1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Extang Solid Fold Review

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by bigred_d, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Aug 15, 2010 at 9:56 PM
    bigred_d

bigred_d [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darren
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    10 DC V6 TRD
    I've only had my Tacoma for about 2 months (7,000km), but here is my first review, the Extang Solid Fold (or the Toyota Canada hard folding tonneau: the instructions from Toyota Canada are the Extang instructions with the Extang company information removed).

http://www.extang.com/docs/solidfold.html

Here is a picture of what the instructions suggest you should do. Installation of a bracket into the factory bed rails and then attach the spring loaded clamp to the bracket.

[​IMG]

I didn't like this setup for two reasons.

1. The block that slides into the bed rail isn't tall enough. It needs to be a few millimetres taller because if you tighten it down enough, you can see the bed rail opening up and the block starting to pop out.
    2. I didn't like the thin, sharp edge that the clamp attached to. I worried that with the opening and closing it would eventually wear on the plastic and it could split or snap off.

[​IMG]

I don't know why the instructions don't just say to attach the clamp into the bed rail all alone. It has a nice rounded edge to protect the plastic and there's no extra crap to deal with.

[​IMG]

And the fixed clamp at the back, same deal, the instructions said to put in the bracket. I did need the bracket because the wing nut was too close to the bed and it eventually hit the rail and you couldn't snug it up. To fix this I just stole the washers that came with the brackets and put them in as a spacer to push the wing nut down a tiny bit to allow me to snug up the clamp.

[​IMG]

The side rails on the cover fit nice and snug and no water leaks in on the sides.

[​IMG]

The back and front however, have small gaps at the side where water could leak in. The only water I have had get in so far was when I washed it and sprayed right on the corner. Normal driving in the rain has proven to keep the bed nice and dry. I will wait until the rain season here on the wet coast to see how it truly holds up.

[​IMG]

;D

2. Aug 16, 2010 at 10:04 PM
    TacomaMtnMan

TacomaMtnMan those who seek fear shall be followed by fear

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Broomfield
    Vehicle:
    Fox Shox lifted DC 4x4
    3" lift using Fox Shocks Coilover, Total Chaos UCA's. Running: Duratrac 285/70/17 Rear suspension just a 1" block for now. Will have custom rear springs no block. Fox w/ Resi.
    Nice review. :)

Could you post some photos of the entire rear of your truck? I would like to see the entire cover and how it fits.

Thanks!

3. Aug 17, 2010 at 8:14 AM
    bigred_d

Member:
    First Name:
    Darren
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    10 DC V6 TRD
    It basically sits right on top of the bed caps and has foam seals on the sides and a hollow rubber seals on the front and back. I believe Extang sells a tailgate sealer pack which is just more foam or rubber seals that you put around the tailgate where it closes to help keep some more water out.

Hopefully these pics are what you are looking for. I can take some more if you need, but these were just some I already had.

;D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Aug 17, 2010 at 9:49 AM
    H0LLYW00D

H0LLYW00D Well-Known Member

Member:
    not to jack the thread, I also have this cover and it works great, although like the OP said the attachment and clamping system could use a little fine tuning but over all i wouldn't hesitate to buy it again for my truck.

5. Sep 15, 2010 at 1:21 PM
    bookmonke

bookmonke Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC PreRunner Rugged Trail
    Nice write up, were you able to leave the bed tie down cleats in the rails? And how dry as it been keeping things, I'm guessing weight is about 30 to 40 pounds, so can you stand on it, thanks.

6. Sep 17, 2010 at 6:27 AM
    bigred_d

Member:
    First Name:
    Darren
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    10 DC V6 TRD
    The tie downs stay in.

It gets a very tiny bit of water dribbling in some of the cracks, but nothing to worry about. I bet if you trimmed the seals a bit it would be perfect.

Yes, I can stand on it to wash my roof. :)

;D

7. May 25, 2011 at 8:33 PM
    BLKPSHN2

BLKPSHN2 Member

Member:
    Long Island NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport
    Thanks for that post. Just bought the solid fold for my 2011 and there were no instructions included so had no idea what the brackets were for. It seems they've improved the bracket and the backing piece as they work quite well now that your pics showed me how gthey were to be installed. I was not able to go directly into the rail with the clamps. Your design looks slightly different.

8. Jun 27, 2011 at 5:43 AM
    stevei54

stevei54 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Gray Metallic SR5
    Are you happy with the cover's fit and function? Or would you reconsider and buy something else now that you have had experience with the Extang?

