Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Prayers & Support

Notices

I need some life advice.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
ThatGuy18's Tacoma Gallery
I need some life advice.

I wasn't sure if this was the right place for this thread or not but figured it was as good as any. Okay I'm going to try to make this as short as possible. But it will probably still be long. Bascially I'm 20 years old and 100% confused about life and what I want to do. When I graduated high school I went to junior college just down the road from where all my friends were attending a big university. I didn't give a damn about school and ended up flunking most of my classes. The next year, my parents made me move home and I transferred to a university about 50 miles from our house and commuted everyday. Well I didn't care anymore about school than I had the previous year and with both my parents being gone to work everyday I found it real easy not to make that hour long commute everyday. So after a semester and a half of only going to class about half the time I decided school wasn't my thing. I quit school in March of this year. In June I was finally able to find a job working at the plant where my dad worked. I got hired and was getting tons of hours making double the hourly wage that some of my friends were making. Well now it's a few months later and I've begun to really regret my decision. Don't get me wrong, I have a good job and work for a great company but something about it just isn't right. Working here has showe me that I really need to go back to school and get my degree. But I'm not quite sure how I want to approach the situation. I have a few options...

1. Continue working my full time job and go back to school part time (6-9 hour semesters).
2. Quit my full time job, go to school full time (12+ hours/semester), and get a part time job.
3. Quit my full time job, go to school part time and get a part time job.

There are a few conditions though that might be important. A couple of weeks ago I just bought a new truck. I have a pretty big loan out for the truck and if I quite my current full time job I won't be able to afford the payments/insurance, even with a part time job. So I'd have to sell my truck I just got and go back to something without a payment. I'd more than likely end up losing $1500 or so if I had to sell it. Unless there was someway I could just take it back to the dealer and get my money back (this doesn't actually exist does it?). Also, without a job I won't be able to move away from my parents house so I've been looking at 100% online classes. After looking into it I really think this would be the best way for me to go back to school. I'm tired of typing now and y'all are probably wondering what the point of this post even is so I'm goign to stop now. Basically I'm just looking from advice from those of you who may have been in the same situation as me before or who have had kids in the same situation. If there's anything I left out, just ask.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Hey man im the same way, highschool was like C's didnt give a fuck just wanted to get by. College same way wasnt for me. Join the military, just my opinion. Develop great life skills.

If i were you i wouldnt try to work and go back to school, its not for everyone. It doesnt mean your not smart its just not for everyone. Some people wanna go out and work, get money not sit in a classroom.

And if you do go to college and make more money, hey good for you.

Just my 0.02
Old 10-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #3
Resident Fishing Expert
Maverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kameron
Maverick904's Tacoma Gallery
From my experience, online classes suck, and school has never bothered me. you reallly have to be able to sit down and do it when you need to. Its extremely easy to put off and from the sounds of it you may have a hard time with school related things ahah.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #4
TW's number one gear whore
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 ZULU
Name: David
davestaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oat View Post
Hey man im the same way, highschool was like C's didnt give a fuck just wanted to get by. College same way wasnt for me. Join the military, just my opinion. Develop great life skills.

If i were you i wouldnt try to work and go back to school, its not for everyone. It doesnt mean your not smart its just not for everyone. Some people wanna go out and work, get money not sit in a classroom.

And if you do go to college and make more money, hey good for you.

Just my 0.02
lol x2....i joined the military cause i just didnt want to go to college, but they will pay for me to go when im ready
Old 10-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Go back full time and get your degree. When I was in college it was really tough because all my friends went straight from high school into full time jobs. They made pretty good money and I was broke going through college. I'm not 7 years out of college, all my friends are still in those same jobs making OK money with crappy benefits, shitty schedules and almost no room for advancement and I'm not 7 years into my career and the sky is the limit with how far I can go up.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
I think you should go back full time Blake. Trying to do it while still keeping the job is going to be tremendously difficult, and it will be a lot easier to start slipping on the attendance/effort that way. Going for it 100% will eliminate any distractions that could put you right back to where you are now.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
MrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: John
MrGuitarguy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy18 View Post
I wasn't sure if this was the right place for this thread or not but figured it was as good as any. Okay I'm going to try to make this as short as possible. But it will probably still be long. Bascially I'm 20 years old and 100% confused about life and what I want to do. When I graduated high school I went to junior college just down the road from where all my friends were attending a big university. I didn't give a damn about school and ended up flunking most of my classes. The next year, my parents made me move home and I transferred to a university about 50 miles from our house and commuted everyday. Well I didn't care anymore about school than I had the previous year and with both my parents being gone to work everyday I found it real easy not to make that hour long commute everyday. So after a semester and a half of only going to class about half the time I decided school wasn't my thing. I quit school in March of this year. In June I was finally able to find a job working at the plant where my dad worked. I got hired and was getting tons of hours making double the hourly wage that some of my friends were making. Well now it's a few months later and I've begun to really regret my decision. Don't get me wrong, I have a good job and work for a great company but something about it just isn't right. Working here has showe me that I really need to go back to school and get my degree. But I'm not quite sure how I want to approach the situation. I have a few options...

