Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

New Falken Wild Peak Tire reviews and suggestions.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:47 AM   #1
ecr6cyl10 is a glorious beacon of lightecr6cyl10 is a glorious beacon of lightecr6cyl10 is a glorious beacon of lightecr6cyl10 is a glorious beacon of lightecr6cyl10 is a glorious beacon of lightecr6cyl10 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Eddy
ecr6cyl10's Tacoma Gallery
New Falken Wild Peak Tire reviews and suggestions.

Has anyone use these new Falken Wild Peak Tires? Do you know how well they work in sand and desert driving?
Old 12-09-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
AG87BlkLX is on a distinguished road

Name: Andy
AG87BlkLX's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a review by Travis at Discount Tire. I know it's a bunch of Jeeps but the review should answer some questions.

Falken Wild Peak AT

Many of you have been asking about Falken's new AT. How good are they? How strong are their sidewalls? How do they rate in sand, dirt, gravel, rocks, mud, and on the highway? After abusing this tire for over 1000 off-road miles at the Jk-Experience last week, here's what I can show and tell from my first hand experience.

* * Road * * * * * Dirt * * * * * * Gravel * * * * * * Rock * * * * * Mud * * * * * Sand * * *
You name it, we did it. From low country to the high tundra we pushed this tire as hard as we could. We covered paved roads, dirt, gravel, rocks, Mud and Sand.

On the Highway these tires were smooth and quiet. We ran them at 30psi at highway speeds and with the radio on we had no trouble holding a conversation or hearing the CB. They tracked straight and cornering was predictable. Here's a quick video clip. The mic on the phone is not the best but the passenger window is down.

Windows down: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/9406864

On dirt and gravel roads they tore it up. At times reaching 50+mph the Wild Peak held its tracks and stayed steady. Some days we were covering some serious miles on dirt and gravel roads and this tire didn't complain once. Aside from normal wear, I expected to see chunking or cuts in the tread after these sprints but I couldn't find them. From what I have seen Falken has a winning rubber formula in these.

Dirt Road Video Clip: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/9548972

On slick rock and boulders as well as sharp rocks, these tires were TUFF! The 3ply sidewall flexed hard while the tread grabbed and pulled us up over boulders and through jagged rocks. At times we found ourselves in pinched situations where almost all the vehicles weight was on the tires sidewall, it only seemed to hold stronger as we took our time maneuvering through the obstacle. At other times in tight corners against tall jagged rocks, the sidewall literally redirected our fully loaded 4dr Rubicon without scarring or puncture.

When it came to mud, we knew it would be a challenge. No AT is built for mud but we wanted to see how the Wild peak would do anyway. To our surprise, in our mud conditions, it did pretty well. Sure, if we stopped in the wrong place or didn't have enough momentum we would have been in knee deep mud but with the peddle to the floor and some smart steering we were able to lap around a few others with MT's that were stuck. Did they cake up with mud? Yep, so did the KM2, the MTR with Kevlar, the Mud Grappler and the Krawler. Here's a little video from the mud. If you know you're in mud a lot, this tire is probably not the best for you but for moderate mud that you find along the trail it may not a bad choice.

Mud Video Clip: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/9488314

40" MT's stuck in the mud

Mud on the trail:

Our last test was the sand. With the air pressure down the Idaho Dunes were no match for the Wild Peak. We climbed some of the tallest dunes we could find and we often found our selves accelerating up them. If we parked on the dunes wrong or waited to long to turn down a dune would we get stuck? Yeah sure we would, but no tire can compensate for lack of smart driving.

Video clips from in the sand:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/9548790
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/9548754

All and all I give this tire two big thumbs up. The Off-road category is new to Falken Tire and they are headed full speed in the right direction. Its not often that you see such a successful product right out of the gate. I am more and more interested to see what comes from Falken Tire next in the off-road category.

For more information on this tire please stop in to your Local Discount Tire, America's Tire or call Discount Tire Direct @ 1.888.459.4080.

You can also find more information from your computer at home at www.tires.com or www.discounttiredirect.com.

-Travis
Discount Tire Co.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the review

I am currently looking into these... Anyone put them on recently? Input? It's down to the N. Terra Graplers or the F. Wild Peaks for me and I'm leaning towards these.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice report and field work.

These Asian tire companies are doing their homework...

I did consider them... but went with the Hankook Dynapro ATMs... and they are passing all my tests, so far with an A+!
Old 08-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
BlackHillsTacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
BlackHillsTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I'll use these tires until i die. Best A/T on the market. Beautiful tire
Old 08-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Travis sells these tires and while his review is very thorough it sounds exactly like what a 'salesman' would say.

Comments like the one below make me say Hmmmmmm....

I know no Jeep that is doing 50mph off road and tracks strait and steady so IMO I would take his words with a grain of salt just like any other person who is PAID to sell a product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG87BlkLX View Post
On dirt and gravel roads they tore it up. At times reaching 50+mph the Wild Peak held its tracks and stayed steady.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
Fischman is on a distinguished road
Fischman's Tacoma Gallery
when it comes time to replace my street tires, those are the ones I'm getting. they look aggressive enough to do most off roading, and they're far better priced than anything else close to it.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
toyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
toyodajeff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischman View Post
when it comes time to replace my street tires, those are the ones I'm getting. they look aggressive enough to do most off roading, and they're far better priced than anything else close to it.
When those tires get halfway wore out they look like highway tires not a/t's
Old 03-24-2013, 04:58 AM   #11
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
I had Wild Peaks on my Tundra, loved them. Did well everywhere I took them, even in the mud. Put like 35 K miles on them before I traded for the Tacoma, were holding up well on that heavy truck. Quiet, rode well for an E rated tire, looked good too. Every one thought they were 35's, but were only 33's
Old 03-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #12
hotrod45 is on a distinguished road
Army: medic 5501 hospital
Name: paul
hotrod45's Tacoma Gallery
Smile wild peaks

what kind of jing do you have to give up for a set?
Old 04-05-2014, 07:40 AM   #13
2006 Tacoma TRD Sport XSP
mnerren is on a distinguished road

Army: US Army 1985-88
mnerren's Tacoma Gallery
I just put these on my GF's Ford F-150, she never goes off road but rides 33 on Dick Cepek wheels, got to look cool. So far she likes them, said they were too quiet for her, which I thought was funny. She had Mickey T's before. She's a little bit country, that's what I like about her, until I piss her off, then it's not pretty. I got them for a good price at Discount Tire, I think they are discontinuing this model Wild Peak AT for the AT2 model, not sure, but that's what it looks like. I'm sure they will work good for her, she drives on the beach and the road only. No serious off road riding any more since she move to the big city.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:53 AM   #14
123erinnc is on a distinguished road

Name: Erinn
123erinnc's Tacoma Gallery
I've had these tires on my Ranger for awhile now, they've been holding up fairly well. I regularly drive them through the sand in Borrego as well as worn out abused forest service roads in SoCal.

They look aggressive and are quiet on the street, got them for a great price too!