1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Falken Wild Peak Tire reviews and suggestions.

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by ecr6cyl10, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Nov 13, 2010 at 7:47 AM
    ecr6cyl10

ecr6cyl10 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    10 Prerunner Dble Cab Offorad
    Defiant Light bar with 12" LED light bar and 2 Rigid dually floods. 3" Icon lift in the front with TC UCA's and 1.5" add a leaf in the rear [url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/198098/cat/500][img]http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/data/500/medium/My_Truck54.jpg[/img][/url]
    Has anyone use these new Falken Wild Peak Tires? Do you know how well they work in sand and desert driving?

2. Dec 9, 2010 at 2:23 PM
    AG87BlkLX

AG87BlkLX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Greenbrier, TN
    Here is a review by Travis at Discount Tire. I know it's a bunch of Jeeps but the review should answer some questions.

Falken Wild Peak AT
    [​IMG]

Many of you have been asking about Falken's new AT. How good are they? How strong are their sidewalls? How do they rate in sand, dirt, gravel, rocks, mud, and on the highway? After abusing this tire for over 1000 off-road miles at the Jk-Experience last week, here's what I can show and tell from my first hand experience.

RockyMountain_9e5720e399d2d64744cd974e8591781d3f922e4d.jpg

* * Road * * * * * Dirt * * * * * * Gravel * * * * * * Rock * * * * * Mud * * * * * Sand * * *
    You name it, we did it. From low country to the high tundra we pushed this tire as hard as we could. We covered paved roads, dirt, gravel, rocks, Mud and Sand.

On the Highway these tires were smooth and quiet. We ran them at 30psi at highway speeds and with the radio on we had no trouble holding a conversation or hearing the CB. They tracked straight and cornering was predictable. Here's a quick video clip. The mic on the phone is not the best but the passenger window is down.

Windows down: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/9406864

On dirt and gravel roads they tore it up. At times reaching 50+mph the Wild Peak held its tracks and stayed steady. Some days we were covering some serious miles on dirt and gravel roads and this tire didn't complain once. Aside from normal wear, I expected to see chunking or cuts in the tread after these sprints but I couldn't find them. From what I have seen Falken has a winning rubber formula in these.

Dirt Road Video Clip: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/9548972
    [​IMG]

On slick rock and boulders as well as sharp rocks, these tires were TUFF! The 3ply sidewall flexed hard while the tread grabbed and pulled us up over boulders and through jagged rocks. At times we found ourselves in pinched situations where almost all the vehicles weight was on the tires sidewall, it only seemed to hold stronger as we took our time maneuvering through the obstacle. At other times in tight corners against tall jagged rocks, the sidewall literally redirected our fully loaded 4dr Rubicon without scarring or puncture.

[​IMG]

When it came to mud, we knew it would be a challenge. No AT is built for mud but we wanted to see how the Wild peak would do anyway. To our surprise, in our mud conditions, it did pretty well. Sure, if we stopped in the wrong place or didn't have enough momentum we would have been in knee deep mud but with the peddle to the floor and some smart steering we were able to lap around a few others with MT's that were stuck. Did they cake up with mud? Yep, so did the KM2, the MTR with Kevlar, the Mud Grappler and the Krawler. Here's a little video from the mud. If you know you're in mud a lot, this tire is probably not the best for you but for moderate mud that you find along the trail it may not a bad choice.

Mud Video Clip: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/9488314

40" MT's stuck in the mud
    [​IMG]

Mud on the trail:
    [​IMG]

Our last test was the sand. With the air pressure down the Idaho Dunes were no match for the Wild Peak. We climbed some of the tallest dunes we could find and we often found our selves accelerating up them. If we parked on the dunes wrong or waited to long to turn down a dune would we get stuck? Yeah sure we would, but no tire can compensate for lack of smart driving.

Video clips from in the sand:
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/9548790
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/9548754

[​IMG]

All and all I give this tire two big thumbs up. The Off-road category is new to Falken Tire and they are headed full speed in the right direction. Its not often that you see such a successful product right out of the gate. I am more and more interested to see what comes from Falken Tire next in the off-road category.

For more information on this tire please stop in to your Local Discount Tire, America's Tire or call Discount Tire Direct @ 1.888.459.4080.

You can also find more information from your computer at home at www.tires.com or www.discounttiredirect.com.