1. Continue working my full time job and go back to school part time (6-9 hour semesters).
2. Quit my full time job, go to school full time (12+ hours/semester), and get a part time job.
3. Quit my full time job, go to school part time and get a part time job.

There are a few conditions though that might be important. A couple of weeks ago I just bought a new truck. I have a pretty big loan out for the truck and if I quite my current full time job I won't be able to afford the payments/insurance, even with a part time job. So I'd have to sell my truck I just got and go back to something without a payment. I'd more than likely end up losing $1500 or so if I had to sell it. Unless there was someway I could just take it back to the dealer and get my money back (this doesn't actually exist does it?). Also, without a job I won't be able to move away from my parents house so I've been looking at 100% online classes. After looking into it I really think this would be the best way for me to go back to school. I'm tired of typing now and y'all are probably wondering what the point of this post even is so I'm goign to stop now. Basically I'm just looking from advice from those of you who may have been in the same situation as me before or who have had kids in the same situation. If there's anything I left out, just ask.
:/ my upset is that you put yourself in two big pickles. Those being
1) You flunked out on a lot of classes giving yourself a horrible foundation to start over on and
2) You got out a loan.

No worries, Im optimistic, but be prepared this is going to take a lot of work.
My advise:
Due to the fact that this country is based on credit, and loans, and the fact that you now have both pending on a very sweet truck I say keep your job, and go to school ONLINE PART TIME. BUT make sure your PRIORITY is to PAY OFF THE TRUCK as FAST as you can. That way you can get out of a one big problem, keep the truck, not have bad credit, and youll have a way more flexible schedule to change things in the future. This is not going to be easy, so I hope you dont mind not going out.

About school:
Your foundation might not be strong, but a new university, or community college will start you off at 0 gpa, which is good. You can always explain your situation and tell them you want to go in as a new student, and start over. I dont know if that is possible but you can try. Dont transfer your credits or anything and start fresh. TRY HARD. School is the best investment you can make in yourself.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #8
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davestaco View Post
lol x2....i joined the military cause i just didnt want to go to college, but they will pay for me to go when im ready
Yup and if you like it, stay in get your retirement done!
Old 10-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #9
TW's number one gear whore
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 ZULU
Name: David
davestaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oat View Post
Yup and if you like it, stay in get your retirement done!
thats the plan
Old 10-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #10
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I don't want to join the military. I have nothing against the military or anyone in it, and I sincerely appreciate everyone who serves, but I just don't think I could do it. Plus, I couldn't pass the physical due to having two bad knees.

Self discipline is what I was lacking the first time with school. I think I'm ready to give it another go though. Working has done a damn good job of putting the real world in perspective for me. I make good money now but I wouldn't want to be trying to support a wife and one or two kids on this money. I'm ready to get my shit together.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #12
jeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BM3 1st Div.
Name: Jeff
jeff b's Tacoma Gallery
Military. If they will take you and if you have the stones. Edit. I just read about the knees. Sorry dood.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #13
Chicago Dan has a spectacular aura aboutChicago Dan has a spectacular aura about
Navy: Enlisted: Medical Corpsman Commissioned: Intelligence Officer
Name: Dan
Chicago Dan's Tacoma Gallery
Life Advice

Went to college right out of high school. Did horrible, stayed for 3 semesters, quit in the middle of the 4th semester and enlisted (during the Vietnam War).

Got out, went to college on the G.I. Bill- graduated with honors, stayed and got a Master's Degree. Got into my career field, had a great career.

I'll be the first to admit that the military is not for everyone, but it sure turned my life around. As a matter of fact, after I got discharged from active duty, I stayed in the reserves for an extra couple of years. Got out, went back in and got a commission. Stayed on reserve status, got activated for the Gulf War, and retired 7 years later. Now on a military pension.

The military changed my life, gave me direction, focus, and discipline. I am extremely thankful for that.

Although I don't know you, it sounds like you need some of the things that it gave me. Good luck with your decision and your life.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #14
vinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vinnyvavoom's Tacoma Gallery
Tough one bro. You really need to have a decent idea what you want to do. Then you can set the goal to achieve it. One person suggested the military which isn't a bad option if you are unsure what you want in life. It will pay for school when your ready and teach you some discipline along way. As for the truck, don't sweat it, it should not be a major part of this decision. Money and vehicles come and go in life.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #15

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't want to join the military. I have nothing against the military or anyone in it, and I sincerely appreciate everyone who serves, but I just don't think I could do it. Plus, I couldn't pass the physical due to having two bad knees.

Self discipline is what I was lacking the first time with school. I think I'm ready to give it another go though. Working has done a damn good job of putting the real world in perspective for me. I make good money now but I wouldn't want to be trying to support a wife and one or two kids on this money. I'm ready to get my shit together.
Hey props to you for wanting to get back in and realizing ya need to get together. Just keep a clean nose, focus and dont procrastanate (is that how you spell it?). Thats the biggest thing, saying oh ill get it done tommorow can turn into a snowball of shit storm.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #16
jeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BM3 1st Div.
Name: Jeff
jeff b's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Dan View Post
Went to college right out of high school. Did horrible, stayed for 3 semesters, quit in the middle of the 4th semester and enlisted (during the Vietnam War).