Looks like one of the easier Solid Covers to install vs the Fold-a-cover G4?

9. Jul 3, 2011 at 5:10 PM
    BLKPSHN2

BLKPSHN2 Member

Member:
    Long Island NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport
    I just installed this recently and I love it. I installed the Dynolock tail gate lock as well and now have a very secure space to store things. Its been watertight so far and I didnt even install the free tailgate weather stripping they sent. The instructions were terrible, but the pics from this thread made installation a breeze.

10. Aug 7, 2011 at 3:04 PM
    stevei54

stevei54 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Gray Metallic SR5
    Did you attach directly to the top rail -- or did you use the metal clips they provided to it appears slide into the rails then attach.....? Any pictures if you didn't use the rails.

thanks,

11. Aug 8, 2011 at 8:07 AM
    bigred_d

Member:
    First Name:
    Darren
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    10 DC V6 TRD
    Did you read my original post?

12. Sep 29, 2011 at 8:09 AM
    yvo811

yvo811 Member

Member:
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4
    I'm thinking of getting the Extang but I'm worried that my bed extender will be in the way of the rear clamps. Do they sit pretty flush against the side of the truck? How far from the tailgate are the clamps located?

13. Sep 30, 2011 at 6:04 AM
    bigred_d

Member:
    First Name:
    Darren
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    10 DC V6 TRD
    Have a look at the 3rd picture I posted in the first post.

It is very close to the end of the rail and I had to remove the small cap. It does stick out on a bit of an angle too.

;D

14. Dec 2, 2011 at 8:13 AM
    ILikeTacosToo

ILikeTacosToo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC 4X4 TRD Off Road
    ARB front locker, alpine nav, image dynamics i5800, Polk audio front rear and subs, TOYTEC 3 inch coilovers wiht AAL, awesomest driver ever!
    Just wanted to say thanks for the post. I got my Tonneau yesterday and tried with the brackets they provided to no avail. the freakin wing nut wouldn't turn because it was too close to the bracket. I ended up installing exactly like you did and honestly i think that is how they should all be done!
    Thanks again! Cheers.

15. Dec 3, 2011 at 10:41 PM
    bigred_d

Member:
    First Name:
    Darren
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    10 DC V6 TRD
    Awesome. Glad this thread has helped a few people.

I actually don't have my tonneau anymore and now I have a Leer canopy.

;D

16. Jan 2, 2012 at 1:20 PM
    jkcb2011

jkcb2011 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    I have had this cover for just over a year now and love it's design, durability and look. Unfortunately, today when I took it off to take a load to the dump in the back of the truck, a piece of it broke off (due to ice and snow I am certain). I am not even sure what the name of the part is, as it is at the end of one of the slide rails and is not normally supposed to be removed. See pic, I have crazy glued it back on to see if it holds.

Regardless, I will be calling Extang Canada tomorrow to determine what the warranty period is and/or any other options.

[​IMG]

17. Jan 25, 2012 at 8:12 PM
    2011whitetaco

2011whitetaco Active Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 White SR5
    My friend has this cover and to solve the bracket issue we turned the aluminum block sideways and trimmed it down to fit really snugly in the factory rail. I would just do exactly what you did and throw the damn brackets in the trash. Thanks for the tip; if I buy one I'm doing just what you did!

18. Feb 5, 2012 at 10:22 AM
    waterbrook

waterbrook Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pre SR5
    Excellent post, bigred_d! This helped a great deal in installing the Extang SolidFold on my 2012. Installed in just a few minutes. I put it on just as you described.

I had to remove the rear end caps from the bed rail for the rear cover clamps to have enough clearance (no big deal). Also, the foam seal on the tailgate of the cover does not flex back out after the tailgate is closed, which might make it easier for water to ingress. Since I just installed today, I'll have to wait and see about leaks, but it appears to have a good seal all around.

Mitch

19. Oct 14, 2012 at 6:04 PM
    DaveLy

DaveLy Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 V6 Prerunner SR5
    I have a motorcycle that ill frequently be xporting.

Is the cover pretty easy to remove. Also, how heavy is it?

I'm stuck between this and the Peragon covers

20. Oct 14, 2012 at 6:11 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    It's very easy to remove and it weighs about 40 pounds. Unscrew two clamps and the two pull down latches. Takes all of a minute or two.

Products Discussed in

To Top