1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Extang Express Tonneau review

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by OldDog, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Sep 1, 2010 at 11:09 AM
    OldDog

OldDog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    w.mass
    Vehicle:
    2010 reg cab 4X4
    I just installed a Extang Express Tonneau cover on my 2010 Tacoma. Cover was easy to install and fit well. The only thing I don't like are the two weather rubber flaps on the Express ( made for a 2010 Tacoma). One on the front towards the cab,and the one on the tailgate end.
    . The tailgate and front lip of the bed are lower then the sides on the 2010 Tacoma .So I'm guessing that's why they put them on ( to stop water leaking in).
    If they hang outside ( which is the way I was told by Extang to install it) it takes away from the looks of the cover and real doesn't seal that well on the corners of the front rubber flap as shown in the picture.
    I think the hollow rubber seals ( like they used on the Trifecta ) used on the front and back would be a much better seal and look allot cleaner.
    It fits nice , but I would have gone with the Trifecta for it's cleaner looks.

lou 108.jpg
    lou 109.jpg

2. Sep 1, 2010 at 3:37 PM
    OldDog

Member:
    w.mass
    Vehicle:
    2010 reg cab 4X4
    Pic of rear
    lou.jpg

3. Sep 8, 2010 at 5:08 AM
    lpr5006

lpr5006 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Super White TRD
    I just installed an Extang Express tonneau cover on my 2009 DC Short Bed. It installed very easily and looks pretty nice but I get a very loud vibration noise from the cover fluttering when driving. I have a few ideas of how to remedy this but was wondering if you had experienced the same annoyance. Any thoughts?

4. Sep 10, 2010 at 2:13 AM
    OldDog

Member:
    w.mass
    Vehicle:
    2010 reg cab 4X4

I do get some cover fluttering around 50 mph and up . I'm not sure if its the rubber front seal , or the tie down clips. But what ever it is, it doesn't make me happy . I think they could have come up with a better way to seal the front and back of the cover. I wouldn't recommend the cover to anyone how would want to install it on a Tacoma.

5. Sep 13, 2010 at 9:44 AM
    lpr5006

lpr5006 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Super White TRD
    Over the weekend I went to Lowes and picked up a roll of 1" adhesive backed foam weatherstripping and applied it to the top of the bows and the top of the front rail where the cover attaches. I did this because I had a hunch that the cover fluttering and hitting the metal rail and bows was causing the very irritating noise. I havn't heard the noise yet but I will monitor it this week and report back.

6. Sep 13, 2010 at 8:10 PM
    OldDog

Member:
    w.mass
    Vehicle:
    2010 reg cab 4X4
    Let us know how it works out. Any pic's

7. Sep 16, 2010 at 1:39 PM
    lpr5006

lpr5006 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Super White TRD
    The weatherstripping didn't completely solve the problem :(. I still get some serious noise at high speed. I did however call Extang to complain and they have agreed to send me MORE weatherstripping to fill the huge gap between the front rail and the top of the front of the bed. I am guessing this won't be the total solution either but we will see. I will get pictures of whatever finally works. (possibly a giant box sending it back to Extang)

8. Sep 16, 2010 at 4:04 PM
    K Williams

K Williams Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road V6 MT
    Banks Monster Exhaust URD Stage II Clutch
    I'm planning on buying the Solid Fold Tonneau. Anyone here have one? How do you like it?

9. Sep 17, 2010 at 2:16 AM
    OldDog

Member:
    w.mass
    Vehicle:
    2010 reg cab 4X4
    Looks like I'll be giving them a call also, Not happy with it . I still think
    the hollow rubber seals ( like they used on the Trifecta ) used on the front and back would be a much better seal .

Products Discussed in

To Top