Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Prayers & Support

Notices

Scared to pray.....

Old 09-19-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
Scared to pray.....

I am not a religious person...

I rarely pray, it seems that I only pray when I need something "good" to happen. But when I DO, I also include what I am thankful for.

Is there a right way, and wrong way to pray?
Old 09-19-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
sup
Old 09-19-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
^^^ wud up homie
Old 09-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
im not religious anymore either. thus, i dont feel the need to pray, but deff to sit back and think about how good i got it and try to be humble with it.

BTW, hows McCall treating ya? i went through there last month and took as long to get from CDA to McCall as it did to get from McCall to Boise. damn construction and tourists! very pretty there tho!
I hear ya man!...... It's just when someone is down and out, ill, hurt or something like that, people are always asking to "pray"..... I want to help out in anyway that I can to make the issue at hand better, but am I just praying to make myself feel better? Make "them" feel better..... ? Do people just need something to turn to? I better shut up now...... Im confusing myself more....

LOVING living in McCall, its paradise! Looking foward to the snow now! Stop by the bakery next time you roll thru
Old 09-19-2011, 08:41 AM   #5
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery

I'm not religious, but I can tell you that people are going to say whatever you feel in your heart, if you mean it when you pray then that's what matters.

But as an atheist, I'd see it as being a little greedy praying just when you want stuff. If I was religious I'd be calling the Big G up on the 411 Prayer line and thanking him for just having a good day.
Attached Thumbnails
Scared to pray.....-bacon.jpg  
Old 09-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #6
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neontrail View Post
I am not a religious person...

I rarely pray, it seems that I only pray when I need something "good" to happen. But when I DO, I also include what I am thankful for.

Is there a right way, and wrong way to pray?
Not sure what your issues may be... but if I was your God; praying only when you need something would get you call blocked. A God of convenience is no God at all.

Frank
Old 09-19-2011, 08:48 AM   #7
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neontrail View Post
^^^ wud up homie
nm going to get oil changed in a bit itís over by like 300. been busy. may try and go see this girl later too
Old 09-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #8
Bring Yuengling To MN!
angrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

angrysam's Tacoma Gallery
I used to be an occasional prayer like you. I didn't find much use in it and when I did pray I didn't really know how or what to do. Eventually I figured out my own way, got comfortable doing it and now I pray every night.

I don't think there's a right or wrong way. I kneel as I feel it's respectful but you do what feels right to you.

Don't get all wrapped up in saying special prayers unless you want to or the "Thou shalt" fancy talk. Just talk like you would with any other conversation.

Just do what you've been doing. Thank Him for what you have and ask for help.

Try to thank Him everyday if you think of it. Even if it's just one thing.

I personally feel He doesn't care how often you pray or thank Him but appreciates it every time and hopes you will everyday.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #9
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
I'm with Krazie, as an Atheist, that seems to be the "wrong" way to pray.

Although, if you compare yourself to somebody like me who never prays, maybe you're better off in whatever belief system you have?

Fink
Old 09-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #10
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
good responses, thank you
Old 09-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #11
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think of it as praying. I just set back and speak to God. At random times. It may sound silly but during commercials I'll take time to just cut loose and ramble. Not really asking for anything just asking to help me do right and be the best I can be. Just because I wantsomething doesn't mean its right or what I actually need.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #12
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
I don't believe praying even does anything. I think it's all made up poo poo. I'm sure the people who died on 9/11 prayed like a mother fukr to be saved. Well you see how that turned out.I don't knock anyone who believes in god but if I prayed to a garbage can you would think I'm crazy,so why does praying to the sky seem normal? I'm really really anti church.
Back to the OP question.I assume right way to pray is for someone's safety/health in an unselfess way.Wrong way is to pray you want to bang some chick. we are all guilty of that
Old 09-19-2011, 10:20 AM   #13
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by farbio615 View Post
I never pray. Even in Afghanistan when under fire I didnt resort to god. I ended up thinking of my passed away mother and asked her to help keep me alive. I guess you can considered that praying but I associate prayer to the term "God"
However, yesterday I finally said please god dont let this happen. What happened? Well I was really drunk and banged a big girl like 2 weeks ago (just got back from the fight, so looks arnt important within the first month) anyway she said she might be prego, I prayed to god lol and she took her test and wasnt. Oh well I guess, life goes on.
Your mom is a great person to pray to, She at least is real and is looking out for you God on the other hand,no so much.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:27 AM   #14
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
that's a common thought among believers of any faith and atheist alike i would think. i pray all the time because i do believe there is a God. probably everyday however i can find a reason to thank him way before i feel i deserve anything from him cause i certainly don't. just today i walked outside and said a silent prayer thanking him for the beautiful day. yeah i know there are plenty here that will berate me for saying that, but everyone "sins" whether you believe in a god or not and its natural for anyone of any faith/nonfaith to feel guilty asking for help from a higher power when they also feel they don't deserve it, cause well, we don't.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:14 AM   #15
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, I missed this. Great thread Geoff!!! I just can't believe it took this long for someone to bring up these points in this sub-forum.

