Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Prayers & Support

Notices

Prayers for my family please, had to put down my dog

Old 12-04-2011, 06:35 AM   #1
wesb1023 is a splendid one to beholdwesb1023 is a splendid one to beholdwesb1023 is a splendid one to beholdwesb1023 is a splendid one to beholdwesb1023 is a splendid one to beholdwesb1023 is a splendid one to beholdwesb1023 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Westley
wesb1023's Tacoma Gallery
Prayers for my family please, had to put down my dog

So I guess I will tell the whole story. I found an injured puppy along the side of the road a little over two years ago. You could see every bone in his body, and to top it off he had been tied with a string or small rope around his neck that had cut into him pretty deep. Then I guess they decided to move the rope from his neck to his paw, because his paw was almost torn completly off the bone was fully exposed. We fell in love with him immediatly. After many many trips to the vet, and dressing changes his paw healed. He had to have several toes removed but the pad on his paw came back and he was able to use his foot at maybe 75%. The vet had tried to get us to remove his leg, and many people said to put him down. We wanted to give him a chance, so thats what we named him, Chance. After nursing him back to heath it became obvious that he was an american pit bull. He had been severly abused, and neglected and put on the side of the road to die.

Fast forwarding now, the older he got the more aggressive he got. He was the sweetest dog we have ever had to my family including my one year old little girl. But if anyone came to our house, he was not stable. He still had some issues from his past as a puppy. He hated anybody that came here. We had many close calls with our family members visiting our baby. He has trapped the mail man, jumped and snapped at several people. Yesterday it happened, he bit a visitor at our house. They had been here for twenty minutes, and they were leaving. My wife and I were standing right there, we thought we had calmed him down. Then the next thing we knew he had attacked. We have been through nothing but horror ever since. After much praying and research on what to do, given the situation with what kind of dog he was and his past, and nature, we decided to put him down. The risk was just too great, we have kids come over here alot, its one thing for him to bark, but biting is different. I could have understood if he thought he was protecting us, but the lady he bit was no threat and I believe he knew that, he just did not want her here for whatever reason. Anyway I put him down myself, and buried him with his favorite toys. I am still so upset, its just not fair. I know its horrible, and its also the last thing I ever wanted to do.

I am not asking anyone to judge what we did, we just need prayers and support please. Thank you for reading and your prayers in advance.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:40 AM   #2
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Hey sorry to hear about that. I have a dog too and know how much they are a part of the family. You got my support because I would have done the same thing. Something serious could have happened to a kid or even an adult. I think you totally did what was right
Old 12-04-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hear about your dog.

How did you put him down? If you don't mind me asking.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:46 AM   #4
Viejon
markmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Mark
markmatters's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a dog lover..I have a pug and miniature pinscher and they're part of my family...and i don't want to think about the day when I have to say goodbye. You made a tough decision, but maybe the right one.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:55 AM   #5
wesb1023 is a splendid one to beholdwesb1023 is a splendid one to beholdwesb1023 is a splendid one to beholdwesb1023 is a splendid one to beholdwesb1023 is a splendid one to beholdwesb1023 is a splendid one to beholdwesb1023 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshirts View Post
Sorry to hear about your dog.

How did you put him down? If you don't mind me asking.
I took him to the back yard playing with him and pulled my pistol out of my pocket and shot him at close range. He did not expect anything bad. He was not scared. I couldnt bring myself to carry him anywhere knowing he would be scared to death until the end. He had a very hard life and this has really taken an emotional toll on me and my family.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:57 AM   #6
Viejon
markmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Mark
markmatters's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesb1023 View Post
I took him to the back yard playing with him and pulled my pistol out of my pocket and shot him at close range. He did not expect anything bad. He was not scared. I couldnt bring myself to carry him anywhere knowing he would be scared to death until the end. He had a very hard life and this has really taken an emotional toll on me and my family.
whoa..
Old 12-04-2011, 06:58 AM   #7
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
That must of been so hard to do. Sorry bud. I know how much dogs mean to people.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:13 AM   #8
..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..
186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Charles
186000mps's Tacoma Gallery
Westley,
I feel your pain, and believe you did the moral thing as heartbreaking as it was.
Yesterday I went to the hill where I buried my dog Cooper, Every time I visit, I add a stone or two on top of his grave, he now has three large towers. He was an American Pit Bull. We too rescued him from a troubled past. My wife and kids brought him back from Chicago to Vermont, where we live, the whole ride was perfect he cozied right up with the kids. The first week home, he snapped my son in the face and ripped his lip apart. We had several close calls in the months to follow, only with children tho. After much searching on the internet and talking to the vet, we decided to put him down before anyone else was injured. I could not bear to give him away and have him hurt another child. I loved that dog as much as could be.
When a dog is rescued, we have no idea what has happened to him/her in the past, what traumas they have been through. As much love as we poured in, his past came back. I do not blame the breed by any means, I blame the previous owner!
I have two Pit Bulls now, that we raised from pups. They are the kindest dogs ever and love children. Its all in the initial upbringing. My condolences to you and your family. Our pets are truly an extension of our family.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:34 AM   #9
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
NicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nic
NicNac22's Tacoma Gallery
you 100% did the right thing, attacking people is not good, any breed should be put down for it, he had a traumatic past that messed him up. You gave him a good life. You did the right thing. Sorry to hear that.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:42 AM   #11
U.S.M.C.
bowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of light

