1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

For my son

Discussion in 'Personal & Emotional Support' started by cntstan, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Nov 16, 2010 at 1:18 PM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
  2. Nov 16, 2010 at 10:28 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    I was going to strongly recommend getting him tested for diabetes once I read the drinking excessive fluids.

If you need any support let me know. It's rough at first but gets better. Hopefully he wasn't too bad, what was his blood glucose when you took him to the hospital? Take in all the information doctors and nurses give you. I don't know about your health insurance but strongly consider a insulin pump!

My thoughts are with you!

3. Nov 16, 2010 at 10:36 PM
    detnight

detnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas City ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    Texas Edtion Sport Super White
    Bed cover, Borla exhaust,20in wheels The TEXAS edition
    Through God and Prayers all things are possible.
    Prayers have been sent ,GOD's will be done

4. Nov 16, 2010 at 10:38 PM
    jlvhrse

jlvhrse Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jen
    SoCal SGV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport 4X4 Long Bed
    LSK front and rear LT and stuff
  5. Nov 16, 2010 at 10:39 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    :pray: keep spending time with him and letting him know you love him

6. Nov 16, 2010 at 10:43 PM
    707tothe907

707tothe907 Superior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Chico NorCal
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Off Road
    Prayers for you. Truly. I can only imagine what you are going through. Every parents just wants their kid to fit in and be normal. Just enjoy all the special things about him. Best of luck to both of you. With today's advances in sciences I'm sure he'll get the help he needs soon. Praying for you.

7. Nov 16, 2010 at 10:44 PM
    707tothe907

707tothe907 Superior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Chico NorCal
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Off Road
    This.

There's nothing more important then this in your situation. I had an autistic uncle.

8. Nov 16, 2010 at 11:28 PM
    numbah57

numbah57 GIVE THE MALL A BREAK...WHEEL THAT SHIT

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 2.7 Beaten not Babied
    URD ARB G2 PELFREY BAMF LCE AFE
    Prayers sent, god bless.

9. Nov 17, 2010 at 8:41 PM
    cntstan

cntstan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Wisconsin now, North Carolina will always be HOME
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SR5 4X4 ; 94 Ford Bronco
    3" Toytec coilovers, rear AAL,satoshi'd grill,ARE topper,TRD exhaust, All Pro winch bumper, Warn winch, All Pro skid, Pro comp 7089's, Supersprings, Wet Okole seat covers
    Thanks for the advice. We were sent down to Milwaukee to Children's Hospital immediately after he had blood tests last night. Needless to say we were scared to death. His blood sugar level was over 450, I think normal is between 80 and 110. We went through a bunch of teaching this morning and he had more tests done. Today was his first day of having blood sugar checks and insulin shots at every meal. He hates it and keeps asking how long it will be until he doesn't have to do these shots anymore. It's hard to make yourself tell him that this will be something that he has to do forever now. I did ask the doctor about that insulin pump and she told me that we had to get his sugar levels stabilized first but that it might be an option later. That would be great if he could use something like that!! Anyways, just wanted to update and say thanks again to everyone, your thoughts and prayers are very much appreciated!

10. Nov 17, 2010 at 8:48 PM
    01GREENTACO

01GREENTACO Not all who wander are lost

Member:
    Germantown, TN
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD
    Lost track many, many mods ago.
    Sounds like you two have an incredible bond. Keeping you, your son, and your family in my prayers.

11. Nov 17, 2010 at 8:55 PM
    SD2011Taco

SD2011Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5V6 4x4 Grey TRD Offroad Overland Setup
    3" Lift, Lights, CB, Yellow-Top, CBI Bed Rack, Tepui RTT, Shovel/Axe Mount, Maxtrax, ARB OBA, 33" KO2, Sliders
    My thoughts go out to you and your son. It is important to remember that medical advances are happening all the time.

12. Nov 17, 2010 at 9:09 PM
    TRICOMA

TRICOMA Tacoma with the TRI package

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
  13. Nov 17, 2010 at 9:20 PM
    671born

671born Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab 5-Lug
    Audio, Blacked out Badges
    My thoughts and prayers to you, your son and your wife. God's intent is not without reason, sometimes we cannot or do not want to comprehend. But he is with us, always.

