old 07-28-2010, 09:38 PM   #7
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Used to fly in and out of Elmendorf when I was in Kodiak. Sad to hear, my thought are with the Aircrew and their families.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:47 PM   #8
08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
No other news has come out about the crash. They did confirm that there were 4 crew members on board the plane. No news about the status of the crew has been released though. After seeing the fire ball and the smoke plume I don't know how someone could have survived the crash.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:06 AM   #9
Dedicated Crew Chief
AKTacoma has a spectacular aura aboutAKTacoma has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chris
AKTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
It's hard to believe that Elmendorf has suffered another devastation like this after the Yukla went down years ago.. I'm praying had for everyone involved. I put something about this up in the military section.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/mil...ed-c-17-a.html
Old 07-29-2010, 12:16 AM   #10
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTacoma View Post
It's hard to believe that Elmendorf has suffered another devastation like this after the Yukla went down years ago.. I'm praying had for everyone involved. I put something about this up in the military section.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/mil...ed-c-17-a.html

What may be even harder to believe is that this plane went down very close to the Yukla site. If I had to guess I would say it couldn't be more than a mile away from that site. After hearing that it was a C-17 my heart just dropped. I couldn't believe it.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:28 AM   #11
Dedicated Crew Chief

I couldn't believe it either, this is what all of us in aircraft maintenance dread the most. It's certainly gut wrenching to even think about what everyone dealing with this crash is going through.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #12
Air Force:
They confirmed four dead in the crash this morning. No names have been released. Three members were Air National Guard and one was Active Duty.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:43 PM   #13
too many clowns, not enough circuses.
daftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: François Dillinger
daftcon's Tacoma Gallery
i was flying last night when this happened. it puts alot of things into perspective. we get so caught up in flight safety and everything you're supposed to do and not do, and you never think it could ever happen to you. when the reality is that it could be anyone. very sad stuff and defintitely thinking of these guys and their families.

the first thing i thought of was that awacs crew that crashed years back. took some birds in the engines and went down. anxious to see what the investigation board finds out. would not be surprised if it was the same.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:06 PM   #15
akyota has much to be proud ofakyota has much to be proud ofakyota has much to be proud ofakyota has much to be proud ofakyota has much to be proud ofakyota has much to be proud ofakyota has much to be proud ofakyota has much to be proud of

Name: Ryan
akyota's Tacoma Gallery
Sad day! Wish the families my sincere condolences..
Old 07-29-2010, 09:43 PM   #16
Hermit is on a distinguished road
Hermit's Tacoma Gallery
... condolences to family and friends... my silent respect and spiritual salute...
Old 07-29-2010, 11:40 PM   #17
Dedicated Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by daftcon View Post
i was flying last night when this happened. it puts alot of things into perspective. we get so caught up in flight safety and everything you're supposed to do and not do, and you never think it could ever happen to you. when the reality is that it could be anyone. very sad stuff and defintitely thinking of these guys and their families.

the first thing i thought of was that awacs crew that crashed years back. took some birds in the engines and went down. anxious to see what the investigation board finds out. would not be surprised if it was the same.
Definitely know what you mean, its the day to day stuff that we all end up overlooking now and then.
That was the Yukla that went down by a flock of birds, I don't believe that was the case with this accident, but we won't know the exact cause for some time now.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:43 PM   #18
YeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Honor Guard-Now out of Honor Guard getting ready for MK "A" School
Name: Thomas
YeahYeah's Tacoma Gallery
praying for all those involved with. may they rest in peace
Old 07-30-2010, 04:31 AM   #19
SMSgt / 2W091
El Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: IYAAYAS
Name: Beelzebub
El Diablo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhiteTRD View Post
We just had a C-17 go down here on the base. Don't have much information right now. Just asking for prayers for the people on board and their families. I did hear that there were probably 4 people on board at the time. I saw a huge fire and smoke plume but since the air show is this weekend I just thought it had something to do with that. But then there were tons of rescue vehicles all over base and then a buddy at work told me it was a C-17. It looked like the plane went down about a mile from where I work.
I thought about you and AMMOGuy when I heard the news. My thoughts go out to the families and all at Elmendorf.
Is there any word if the Airshow has been cancelled?
Old 07-30-2010, 04:56 AM   #20
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
So sad to hear this news...I spent 2 years as an Avionics Engineer in the C-17 Systems Group, kind of hits home when I had a direct impact on the aircraft...great plane and outstanding crew members I dealt with, my condolences to the families...