1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Freedom of religion

Discussion in 'Personal & Emotional Support' started by coffeesnob, Apr 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apr 1, 2015 at 2:49 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    What do you all think of the freedom of religion commotion going on right now. Good? Bad? Indifferent? I really think the media is making it a bigger issue than it needs to be.

2. Apr 1, 2015 at 2:50 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
  3. Apr 1, 2015 at 2:54 PM
    Artruck

Artruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lawrence, KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 Super Basic
    Its the last gasp of the defeated.... its hurting those who have real religious issues more than its helping protect anyone. In my view, you can be a dick to anyone you want for any reason, you just can't make laws to protect you from the results. You can hate the (insert sports team) all you want, but you can't freely punch a supporter of said team when they win.

4. Apr 1, 2015 at 10:10 PM
    millertime89

millertime89 Flatlander

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    Yes sir
    Insert the Kansas City Chiefs... bleh

5. Apr 2, 2015 at 2:21 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    It's weird how "religious" people are deemed as haters when they make a stand on an issue but they are threatned by the same group that calls them haters.

6. Apr 2, 2015 at 2:45 AM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    I think freedom of religion is great but cannot extend to the point of allowing you to discriminate against others because your religion doesn't tolerate them. If your religion is telling you that you have to discriminate against other law-abiding people then you are misinterpreting your religion or you are being led astray by a sociopath.

Longshoreman likes this.
  7. Apr 2, 2015 at 2:46 AM
    Kolunatic

Kolunatic Broke ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 DC peerunner
    No longer are we able to disagree.

8. Apr 2, 2015 at 7:51 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Why skirt the issue , why not just say " Freedom to discriminate " ?

beertimecontinuum likes this.
  9. Apr 2, 2015 at 8:05 AM
    vbibi

vbibi Well-Known Member

Member:
    san fransisco bay area
    Vehicle:
    2009 4door long bed
    I don't think the media has anything to do with. The marchers on the street
    aren't there because of media. But these who call it freedom of what religion? I think Jesus rebuked Peter when he took of his sword. If we condemn the gay people and don't support their behavior, good for us,
    but banning them from our stores and refuse to serve them, then again what religion? I taught that Jesus said not to judge others, or we reinvented the "religion"

10. Apr 2, 2015 at 9:40 AM
    Shelf Life

Shelf Life Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '06 ACC CAB 4x4 TRD OFF ROAD
    If I'm running a business, I'll take your money; I'm trying to make a living. In life you have to deal with all types of people you may not care for personally. As long as you don't act out and are civilized in my establishment, your cash is welcome. Think like I do or else you aren't welcome here is about the worst possible business practice I can think of.
    Oz is correct, it's discrimination.

11. Apr 2, 2015 at 9:53 AM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Parents were both raised and attended Catholic schools their entire lives. I was raised the same except attended a public school. I don't EVER recall learning that we should pick and choose which sin is okay and which sin isn't okay and by extension decide who we will and who we will not conduct business with...

To me, the "law", is a legally backed means of discrimination and is inappropriate.

I'd like for a supporter of the law to discribe why certain behaviors or sins are okay and certain behaviors are deemed so severe that business must shun those dollars.

I have been self employed for years (prior to my current employment) and I can promise you, I'd never turn down business from any entity who otherwise conducts themselves within the law.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  12. Apr 2, 2015 at 9:59 AM
    tcBob

tcBob Gringo Bandito Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 Black
    x3

Just to add...these businesses make use of public services such as the roads paid for by everybody, the police force paid for by everybody, the fire dept paid for by everybody, etc.

13. Apr 2, 2015 at 10:02 AM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    I'm okay with business choosing to not serve people for reasons like this. Privately owned.

Moreso, I want to know how people who discriminate feel. That way I will know to never do business with them. I'll hit em there.

14. Apr 2, 2015 at 10:03 AM
    wanna taco

wanna taco What's my name?

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x2 Barcelona Red!
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    Commotion? The Religious Right is pushing for Christian Sharia law. Nobody can be indifferent anymore. Love it or hate it.

15. Apr 2, 2015 at 10:14 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    yep...let them hate and put themselves out of business. goodbye discriminating small businesses.

:bowdown:

16. Apr 2, 2015 at 10:21 AM
    CBiscuit14

CBiscuit14 Professional Lurker

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD Sport 4X4
    A smart business owner will take your money regardless of who you are or what you believe. If a business wants to discriminate, then let the people decide with their pocket books. Also, if you are so opposed to the business owner's viewpoints, do you really want them to be forced to accept your money and then use it at their discretion?

17. Apr 2, 2015 at 10:32 AM
    Mr Ribby

Mr Ribby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2013 "Baja"
    Pioneer DvD double din, pioneer 5way front door speakers, kicker 3 way rear door speaker
    Just because you don't want to serve someone doesn't mean your discriminating against them. Does this mean all the food chains that have a sign that says you must have all your clothes on for service are discriminating against the those who can't afford clothes? At the end of the day it's there business let them run it the way they want to run it.... its there money. Everyone needs to stop bitching and suing each other just cause someone got offended. I do have a big problem with people threating the pizza place. If they don't want to serve you then move on to the next pizza place.... I'm sure there is a pizza hut down the road.... Sorry for the rant but its pathetic how everyone is a bunch of babies. What happened to the society where you walked outside of the bar settled it as men and then had a drink over it. As a Christian it is within my religion to realize that being gay, is not a norm of life. However with that being said, IF YOU WANT TO BE GAY THATS YOUR BUISNESS NOT MINE. Where people begin to forget is this would be no different than a Satanist walking into a small family owned bakery where the shop owners are religious. Would it be so wrong for the shop owners to deny them service if they asked for a cake with some sort of satanic writing or emblems? Way to blown out of proportion.... I live in Indiana too..... WTF!

18. Apr 2, 2015 at 10:41 AM
    Mr Ribby

Mr Ribby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2013 "Baja"
    Pioneer DvD double din, pioneer 5way front door speakers, kicker 3 way rear door speaker
    Well that's discrimination! Just cause I cant afford shoes doesn't mean my feet are dirty!!!! I'm just screwing with you.... I just wanted to make the point that people cry discrimination 24/7

Hell if your paying me the same money as the guy before or after you I don't give a flying S*** where you come from or who you fornicate with! MONEY IS MONEY and I need more of it for my truck mods...

19. Apr 2, 2015 at 10:46 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

and if she weighs the same as a duck she must be a witch

we'll need my largest scales

20. Apr 2, 2015 at 11:07 AM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    If a poster fails to understand the difference between clothing and the topic at hand, IMO, you're wasting your breath and said poster looses his credibility.

BTW, I was born and raised near Bloomington, Indiana (a very nice smaller town) and it's near where my son and his wife still live...I still enjoy visiting. But, I've already told people I'm ashamed of the way my former home state has presented itself.

It appears business and law makers tend to agree with general public outcry over the law...good news I'd say. Too bad it took such a public humiliation for them to understand or at least acquiesce.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/indiana-lawmakers-unveil-changes-to-religious-freedom-law-1427981035

Agree or disagree with the law as written or how it was written. The stupidity involved in NOT seeing the wave of negative reaction coming is enough to have those "leaders" voted out IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
To Top