LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Prayers & Support

Notices

need advice on my dog with cancer

Old 09-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
brow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud of

Name: Andy
brow's Tacoma Gallery
need advice on my dog with cancer

Well I had no idea who to turn too, found out last week that my dog has cancer, maybe 2 months left for him. Total shock because he's only 5 years old and a complete mutt.

This has pretty much wrecked me, he's the only dog I've ever had, raised him from a pup, and I was in a pretty rough spot and he was the only thing that kept me going for a couple years.

I have no idea what to do about this or how to deal with it. The vet has him on steroids to keep him living normally for as long as possible.

What I dont know is what to do when he starts getting bad, for those of you who have gone through this before I would love any advice on how to handle this, how to know when its time to let him go. I can see him slowing down allready and its just killing me
Attached Thumbnails
need advice on my dog with cancer-ludo-bw.jpg  
Old 09-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
This might not be a popular answer...But he is suffering every day you give him the steroids and keep him around. It's gunna hurt...but you should think about putting him down, imo. You've got good memories with him till now...Hold on to those and relieve his pain.

Sorry to hear about your situation....I hope you come to a good answer.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
Ghoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Retired
Ghoster's Tacoma Gallery
Just don't let him suffer. Sorry for the loss.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
LocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud of

Coast Guard: RDC Retired
Name: Don
LocoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Just don't let your pal suffer.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
Coolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Coolerman's Tacoma Gallery
We went through this just two years ago with our 14 year old Shepherd mix. It was probably the most difficult thing Ive ever had to do. We could tell he wasn't the same and the best thing you can do if you think the dog is suffering is to let him go. It is never easy making that decision.

In our case my dog developed a large tumor on his backside almost overnight. Because of its location operating was not an option. It progressed quickly (developed a 2nd tumor on the first)and within a months time we had to let him go. I still get sad and miss him, but there are so many great memories.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
As long as he's not suffering, spend as much time as you can with him.

This isn't the site I found when I was looking, but it has some things to look for to give you an idea when the time comes....

http://www.ehow.com/how_8643247_euthanize-dog.html

I was there last year with my beloved Olivia.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
steve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: steve
steve103's Tacoma Gallery
sorry to hear. just put down a dog i had for 15 yrs. for me its about the quality of life. when you have to start to clean up ater them because they can not walk its a good time to call the vet. we found one that came to our house. good luck.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Same type of situation I was in February. My Dachshund, after having owned him for 20 years got some type of liver disease and we gave him medication for a month or so before we decided it was time. He would howl at night in pain and I couldn't take it anymore, after it was done of course I was sad for losing my best friend but I knew it was the right choice. Not sure if you want that type of advice but I'm glad I didn't make him suffer for me. He had a good life.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
MeAndMyRC is on a distinguished road
Army: MP, Mec. Inf.,Big Red 1
Name: John
MeAndMyRC's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hear about your pal,what I did was,took mine along to the shelter, and had him help pick out another. His approval helped when the time came to put him down, knowing he helped.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #12
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
This might not be a popular answer...But he is suffering every day you give him the steroids and keep him around. It's gunna hurt...but you should think about putting him down, imo. You've got good memories with him till now...Hold on to those and relieve his pain.

Sorry to hear about your situation....I hope you come to a good answer.
Sorry to say, but I agree. We had to put our puppy down a few years back, breast cancer.
Prayers for you.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #13
brow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud of

Name: Andy
brow's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the help guys, I dont know how many times i've watched that video, it kind of says it all. I know I can't let him suffer, he's not in any pain yet, just slower.

Thanks again.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #14
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
I went through this with Luna this past spring. If he starts to suffer, you have to have him pout down. Like Susan said, spend as much time as possible with him until then.

My prayers are with you.