LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Bed Cover that is easy to install and remove

Old 12-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
mountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stefan
mountainprimat2's Tacoma Gallery
Bed Cover that is easy to install and remove

So I'm in the market for a bed cover that can be easily installed and removed based on the seasons. The Vermont snow needs to stay out of the bed, while I need to be able to hang my surfboard and bike off the back of the tail gate in the summer. Any suggestions and product ideas that would suit my needs?

Thanks
Old 12-06-2010, 10:04 PM   #3
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
My top deck is a snap to remove, but does require two people. A soft cover will be the easiest to store though. I prefer the hard cover for the security.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
MMOCGuy has a spectacular aura aboutMMOCGuy has a spectacular aura about
Navy: Petty Office 2nd
Name: Norm
MMOCGuy's Tacoma Gallery
I have an Extang Full Tilt on both of my pickups and I love it. The bed can be accessed in 3 ways.

The cover can be lifted (It is supported on struts) to load/unload the bed if the cargo is low enough to be covered by the tonneau when in motion.

The tonneau can be unsnapped and rolled forward to allow the bows and rear cross rail to be easily removed giving full access to the bed for bigger loads.

The entire cover can be removed/installed in tact by one person in about 30 seconds.

I have had one on my 2009 Tacoma Access Cab for about a year. I use the truck for everything including towing a travel trailer. The cover holds up well and has not stretched. I also have a 1966 Chevy 1/2ton show truck and I have an Extang Full Tilt on it.

The only downside is that the cover comes disassembled and it takes a bit of time to assemble everything properly. The instructions are good and easy to follow except for attaching the tonneau to the front rail. That is a bit tricky and I screwed up on both of mine until I finally figured it out (With my wife's help !!). The entire front of the tonneau fits into the grove on the front rail and, once you get that figured out, it slides in very easily.

Here is a link:
http://extang.com/docs/fulltilt.html

If I ever change pickups, I would definitely use another Extang Full Tilt on it. Also, Extang customer service is great to work with.

Hope this helps.

Norm.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
Do you want soft or hard?

I have the Access Roll-up cover and it is permenately installed. But I can roll or unroll it in about 5 seconds flat. It stays unrolled all winter long to keep the snow out of my bed - and I keep my snowboard and gear underneath. In the summer, it usually stays rolled up because I haul my dirtbike a lot. Paid $340.

There is a cover under there somewhere...

Rolled up...
Old 12-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the cheap Lund peel n seal from Autoanything and was very happy with it (just sold it cause I bought a shell). It was $225 new, rolls up quickly and supports the weight of snow without any issues (I'm also in NE). The undercovers are nice if its in your budget, just giving you a cheaper alternative that's still very functional.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
chacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Travis
chacotaco's Tacoma Gallery
I had an Extang Trifecta that was awesome. Countless numbers of times I have removed it, left it in someones house, helped them haul something large, and then thrown it back on.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #9
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I have an Extang soft trifold too ^^^
It goes on and off the truck bed very easily by folding up or unfolding.
Attaches to 4 mounting pts. that slide into the factory side rail thingys.
It was the first mod bought and has lasted through many VT snowstorms over the last 3+ yrs.
Keeps stuff in the bed dry & will fold up even on the coldest of days.
I would buy another one.
Just so you know though, my trifold does not look as good as say the Access roll up covers because of the hinge mechanisms. The cover sits on the bed rails & its side appear a little bumpy. This doesn't make the cover leak or anything but wanted to let you know that.
I do not mind the look, its function works & I can lift & take it off the truck myself which was impt for me.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:40 PM   #10
jaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jaw154's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post
Do you want soft or hard?

I have the Access Roll-up cover and it is permenately installed. But I can roll or unroll it in about 5 seconds flat. It stays unrolled all winter long to keep the snow out of my bed - and I keep my snowboard and gear underneath. In the summer, it usually stays rolled up because I haul my dirtbike a lot. Paid $340.

There is a cover under there somewhere...

Rolled up...
Hey i am in the market for a cover, How water tight is that?
Old 12-09-2010, 05:38 AM   #12
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the Armor Lid. Same design as the undercover but cheaper. I can take it off in a couple of minutes, it is light enough to lift, but too big to handle by yourself. I've done it by myself once, but I won't do it again.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:14 AM   #13
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw154 View Post
Hey i am in the market for a cover, How water tight is that?
It's pretty watertight but not perfect. Only during really hard rains while driving do I see a trickle of water down the bed. But it's usually only a drop or two and stays between the ridges that run down the bed. We use the truck on vacation trips and put our suitcases and food back there. I've never had a problem.

I'm also not sure I have the seal correctly installed on the front rail. Water hasn't been an issue so I don't see the need to fiddle with it.

Having only ever had this cover...I have to say that I am EXTREMELY satisfied. I can still use my rails and it looks very clean. I can roll or unroll in under 5 seconds.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #15
Firenailer is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Firenailer's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone tried the Extang Trifecta with the Canvas Tarp yet and how does it look and work? Any improvement over the vinyl?
Old 01-24-2011, 05:51 AM   #16
insulator08 is on a distinguished road
Name: gener
insulator08's Tacoma Gallery
undercover, have it and really like
Old 01-24-2011, 06:10 AM   #17
maestroz2 is on a distinguished road

Name: Dave
maestroz2's Tacoma Gallery
Is second the Access Roll up cover. I have the LE version

In the winter I keep it closed and i keep all my snowboard gear in it and in the summer i usually keep it open for bikes.

Nice thing is i have the rocky mounts for my mountain/road bikes and you can still use them with the cover rolled up.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #18
bass turds

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestroz2 View Post
Is second the Access Roll up cover. I have the LE version

In the winter I keep it closed and i keep all my snowboard gear in it and in the summer i usually keep it open for bikes.

Nice thing is i have the rocky mounts for my mountain/road bikes and you can still use them with the cover rolled up.
What are the rocky mounts?

I had to design a spacer that I put at the head of my bed. It prevents my dirt bike wheel from crushing the rolled up Access Cover. It works well and I am rather surprised by my ingenuity! It also spreads the pressure across the whole front instead of at the point of contact.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #19
maestroz2 is on a distinguished road

Name: Dave
maestroz2's Tacoma Gallery
when carrying pedal bikes you can take the front wheels off and bolt them to the rocky mounts which mount in the bed channels.

This keeps the bikes upright so you do not mess up shifters/gears and also secures them so bikes dont roll around.

They also lock which is a nice feature.

search them youll see.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #20
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
i would get a soft roll or or trifold. a hard cover is heavy and you wont be able to get it on/off without help

Products Discussed in this Thread