Great to see you around. I hope all is well with you and the fam!!! I 'bout tore the screen apart when I seen krazies bacon picture. I'll never forget the epic bacon explosion event you created around here.

I would have a few questions to ask you to answer the best way. I don't know what you mean when you say you aren't religious. And when you pray, who/what are you praying to? I guess I would need to know more of what is in your mind and heart to really give you a quality answer. You know I'm available beyond public threads if you ever want to talk, text, or pm in private, or more of a one on one environment........

Well brother, one thing for sure, we already have some of the best people with different views already genuinly discussing a very important topic, especially in regards to this sub-forum.

The Bible is my best prayer instruction manual. But I can tell you in a few brief statements my thoughts on my prayer life which I take very seriously.

It's all about my relationship with God.<<<<read again!! There is a lot of instruction in the Bible how to pray, and how not to pray. Pray without ceasing.(1 Thessalonians 5:16-18) How not to pray. (Luke 18:9-14) I talk to Him all the time about everything. I talk to my Heavenly Father similarly to how I talk to my earthly father. This may not be much, and there is much more, but this encompasses the very basic foundation to my prayers. I'll have more to add, and some questions and thoughts from all ya'll to address from here I'm sure.

side note: I will not get into any type of debate or in depth discussion about what you believe, what I believe, or what's 'right or wrong' within religion or creation/evolution! There are 2 other threads specifically desinged to handle that. I will stay on topic to one of my best pal Geoff's first post inquiry as well as basic discussion about prayer.

Sorry for the long post. Hopefully I can keep them shorter from here on.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #16
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
Hi Ben, thx for the kind response! Ahhhh Bacon!!! YUM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiertaco View Post
I don't know what you mean when you say you aren't religious. And when you pray, who/what are you praying to?
Well.... God of course !

And maybe on some nights, the Spaghetti Monster
Old 09-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #17
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I try to pray before every meal I eat.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:08 PM   #18
yotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotaman3130 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS: RN
Name: Ryan
yotaman3130's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wow, I missed this. Great thread Geoff!!! I just can't believe it took this long for someone to bring up these points in this sub-forum.

Great to see you around. I hope all is well with you and the fam!!! I 'bout tore the screen apart when I seen krazies bacon picture. I'll never forget the epic bacon explosion event you created around here.

I would have a few questions to ask you to answer the best way. I don't know what you mean when you say you aren't religious. And when you pray, who/what are you praying to? I guess I would need to know more of what is in your mind and heart to really give you a quality answer. You know I'm available beyond public threads if you ever want to talk, text, or pm in private, or more of a one on one environment........

Well brother, one thing for sure, we already have some of the best people with different views already genuinly discussing a very important topic, especially in regards to this sub-forum.

The Bible is my best prayer instruction manual. But I can tell you in a few brief statements my thoughts on my prayer life which I take very seriously.

It's all about my relationship with God.<<<<read again!! There is a lot of instruction in the Bible how to pray, and how not to pray. Pray without ceasing.(1 Thessalonians 5:16-18) How not to pray. (Luke 18:9-14) I talk to Him all the time about everything. I talk to my Heavenly Father similarly to how I talk to my earthly father. This may not be much, and there is much more, but this encompasses the very basic foundation to my prayers. I'll have more to add, and some questions and thoughts from all ya'll to address from here I'm sure.

side note: I will not get into any type of debate or in depth discussion about what you believe, what I believe, or what's 'right or wrong' within religion or creation/evolution! There are 2 other threads specifically desinged to handle that. I will stay on topic to one of my best pal Geoff's first post inquiry as well as basic discussion about prayer.

wat he said. I pray to God because he is my savior and Lord, and most importantly because i have a relationship with him. I ask for him to bless things, to allow me to know his will for me and my family and also thank him for the many blessing in my life. Most important part of what im trying to say is my relationship with him and how much i need his Word(bible) and spirit in my life. as said above i do not want to debate but if you or anyone wants feel free to pm me.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #19
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
There is no right or wrong way to pray. When I pray I talk with God like I would an old friend. I talk about what is good in my life and what I'm thankful for, I express my needs, these include prayers for myself, family and friends. I always include our service members and those that run our country. I try to pray daily, some days I feel some real one on one and other days I just feel like I'm throwing darts in the sky. Some days I spend 15 seconds in prayer and other days 15 minutes. It has nothing to do with need, it's just where my heart is at the time. And always, I pray for Gods perfect will in my life.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:26 PM   #20
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Good to see you Ben