LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Curt Hitch

Old 10-15-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
greatfuldead is on a distinguished road

greatfuldead's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down Curt Hitch

I bought a new Curt Hitch easy bolt on 45min job, No, I battled it for two hrs. Two holes don't line up and the end flanges are tight in front and loose at the rear. I should have bought a Reese.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
Sploder Dude
Teh Dubya has a spectacular aura aboutTeh Dubya has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: EOD
Name: Wade
Teh Dubya's Tacoma Gallery
I recently purchased a curt hitch as well. The holes on mine were placed correctly, but the two arms were bowed in slightly (~2cm) so I had to but some (a lot actually, thought i was gonna blow a gasket) GRR on it to spread 'em a bit.

Don't know about the flanges though, i don't think mine has flanges. (Jeep Lib)
Old 10-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I'd be kinda scared to hook up a trailer to a hitch that obviously wasn't made very well... If the mounting points weren't correct, who knows what other corners were cut when that thing was made.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
Sploder Dude
Teh Dubya has a spectacular aura aboutTeh Dubya has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: EOD
Name: Wade
Teh Dubya's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I'd be kinda scared to hook up a trailer to a hitch that obviously wasn't made very well... If the mounting points weren't correct, who knows what other corners were cut when that thing was made.
Agreed.

Even though the arms were bowed slightly on my receiver, there is a good chance it happened in transit, or at the warehouse, since it is a fairly large/heavy item in a large box, with no padding or braces. All the welds looked good and everything bolted in tight so i left it.

In greatfuldead's situation though, with things being loose or not fitting, a return/refund would be in order.

I also wouldn't discount a company over a single item. Every company produces lemons, or even occasionally ships the wrong part.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
you should call the company to make them aware of the issue.
x2, and I wouldn't tow with that thing. If the hitch doesn't fit tight, the mounting bolts are supporting more weight then they normally should. Needless to say, the mounting bolts are not as strong as the steel assembly, creating a weak link and a point of failure. Hopefully you can return that thing and get either a new one or another brand.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
TheEh-Team.ca
buck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shed
buck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatfuldead View Post
I bought a new Curt Hitch easy bolt on 45min job, No, I battled it for two hrs. Two holes don't line up and the end flanges are tight in front and loose at the rear. I should have bought a Reese.
Same deal here. One of the mounting holes on either had to be opened up. It was the larges hole, yet it was still off.

There was also a gap between the hitch mount and frame. The hitch didn't sit flush on both frame rails.

The Curt looks identical to Reese. I'm sure they're all made in the same off-shore factory.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #9
greatfuldead is on a distinguished road

greatfuldead's Tacoma Gallery
Making it fit

I took a big hammer stood on the hitch and whacked the end plates twice toward the rear where the gaps were,then I hit the front of the plates outward where it was too tight. Fits great, after I took my dremel and fixed the mounting holes. It also took double spacers where the bumper bolts on.It's actually very well made, Its a shame, they didn't use a proper jig when it was welded up.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #10
samsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant future

Name: George
samsung's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatfuldead View Post
and not to mention the paint peels off very easily.

Products Discussed in this Thread