Got out, went to college on the G.I. Bill- graduated with honors, stayed and got a Master's Degree. Got into my career field, had a great career.

I'll be the first to admit that the military is not for everyone, but it sure turned my life around. As a matter of fact, after I got discharged from active duty, I stayed in the reserves for an extra couple of years. Got out, went back in and got a commission. Stayed on reserve status, got activated for the Gulf War, and retired 7 years later. Now on a military pension.

The military changed my life, gave me direction, focus, and discipline. I am extremely thankful for that.

Although I don't know you, it sounds like you need some of the things that it gave me. Good luck with your decision and your life.
This is good stuff right here! Im younger but this is my story and ALOT of peoples story. Read it a few times and you still may not get it. Some do some don't.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
I think you should go back full time Blake. Trying to do it while still keeping the job is going to be tremendously difficult, and it will be a lot easier to start slipping on the attendance/effort that way. Going for it 100% will eliminate any distractions that could put you right back to where you are now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGuitarguy View Post
:/ my upset is that you put yourself in two big pickles. Those being
1) You flunked out on a lot of classes giving yourself a horrible foundation to start over on and
2) You got out a loan.

No worries, Im optimistic, but be prepared this is going to take a lot of work.
My advise:
Due to the fact that this country is based on credit, and loans, and the fact that you now have both pending on a very sweet truck I say keep your job, and go to school ONLINE PART TIME. BUT make sure your PRIORITY is to PAY OFF THE TRUCK as FAST as you can. That way you can get out of a one big problem, keep the truck, not have bad credit, and youll have a way more flexible schedule to change things in the future. This is not going to be easy, so I hope you dont mind not going out.

About school:
Your foundation might not be strong, but a new university, or community college will start you off at 0 gpa, which is good. You can always explain your situation and tell them you want to go in as a new student, and start over. I dont know if that is possible but you can try. Dont transfer your credits or anything and start fresh. TRY HARD. School is the best investment you can make in yourself.
You two basically summed up what I've been thinking. I really would love to go back to school full time but the hardest part with that is getting my parents to understand. Believe it or not, I'm more worried about what they'll think when I tell them I want to go back than I was when I told them I wouldn't be going back to school after spring break. And on top of the school thing I now have this stupid loan and my credit to worry about as well.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
What do you want to study in school?
Well out of my 4 semesters in school I went thought three majors. Computer engineering, architecture, and business. I'd like to go back as either computer science (not engineering), or accounting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyvavoom View Post
Tough one bro. You really need to have a decent idea what you want to do. Then you can set the goal to achieve it. One person suggested the military which isn't a bad option if you are unsure what you want in life. It will pay for school when your ready and teach you some discipline along way. As for the truck, don't sweat it, it should not be a major part of this decision. Money and vehicles come and go in life.
The only reason I'm worried about the truck is because I have a $20,000 loan on it and the last thing I need when I'm trying to figure life out is fucked up credit.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #19
MrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: John
MrGuitarguy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You two basically summed up what I've been thinking. I really would love to go back to school full time but the hardest part with that is getting my parents to understand. Believe it or not, I'm more worried about what they'll think when I tell them I want to go back than I was when I told them I wouldn't be going back to school after spring break. And on top of the school thing I now have this stupid loan and my credit to worry about as well.
I dont think your parents are going to pay for your loan. Part time online is the only way. And youll definitely need the self discipline. Your weekends will become school days, and just go to school if you need tutoring. People have done this, and people still do this, and so can you. I believe in you. If you go to school full time that loan will bite you back real hard, and you dont want to get out of class and find out that your truck was repoed. That is humiliating, embarrassing, and youll be left with no truck, making going to school a lot harder.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGuitarguy View Post
I dont think your parents are going to pay for your loan. Part time online is the only way. And youll definitely need the self discipline. Your weekends will become school days, and just go to school if you need tutoring. People have done this, and people still do this, and so can you. I believe in you. If you go to school full time that loan will bite you back real hard, and you dont want to get out of class and find out that your truck was repoed. That is humiliating, embarrassing, and youll be left with no truck, making going to school a lot harder.
I think you've misunderstood something as far as the truck goes. If I go back to school full time there's no way I'd even try to keep the truck. I'd sell it and take the loss now. I'd rather lose $1500-$2000 now then have fucked up credit for the rest of my life.

For anyone wondering about how I'm going to pay for school. My parents had a college fund for me when I went the first time. After I quit they cashed it out and put it in another account that draws more interest. They told me when I quit that if/when I decided to go back I would be on my own. But they said if I got loans and went back and graduated that they'd pay off the loans for me. So on top of all this I would taking most of the oney out as student loans.