1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Keyport review...

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by G.T., Dec 15, 2010.

1. Dec 15, 2010 at 11:07 AM
    G.T.

G.T. [OP] Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    I have to preface this review with the admission that I am a bit of a gadget junkie and am also quite particular about my gadgets as well.

A few years ago some tech sites boasted about a not yet to market product called the Keyport. It seemed like vaporware as nothing ever became of it in the few months after the news of it erupted onto the web which didn't appease the "if it's on the internet now then I want it now" crowd. Thankfully the minds behind the Keyport concept didn't give up and they finally made the product and have begun selling it.

I purchased my Keyport in the latest color edition of black with the "chipped auto bundle" since I am driving a second generation Tacoma with the transponder chip built into the key. I printed out the key ID PDF file, filled it out, laid the keys I wanted to add to my Keyport onto it and snapped the pictures of it for their locksmiths to review to ensure that when they shipped my Keyport to me the blade blanks would work properly in the locks required. The only thing I had to do above what purchasers of the standard bundle Keyport customers do is provide one of my chipped keys for direct modification into the new key and into the auto chip blade that occupies one of the blade slots. This limits my overall maximum number of actual keys inside the Keyport to five as the sixth slot is occupied by the transponder chip blade.

Once I received the Keyport with the blank blades I simply paired the blanks to the original keys and took them to a local locksmith for cutting. The locksmith was very impressed with the Keyport and stated multiple times that it was the best engineered device of its kind that he had every handled. Impressed me as he has been in the locksmith industry for over twenty years.

Once home the newly cut key blades simply slide in with the colored nodes pressed into them easily by hand that allow for the deploying of the desired key. The keys are locked back in the retracted position and into the deployed position by the nodes which means you don't have to hold the desired key node to keep it from retracting from resistance from the lock. With the nodes locking the keys in place while retracted there is no concern of keys sticking out to tear pocket fabric or poke you in the leg or worse when you sit down.

This is the Keyport with the factory Tacoma remote entry fob. I have my Tacoma key, the transponder blade, a PO Box key, and three house keys inside the Keyport. The light colored stick is a Tritium key fob that glows continuously for at least ten years. If you have tritium in your watches, compasses, or weapon sights then you are familiar with the material already. Makes dropping my keys in the dark less embarasing as I can find them much faster.

The small silver hook is a pocket dangler that keeps my keys from settling into the bottom of my pocket making that uncomfortable knot in the bottom of my pocket.
    [​IMG]
    This is the Tacoma key in the deployed position.
    [​IMG]
    This is what the transponder blade looks like. No need to actually deploy it however.
    [​IMG]
    Lowest light image I could take with my phone that showed some of the glowing properties of the tritium fob that I attached.
    [​IMG]

Links:
    Keyport.com
    Merkava II Tritium key fobs
    TEC Accessories P-7 Suspension Clip

2. Mar 24, 2011 at 12:44 PM
    BRYLONATOR

BRYLONATOR Building 06 Suburban K2500 with LBZ D-max and ZF6!

Member:
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Chillin in a 120!
    So I would like to ask....how well has it performed thus far? Also...will it work with two different transponder (chipped) keys?

3. Mar 24, 2011 at 2:57 PM
    G.T.

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    To date, now have three of them in the house. The Tacoma fob, one for my "play car," and another one for my wife's car. Quite a few friends of mine have ordered theirs now that they have seen ours in person. As to having multiple transponder keys in the Keyport you could do it but keep in mind that the transponder chip requires its own blade which means you will occupy four of the slots with the keys and the chips for the two cars. If you only need two slots for remaining keys then your set.

If you don't need the extra slots for keys they planned on releasing a USB drive, a small light, and even a bottle opener that would occupy the available slots. I really like the Keyport and have no hesitations recommending them to others.

4. Mar 24, 2011 at 3:01 PM
    BRYLONATOR

BRYLONATOR Building 06 Suburban K2500 with LBZ D-max and ZF6!

Member:
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Chillin in a 120!
    I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate that information! You summed it all up perfectly and addressed every concern!

5. Jul 11, 2011 at 11:25 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    Palehorse, how is this thing holding up to your daily abuse?

6. Jul 11, 2011 at 11:47 PM
    yotamikez

yotamikez Street glide or die

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Valrico
    Vehicle:
    04 civic & 08 Street glide
    I am going to look into this very cool idea.

7. Jul 12, 2011 at 7:55 AM
    G.T.

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    Doing fine. I've dropped my truck Keyport a coupe time fumbling with a few things while I try to get my keys out and it stands up to the abuse. I removed the keys to my mother and fathers house since I'm rarely there and replaced them with the USB drive and the little light. I like the USB drive as it has come in very handy for me as I use a handy little free program called Portable Apps to keep utilities that I am familiar with on the drive for me to use no matter where I am. The little light is, well, not that impressive to me. It works as described and its activation is actually quite ingenious. But I carry a Nitecore D10 pocket flashlight with me that really puts out a heap of light so I'm a bit spoiled. If you were a maglight or mini-maglight user then the Keyport light would definitely help. I never use the Keyport light to get into the truck as I have the key fob to unlock the doors for me but getting into the house the little light does come in handy when I remember it's there.

I bought one of the bottle openers for it too but gave it to a friend. He uses it and says that it works well in his Keyport. My wife has one of the lights in hers and loves it. Overall I'd still say that we are still fans of the Keyport system here and have no plans on changing back. If you aren't in a hurry and use some of the common social media sites then check their site for the facebook and other links so that you can be notified when they offer discounts.

Products Discussed in

To Top