Marines: HQ BN Truck CO 2nd Marine Division, RS Salt lake city, 6th Marine Regiment, 7th Marine Regiment
bowzerdoo77's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to bowzerdoo77 Send a message via Skype™ to bowzerdoo77
Yea, I have a Yorkie that I have had for 11 years and I will have to take leave the day he has to be put to sleep, I know where your coming from.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:01 PM   #12

Thanks to everyone, this is truly a tragic event that I am going to have such a hard time swallowing. I know I did the morally right thing, but it just doesn't feel like it. Most times you get a good feeling after doing something morally right, I just feel terrible, and I miss my friend. It didn't matter if I was gone a week or five mins, he always greeted me like I had been gone a month. Thanks again to everyone!
Old 12-04-2011, 03:09 PM   #13
Kilo22 is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Name: Josh
Kilo22's Tacoma Gallery
He had a better life than he would have ever had because of you and you family. Sorry for you loss.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #14
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
damn man1 sorry you had to put him down! we have 3 dogs now. but when i was in 5th grade we had to put the dog my mom found before i was born down. i loved that dog.

and if i was in the same situation as you i prob would have put him down the same way. just think about how you made the last 2 years of his live the best they could have been!
Old 12-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #15
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sorry for your loss and feel bad for you, you did the right thing for sure.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #16
Erich
Surferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurferdude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Erich
Surferdude's Tacoma Gallery
Whoa, as a dog lover and protector of two currently with us, this was hard to read.

U did the right thing.

Though I respect the idea of taking him down myself, I couldn't do it that way. I'd be too worried about
missing or worse, injuring him.

So I wonder, given today's technology, what are the other options?

My eldest dog is 12 and I would prefer to say goodbye here at home and not in an office.

That being said, what are the humane, non-frightening options?
Old 12-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #17
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Sorry to hear at man, your family has my prayers
Old 12-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #18
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry for your loss, it sounds like you did your best to give him a good life and in the end, the original owner had already ruined it for him. At least you gave him a couple good years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferdude View Post
Whoa, as a dog lover and protector of two currently with us, this was hard to read.

U did the right thing.

Though I respect the idea of taking him down myself, I couldn't do it that way. I'd be too worried about
missing or worse, injuring him.

So I wonder, given today's technology, what are the other options?

My eldest dog is 12 and I would prefer to say goodbye here at home and not in an office.

That being said, what are the humane, non-frightening options?
Honestly, what the OP did is a humane and non-frightening option of you want to do it at home. Not trying to sound cold, but dogs don't get scared when someone pulls a gun, they have no idea what they are and don't have the reaction people do. Personally, I don't think I'd be able to do it, but I know lots of people who have done it. Live in an very rural area and it is not uncommon.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #19
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
so sorry to hear this about your buddy. Hope he didn't injure the woman too badly. You did the right thing in putting him down. Next time it could have been one of your kids or you or your wife.

You gave him a good life but from the sounds of it, he had too much baggage he couldn't get past.

I completely understand you putting him down at home. Let him go in familiar surroundings.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #20

Some pics of my Chance. I am gonna miss him so very much. You all can see how happy he was in the pics, and thats how we want to remember him.
Attached Thumbnails
Prayers for my family please, had to put down my dog-001.jpg   Prayers for my family please, had to put down my dog-chance-001.jpg   Prayers for my family please, had to put down my dog-snow-day-2010-030.jpg   Prayers for my family please, had to put down my dog-htc-desire-pictures-presley-083.jpg   Prayers for my family please, had to put down my dog-htc-desire-pictures-presley-080.jpg