-Travis
    Discount Tire Co.

3. Mar 9, 2011 at 5:21 PM
    MY50cal

MY50cal ---- Tread Lightly ---- Leave No Trace

Member:
    First Name:
    Mojo
    Camden County, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 PM RC / 05 SWB AC (RIP)
    Yep.
    Thanks for the review :thumbsup:

I am currently looking into these... Anyone put them on recently? Input? It's down to the N. Terra Graplers or the F. Wild Peaks for me and I'm leaning towards these.

4. Mar 9, 2011 at 7:03 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Very nice report and field work.

These Asian tire companies are doing their homework...

I did consider them... but went with the Hankook Dynapro ATMs... and they are passing all my tests, so far with an A+!

5. Apr 24, 2011 at 9:41 AM
    ecr6cyl10

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Defiant Light bar with 12" LED light bar and 2 Rigid dually floods. 3" Icon lift in the front with TC UCA's and 1.5" add a leaf in the rear [url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/198098/cat/500][img]http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/data/500/medium/My_Truck54.jpg[/img][/url]
  6. Apr 24, 2011 at 8:26 PM
    ecr6cyl10

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Falken Wild Peaks worked great in Moab with no problems at all for a hole week.

7. Aug 15, 2012 at 9:15 AM
    BlackHillsTacoma

BlackHillsTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Black Hills, South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access Cab 6 Speed. All Custom Work.
    Custom bumpers, PreRunner style liftkit, Tinted tail lights, New headlight housings, HID kit, 4 Hella roof lights, 2 PIAA bumper lights, Custom roof basket, Custom rock sliders Softopper, Deckplate Mod, 13% tint all around, 2 JL 10" subs, Custom Box
    I'll use these tires until i die. Best A/T on the market. Beautiful tire

8. Aug 15, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Travis sells these tires and while his review is very thorough it sounds exactly like what a 'salesman' would say.

Comments like the one below make me say Hmmmmmm....

I know no Jeep that is doing 50mph off road and tracks strait and steady so IMO I would take his words with a grain of salt just like any other person who is PAID to sell a product.

9. Feb 27, 2013 at 4:49 PM
    Fischman

Fischman New Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD sport package
    when it comes time to replace my street tires, those are the ones I'm getting. they look aggressive enough to do most off roading, and they're far better priced than anything else close to it.

10. Mar 12, 2013 at 7:39 PM
    toyodajeff

toyodajeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Vehicle:
    06 reg cab sr5
    When those tires get halfway wore out they look like highway tires not a/t's

11. Mar 24, 2013 at 4:58 AM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle
    I had Wild Peaks on my Tundra, loved them. Did well everywhere I took them, even in the mud. Put like 35 K miles on them before I traded for the Tacoma, were holding up well on that heavy truck. Quiet, rode well for an E rated tire, looked good too. Every one thought they were 35's, but were only 33's

12. Mar 24, 2013 at 7:41 AM
    hotrod45

hotrod45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    sarasota fl
    Vehicle:
    16 sr 5 access cab
    what kind of jing do you have to give up for a set?

13. Apr 5, 2014 at 7:40 AM
    mnerren

mnerren 2006 Tacoma TRD Sport XSP

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab
    I just put these on my GF's Ford F-150, she never goes off road but rides 33 on Dick Cepek wheels, got to look cool. So far she likes them, said they were too quiet for her, which I thought was funny. She had Mickey T's before. She's a little bit country, that's what I like about her, until I piss her off, then it's not pretty. I got them for a good price at Discount Tire, I think they are discontinuing this model Wild Peak AT for the AT2 model, not sure, but that's what it looks like. I'm sure they will work good for her, she drives on the beach and the road only. No serious off road riding any more since she move to the big city.

14. Apr 25, 2014 at 3:53 AM
    123erinnc

123erinnc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erinn
    Lake Arrowhead, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Double Cab Long Bed 4x4 TRD
    Weathertech, Wet Okoles, OME 887, Nitrochargers, LR UCA...
    I've had these tires on my Ranger for awhile now, they've been holding up fairly well. I regularly drive them through the sand in Borrego as well as worn out abused forest service roads in SoCal.

They look aggressive and are quiet on the street, got them for a great price too!

Products Discussed in

To Top