14. Nov 18, 2010 at 4:08 AM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chuck, that's great news that he can possibly get the pump. I wasn't sure if there were any age limits or not. Continued thoughts and prayers and call me anytime brother.

15. Nov 18, 2010 at 5:25 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    What were his A1C's when he was diagnosed? I'm going to take a guess and say they were most likely in the 8.5-9.5 range and 10 on the higher end is he's been having symptoms for a while. That is what the Endo Dr is going to most concerned with when you go in for his check ups. The will download the data from the meter at your next visit and take a blood draw to see what his A1C's are. They will go over it with you and try to determine what might need to be adjusted to bring the A1C's down and any spikes you might get.

Just FYI, Depending on the type of carb he's going to eat it is really important that you give his bolus shot as close to the 15-20 minutes prior to eating the food. Syrup, jelly, jam and the like are very fast acting on the BS and will affect the A1C's over time. What bolus insulin are the putting you on? Lilly make a very nice insulin pen and they usually have coupons online for free pens in case you break one.

There is no minimum age requirement to get a pump. They are great and make giving insulin very easy. The only downside from shots to the pump is the fine tuning of the basal insulin dosing. Once he goes on the pump though he will not need to take his basal insulin (Lantis or Levemir). What is needed for it though is a good baseline. If and when he goes onto a pump I do not recommend the CGM's they offer (constant glucose monitors). They usually have a 20 minute lag on the BS because they don't measure BS directly but the... can't recall the name but it resides in the sub cutaneous tissue. Stick with the blood meter for taking the measurements while on the pump.

Fell free to hit me up (pm me if you want to exchange phone numbers) if you have any questions regarding it. Not a Dr or salesman but I do have experience dealing with diabetics.

No age limits for the pump that I'm aware of.

16. Nov 18, 2010 at 6:02 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    We'll be praying for you all Chuck. :pray: If you need anything at all please let me know!

17. Nov 18, 2010 at 6:10 PM
    JM76

JM76 Ride On

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC SR 4x4
    bone stock save for the block lift that came on it with the open country m/t.
    Hang in there man, we're here for you. :)

18. Nov 18, 2010 at 6:15 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    :pray:
    Prayer Sent!
    I'm a daddy too & I feel for you.

19. Nov 18, 2010 at 9:11 PM
    cntstan

cntstan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Wisconsin now, North Carolina will always be HOME
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SR5 4X4 ; 94 Ford Bronco
    3" Toytec coilovers, rear AAL,satoshi'd grill,ARE topper,TRD exhaust, All Pro winch bumper, Warn winch, All Pro skid, Pro comp 7089's, Supersprings, Wet Okole seat covers
    Man, you obviously have a lot of experience with this! His A1C level was 16 tuesday afternoon. The weird thing is that he didn't show any real symptoms (classic diabetic symptoms) until the last few weeks. He's always been really skinny so I guess it was just hard to notice the weight loss...I don't know, I still feel like crap about not noticing that. The doctor said that he will go through what they call a "honeymoon phase", and that the beta cells that are still alive will begin to make insulin again but that it will only last for a while. She said that when those cells die off that they will be gone forever and that it is just a temporary "easy" time. From what I understand, we have to wait for that to pass before we begin to think about the pump option. He is on a sliding scale for his insulin right now so the dose is dependent on his BS level. So are you saying that even if he is able to use the pump for his Lantis dose that he will still have to have the Novalog shots before every meal? Or does the pump supply all of his insulin needs throughout the day? I may PM you with questions because you obviously know much more than me or my wife about this. Thanks for the insight and your time in responding!

20. Nov 18, 2010 at 9:14 PM
    SteelRain

SteelRain Veteran Redleg

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    San Tan Valley, Arizona
    Chuck, I am a true believer that prayer changes things. My heart goes out to you and your boy as you go through this period of time. Know that God is with you.

To Top