1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Scared to pray.....

Discussion in 'Personal & Emotional Support' started by neontrail, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Sep 19, 2011 at 8:25 AM
    neontrail

neontrail [OP] ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
    I am not a religious person...

I rarely pray, it seems that I only pray when I need something "good" to happen. But when I DO, I also include what I am thankful for.

Is there a right way, and wrong way to pray? :confused:

2. Sep 19, 2011 at 8:26 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
  3. Sep 19, 2011 at 8:27 AM
    neontrail

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    ^^^ wud up homie

4. Sep 19, 2011 at 8:40 AM
    neontrail

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    I hear ya man!...... It's just when someone is down and out, ill, hurt or something like that, people are always asking to "pray"..... I want to help out in anyway that I can to make the issue at hand better, but am I just praying to make myself feel better? Make "them" feel better..... ? Do people just need something to turn to? I better shut up now...... Im confusing myself more....

LOVING living in McCall, its paradise! Looking foward to the snow now! Stop by the bakery next time you roll thru

5. Sep 19, 2011 at 8:41 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    bacon.jpg

I'm not religious, but I can tell you that people are going to say whatever you feel in your heart, if you mean it when you pray then that's what matters.

But as an atheist, I'd see it as being a little greedy praying just when you want stuff. If I was religious I'd be calling the Big G up on the 411 Prayer line and thanking him for just having a good day.

6. Sep 19, 2011 at 8:46 AM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    Not sure what your issues may be... but if I was your God; praying only when you need something would get you call blocked. A God of convenience is no God at all.

Frank

7. Sep 19, 2011 at 8:48 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    nm going to get oil changed in a bit it’s over by like 300. been busy. may try and go see this girl later too

8. Sep 19, 2011 at 9:43 AM
    angrysam

angrysam Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Somebody's Shit List
    Vehicle:
    2.9 Gen- Not a cunt.
    Fleshlight and an old Farrah Fawcett poster.
    I used to be an occasional prayer like you. I didn't find much use in it and when I did pray I didn't really know how or what to do. Eventually I figured out my own way, got comfortable doing it and now I pray every night.

I don't think there's a right or wrong way. I kneel as I feel it's respectful but you do what feels right to you.

Don't get all wrapped up in saying special prayers unless you want to or the "Thou shalt" fancy talk. Just talk like you would with any other conversation.

Just do what you've been doing. Thank Him for what you have and ask for help.

Try to thank Him everyday if you think of it. Even if it's just one thing.

I personally feel He doesn't care how often you pray or thank Him but appreciates it every time and hopes you will everyday.

9. Sep 19, 2011 at 9:47 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    I'm with Krazie, as an Atheist, that seems to be the "wrong" way to pray.

Although, if you compare yourself to somebody like me who never prays, maybe you're better off in whatever belief system you have?

Fink

10. Sep 19, 2011 at 9:55 AM
    neontrail

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    good responses, thank you

11. Sep 19, 2011 at 10:08 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I don't think of it as praying. I just set back and speak to God. At random times. It may sound silly but during commercials I'll take time to just cut loose and ramble. Not really asking for anything just asking to help me do right and be the best I can be. Just because I wantsomething doesn't mean its right or what I actually need.

12. Sep 19, 2011 at 10:18 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    I don't believe praying even does anything. I think it's all made up poo poo. I'm sure the people who died on 9/11 prayed like a mother fukr to be saved. Well you see how that turned out.I don't knock anyone who believes in god but if I prayed to a garbage can you would think I'm crazy,so why does praying to the sky seem normal? I'm really really anti church.
    Back to the OP question.I assume right way to pray is for someone's safety/health in an unselfess way.Wrong way is to pray you want to bang some chick. :D we are all guilty of that

13. Sep 19, 2011 at 10:20 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    Your mom is a great person to pray to, She at least is real and is looking out for you God on the other hand,no so much.

14. Sep 19, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    that's a common thought among believers of any faith and atheist alike i would think. i pray all the time because i do believe there is a God. probably everyday however i can find a reason to thank him way before i feel i deserve anything from him cause i certainly don't. just today i walked outside and said a silent prayer thanking him for the beautiful day. yeah i know there are plenty here that will berate me for saying that, but everyone "sins" whether you believe in a god or not and its natural for anyone of any faith/nonfaith to feel guilty asking for help from a higher power when they also feel they don't deserve it, cause well, we don't.

15. Sep 22, 2011 at 6:14 AM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wow, I missed this. Great thread Geoff!!! I just can't believe it took this long for someone to bring up these points in this sub-forum.

Great to see you around. I hope all is well with you and the fam!!! I 'bout tore the screen apart when I seen krazies bacon picture. I'll never forget the epic bacon explosion event you created around here.:D

I would have a few questions to ask you to answer the best way. I don't know what you mean when you say you aren't religious. And when you pray, who/what are you praying to? I guess I would need to know more of what is in your mind and heart to really give you a quality answer. You know I'm available beyond public threads if you ever want to talk, text, or pm in private, or more of a one on one environment........

Well brother, one thing for sure, we already have some of the best people with different views already genuinly discussing a very important topic, especially in regards to this sub-forum.

The Bible is my best prayer instruction manual. But I can tell you in a few brief statements my thoughts on my prayer life which I take very seriously.

It's all about my relationship with God.<<<<read again!! There is a lot of instruction in the Bible how to pray, and how not to pray. Pray without ceasing.(1 Thessalonians 5:16-18) How not to pray. (Luke 18:9-14) I talk to Him all the time about everything. I talk to my Heavenly Father similarly to how I talk to my earthly father. This may not be much, and there is much more, but this encompasses the very basic foundation to my prayers. I'll have more to add, and some questions and thoughts from all ya'll to address from here I'm sure.

side note: I will not get into any type of debate or in depth discussion about what you believe, what I believe, or what's 'right or wrong' within religion or creation/evolution! There are 2 other threads specifically desinged to handle that. I will stay on topic to one of my best pal Geoff's first post inquiry as well as basic discussion about prayer.

Sorry for the long post. Hopefully I can keep them shorter from here on.:eek:

16. Sep 22, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    neontrail

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    Hi Ben, thx for the kind response! Ahhhh Bacon!!! YUM!:D

Well.... God :cool: of course !

And maybe on some nights, the Spaghetti Monster :D

17. Sep 22, 2011 at 7:57 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    I try to pray before every meal I eat.:eek:

18. Sep 22, 2011 at 8:08 PM
    yotaman3130

yotaman3130 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ms
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad
    Kobalt low profile tool box, Toyota Roof Rack, K&N drop in air filter, Blue sea fuse panel, Streamlight mounted in glove box, NFAB step bars, FJ offrad rims

wat he said. I pray to God because he is my savior and Lord, and most importantly because i have a relationship with him. I ask for him to bless things, to allow me to know his will for me and my family and also thank him for the many blessing in my life. Most important part of what im trying to say is my relationship with him and how much i need his Word(bible) and spirit in my life. as said above i do not want to debate but if you or anyone wants feel free to pm me.

19. Sep 22, 2011 at 8:24 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    There is no right or wrong way to pray. When I pray I talk with God like I would an old friend. I talk about what is good in my life and what I'm thankful for, I express my needs, these include prayers for myself, family and friends. I always include our service members and those that run our country. I try to pray daily, some days I feel some real one on one and other days I just feel like I'm throwing darts in the sky. Some days I spend 15 seconds in prayer and other days 15 minutes. It has nothing to do with need, it's just where my heart is at the time. And always, I pray for Gods perfect will in my life.

20. Sep 22, 2011 at 8:26 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Good to see you Ben :)

To Top