1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What is a good GPS?

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by 99toyotaco, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Jul 21, 2010 at 6:25 AM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    Thats a good deal, but I would never pay for new maps, there are was to get them free. :D

Note: I read the code on conduct and unless I missed it, mentioning that isn't against the rules, but if it is, feel free to remove that. :)

2. Jul 21, 2010 at 6:44 AM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
    I got a Garmin Etrex handheld with a Cigarette lighter plug hookup,works great tigergps.com got best prices

3. Jul 21, 2010 at 6:47 AM
    BigJLarse83

BigJLarse83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    06 DC PreRunner TRD Sport
    Any GPS made by Garmin, they are the best IMO. I have the W55 and it does everything I need it to and it was only $100.

4. Aug 29, 2010 at 7:23 AM
    Taco4x4NC

Taco4x4NC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC/LB "Pytrite Mica/Katzkin leather
    3m clear bra or Venture, stant locking gas cap, Shield, front windows tinted, weathertechs, ARE "Z" topper. Sockmonkey decal, Billy 5100's x 4 corners, Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5 AAL. Michelin 265/75/16 MS2's, Grillcraft MX series/TOYOTA badging. FJ/SE TRD Anthracite gray wheels. Katzkin leather/heated seats.
    Garmin 1300, bought at wally world for like 150.00

I own two now. Perfect for my needs in the car or truck.

Why spend huge $$$ when you can get by with $150.00 unit.

5. Sep 2, 2010 at 5:48 PM
    wavjumpr

wavjumpr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner
    Hello, I have this one works great, has a 7 in screen, flip over the suction cup under the stereo, mount and lighter plug concelied, works great and you can see it great, also has a aux for external video plug in such as an ipod, ect. Model
    Magellan RM1700 Roadmate 1700 7" Touchscreen GPS Navigation System

7" One Touch Touchscreen / Highway Lane Assistance / SmartDetour / Preloaded Maps For The United States, Canada, And Puerto Rico / AAA TourBook , they have them at Best buy on sell , for 199.99, was 299.00.

P1160452.jpg

6. Sep 2, 2010 at 6:05 PM
    maju

maju Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Silver TRD Sport 4x4
    Undercover tonneau, Scangauge II, Garmin GPS, Michelin LTX M/S2
    I bought a Garmin 255W last month for $98, to replace a MIO that I dropped and cracked the screen.

Wish I had bouhgt a Garmin sooner.

7. Sep 2, 2010 at 6:08 PM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    What's the deal with the topo maps and stuff on the Garmins? Are they any good?

I bought a Tom-Tom (dumb move I know) thinking that it would help me find the rivers and things that I need, but the maps never show rivers or ponds unless they are huge, and zooming out is worthless too. Also any time I have a coordinate that is off a road it flips out and doesn't know how to get there. Same issue if I am trying to get somewhere from offroad. Is moving to Garmin going to be an improvement or do I need to go another route?

8. Sep 2, 2010 at 7:16 PM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    I have two favorites saved that my Garmin mapped as coordinates. I guess they're too far set back off the road to count as street addresses. Anyway, it gets me directions to it fine.
    As far as starting off-road, it will tell me to "Continue to <..> street" or "Continue to highlighted route" depending on where I am. Not sure what it would do if I would start at one off-road coordinate and drive to another one (with no streets to drive on, say a desert or large plane)

9. Sep 2, 2010 at 7:19 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    Garmin 1300LMT.

please dont do anything but garmin.

10. Sep 2, 2010 at 7:25 PM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s

Good stuff, thank you!

How accurate and precise are land forms and bodies of water on the maps? Does it give names for most rivers/ponds/lakes?

11. Sep 2, 2010 at 7:41 PM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    i use my Garmin 500 offroad at least once a month... it's been great so far in finding my way back to camp... it has found me very small trails when i lost track of where i was and needed to get back...

it doesn't name the lakes or bodies of water, but shows them on the topo and the elevations are listed as well...

if you don't want to drop the cash on a detailed Lowrance, the Garmin 500 is a great unit...

[​IMG]

12. Oct 8, 2010 at 5:57 PM
    CO-DayTripper

CO-DayTripper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '08 V6 PreRunner SR5
    ARE top, D-Ring install, tailgate anti-thief mod, iPod adapter, rear power bank
    In case anyone is still interested, Amazon is selling the Nuvi 255W for $89 dollars. It is a refurbished model, but most people seem happy with them, and it appears they are selling a lot of them. I purchased one, and have been using it for over 2 weeks with no problems. It looked new, with no cosmetic blemishes. Hope this helps.

13. Oct 9, 2010 at 6:25 AM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    Garmin is also selling the lifetime subscription for these 'older' models cheaper. Check out their store.

14. Oct 10, 2010 at 9:41 PM
    "OLYMPIC VIEW"

"OLYMPIC VIEW" Well-Known Member

Member:
    WHIDBEY ISLAND, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SPORT D/C LB...1987 SR-5 4WD XCAB
    My wife has the Garmin w/ the 5" screen, blue-tooth, FM traffic...great unit, not sure of the model #, but it was $199- at Costco...

I have an older Magellan Roadmate w/ the 4.5" screen, like it as well and has the four options for navigation...most use of freeways, shortest route, fastest time, and most use of city streets...

Products Discussed in

To Top