1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

need advice on my dog with cancer

Discussion in 'Personal & Emotional Support' started by brow, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Sep 29, 2012 at 1:20 PM
    brow

brow [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500
    Well I had no idea who to turn too, found out last week that my dog has cancer, maybe 2 months left for him. Total shock because he's only 5 years old and a complete mutt.

This has pretty much wrecked me, he's the only dog I've ever had, raised him from a pup, and I was in a pretty rough spot and he was the only thing that kept me going for a couple years.

I have no idea what to do about this or how to deal with it. The vet has him on steroids to keep him living normally for as long as possible.

What I dont know is what to do when he starts getting bad, for those of you who have gone through this before I would love any advice on how to handle this, how to know when its time to let him go. I can see him slowing down allready and its just killing me

ludo bw.jpg

2. Sep 29, 2012 at 1:23 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    This might not be a popular answer...But he is suffering every day you give him the steroids and keep him around. It's gunna hurt...but you should think about putting him down, imo. You've got good memories with him till now...Hold on to those and relieve his pain.

Sorry to hear about your situation....I hope you come to a good answer.

3. Sep 29, 2012 at 1:25 PM
    Ghoster

Ghoster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baltimore
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner DCSB
    Just don't let him suffer. Sorry for the loss.

4. Sep 29, 2012 at 1:37 PM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    Damn, Andy, sorry for your dog. been there.................:(
    the attached vid has been seen millions of times and , hopefully, helped many dog-owners. i know it did for me. enjoy the remaining time with him. However, sometimes death is the greatest release.....................as it is an end to suffering.
    http://vimeo.com/8191217

5. Sep 29, 2012 at 1:44 PM
    LocoTaco

LocoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Central Washington
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 TRD Sport
    Just don't let your pal suffer.

6. Sep 29, 2012 at 2:05 PM
    Coolerman

Coolerman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 SR5 AC / 2007 4x4 FJC / 2021 Tesla Y
    Pro/2015 Coil-overs n shocks, Icon progressive AAL, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags and cradles, ECGS clamshell bushing, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau cover, 2014 Navigation radio and backup camera, Wet Okole seat covers, rcbs204 lighted 4x4 switch, Weathertech digifit floor mats and in channel window vents, Scanguage II, Hayden 678 Trans cooler, Western Suburbanite plow, Pop and Lock PL8521
    We went through this just two years ago with our 14 year old Shepherd mix. It was probably the most difficult thing Ive ever had to do. We could tell he wasn't the same and the best thing you can do if you think the dog is suffering is to let him go. It is never easy making that decision.

In our case my dog developed a large tumor on his backside almost overnight. Because of its location operating was not an option. It progressed quickly (developed a 2nd tumor on the first)and within a months time we had to let him go. I still get sad and miss him, but there are so many great memories.

7. Sep 29, 2012 at 2:10 PM
    Coolerman

Coolerman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 SR5 AC / 2007 4x4 FJC / 2021 Tesla Y
    Pro/2015 Coil-overs n shocks, Icon progressive AAL, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags and cradles, ECGS clamshell bushing, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau cover, 2014 Navigation radio and backup camera, Wet Okole seat covers, rcbs204 lighted 4x4 switch, Weathertech digifit floor mats and in channel window vents, Scanguage II, Hayden 678 Trans cooler, Western Suburbanite plow, Pop and Lock PL8521
    Your dog looks beautiful, Im so sorry to hear this.

8. Sep 30, 2012 at 12:56 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    As long as he's not suffering, spend as much time as you can with him.

This isn't the site I found when I was looking, but it has some things to look for to give you an idea when the time comes....

http://www.ehow.com/how_8643247_euthanize-dog.html

I was there last year with my beloved Olivia.

9. Sep 30, 2012 at 1:32 PM
    steve103

steve103 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    santa cruz ca
    Vehicle:
    07 taco
    arb bumper,bilstein shocks,886 ome springs,ar mojove rims,2optima batteries,custom electrial.on board air,cb,14gal frontrunner water tank,frontrunner roofrack
    sorry to hear. just put down a dog i had for 15 yrs. for me its about the quality of life. when you have to start to clean up ater them because they can not walk its a good time to call the vet. we found one that came to our house. good luck.

10. Sep 30, 2012 at 1:44 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Same type of situation I was in February. My Dachshund, after having owned him for 20 years got some type of liver disease and we gave him medication for a month or so before we decided it was time. He would howl at night in pain and I couldn't take it anymore, after it was done of course I was sad for losing my best friend but I knew it was the right choice. Not sure if you want that type of advice but I'm glad I didn't make him suffer for me. He had a good life.

11. Sep 30, 2012 at 4:22 PM
    MeAndMyRC

MeAndMyRC Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Glen Rock, Pa.
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma, Red with Black trim
    Black GrillCraft grill,BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A, LT265/75/16, stainless steprails, halo headlights.
    Sorry to hear about your pal,what I did was,took mine along to the shelter, and had him help pick out another. His approval helped when the time came to put him down, knowing he helped.

12. Sep 30, 2012 at 4:25 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Sorry to say, but I agree. We had to put our puppy down a few years back, breast cancer.
    Prayers for you.

13. Oct 1, 2012 at 9:01 AM
    brow

brow [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500
    thanks for the help guys, I dont know how many times i've watched that video, it kind of says it all. I know I can't let him suffer, he's not in any pain yet, just slower.

Thanks again.

14. Oct 1, 2012 at 9:06 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    I went through this with Luna this past spring. If he starts to suffer, you have to have him pout down. Like Susan said, spend as much time as possible with him until then.

My prayers are with you.

To Top