1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mobil 1 Synthetic 15k Miles

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by I Liquid I, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Mar 5, 2011 at 1:20 PM
    Watari06V6

Watari06V6 Faster than a speeding ticket

Member:
    Wounded Knee
    Vehicle:
    TRD-V6-SR5-06

:amen:

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."

2. Mar 6, 2011 at 4:26 AM
    BartStar

BartStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    I am a firm believer that if the drainned oil comes out looking black and dirty then thats good, its telling me that the oil is doing its job and keeping my internal engine clean!
    I get worried if the oil comes out looking clean.

another thing to think about:
    everytime you change your oil you're drainning the oil filter so when you first start up the engine the engine is staving for oil for the first 5-10 seconds and that short time of the engine parts running without oil is causing damage, so if you do wait for the 15K oil change then it might be better than worse.
    In my opnion a good grade of FULL synthetic will last 50K miles!

BUT!!!! THE OIL FILTER WON'T

The Tacoma V6 has the oil filter base mounted to the top of the engine so you can't fill up the new oil filter with new oil before you install it, but on other vehicles with a lower mounted upside down oil filter (GM Engines) I always fill up the new oil filter with clean oil before installing so when you first start it up, you have instant oil pressure!

3. Mar 6, 2011 at 5:51 AM
    xpert1111

xpert1111 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central NJ
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB Sport
    Do they still make blends? Have not seen blends on store shelves in about a year.

4. Mar 6, 2011 at 6:06 AM
    xpert1111

xpert1111 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central NJ
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB Sport
    I see this a lot. "Works well" when it comes to motor oil. How does anyone know its working well??? What exactly is this based on? If you used non synthetic would' t that "work well" too? Curious not busting chops here.

5. Mar 6, 2011 at 6:12 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    I agree. I use the exact same oil although I still change it every 5k along with a new mobil 1 filter

6. Mar 6, 2011 at 6:17 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    Providing you are using synthetic oil, if your oil is comming out black and dirty possibly you waited a little long to change it. It should come out a nice dark color and not loaded up with grit. Also all internal workings are coated with oil even after you drain everything so the 5 to 10 seconds on startup does absolutly no damage at all.

7. Mar 9, 2011 at 4:20 PM
    Big O

Big O Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Dallas , Texas
    Vehicle:
    ' 06 X Runner ( Red )
    K & N Air Filter , Magnaflow Muffler , Full Synthetic Oil R/P ,block,trans & differencial , New LED taillights, TRD Short Shifter, a Boulekos Sprint Booster !
    Just a couple comments .

When one changing one's oil , most of us run it until it's good & warm.
    Leaving a good coating of oil on all moveing parts. It's not starved .
    If that was the case , the moter would be in danger every morning after the oil has ran down over night.

I just changed the oil filter on my '06 v-6 this weekend & the oil lost was so small that I didn't have to add any afterwards . The way the filter is mounted , it is empthy on every start . What oil pressure problem ?

Big O

8. Mar 10, 2011 at 9:54 PM
    krudawg

krudawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Goodyear, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner V6 SR5
    Back in the early 70's I bought new a '72 240Z. I ran Valvoline 30 Weight Detergent Oil. I changed the oil myself every 3000 miles plus or minus 500 miles. In the early 80's, my Z-CAR had about 160,000. I decided to pull the engine out and rebuild it. There was not one bit of sludge in the engine anywhere. The inside looked very clean. I had a machine shop grind the valves and do a clean-up bore in the cyl's even though cylinder taper was minimal. I had the engine "balanced" and put the thing back together. I believe that all oil is good if it is SAE approved -Society of Automotive Engineers. You can pay more for oil but you can't get better oil. Now there is Synthetic Oil and it IS a better oil because it has superior dispersant qualities and it also cost more. For me, in my 06 PreRunner, frequent oil changes with regular old 5-30W oil will keep the engine wear to a minimum and keep the engine running smooth for at least 200k and then I'll trade it in for another one.

9. Mar 10, 2011 at 10:03 PM
    krudawg

krudawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Goodyear, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner V6 SR5
    >>The Tacoma V6 has the oil filter base mounted to the top of the engine so you can't fill up the new oil filter with new oil before you install it, but on other vehicles with a lower mounted upside down oil filter (GM Engines) I always fill up the new oil filter with clean oil before installing so when you first start it up, you have instant oil pressure! <<

And all this time I thought the oil pump pumped oil directly from a pick-up located in the bottom of the oil pan AND then after going through the engine it was pumped through the filter back to the oil pan....silly me

Products Discussed in

To Top