Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Rain guards, in track or tape on?

Old 12-30-2010, 10:38 PM   #1
MemphisTaco08 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
MemphisTaco08's Tacoma Gallery
Rain guards, in track or tape on?

I would much rather do the in track setup, but have heard they wear out the motors on power windows. Are their any in tracks out there that don't have this problem? Anyone got good/bad stories with theirs?

Thanks
Old 01-06-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
gtdad66 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jesse
gtdad66's Tacoma Gallery
I have the in chanel type, but my truck is a 2010 with 5500 miles. I had a 2002 prerunner that had 100,000 miles and inchannel vents and neverf had any problems with them or the window motor. I say inchannel because they are nice and clean fitting.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
MemphisTaco08 is on a distinguished road
MemphisTaco08's Tacoma Gallery
Cool deal. Anyone know a good, preferably affordable, brand that doesn't have tape on for the rear windows? Saw several brands on previous posts, but they seemed to have in-channel for the front, and tape for the rear.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
brs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura about
brs127s's Tacoma Gallery
I have Weather Tech in-channel visors in the dark smoke for my 04 D-Cab. The front visors go in the channel with nothing else. The back visors go in the channel, but also use some tape in the channel. I have had them for a couple of years now and not had any problems. With the number of times the windows have gone up and down, we have yet to wear out a window motor (especially with my kids rolling the back windows up and down.

We just put a set on my dad's 04 GMC 4-door. His front visors went in the same as my Taco's, but his back visors had a clip that went between the windor frame and window trim/seal. The back visors went in the channel and had a pin that went into a small hole at the front and back of the visor. I liked this method much better than the tape used for my Taco.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
daggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nice
daggertats's Tacoma Gallery
i have the in channels on my tacoma and had in channels on another truck the one si have on the taco are egr ,the other truck had avs. i like the egr alot better,they are a much nicer look . neither gave me any trouble however i should mention both trucks have/had manual windows
Old 01-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #7
When all else fails read the directions
joerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 18F-5th SFG
Name: Him
joerussell610's Tacoma Gallery
Have in channel on my 05 DC front and rear . No probs.... Mine are AVS or Auto Vent Shade.
Attached Thumbnails
Rain guards, in track or tape on?-my-toyo.jpg  
Old 01-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #8
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
Tape-on AVS rain guards here,,been taped on since 99 with no probs. Had channel mounts on other trucks and they always rattled eventually.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #9
Boilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really nice

Boilerman's Tacoma Gallery
I have the AVS inchannel vent visors. No problems and looks great.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #10
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I think I have the AVS in-channel ones on my '07 and no problems yet. I've had in-channel and tape-on style on past trucks and definitely prefer the in-channel type. Over time the tape-on ones always seemed to start to peel away from the truck in a few years and had to be re-applied no matter how much time I spent prepping the surface. I have yet to have an issue with the in-channel style.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #11
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyman89 View Post
AVS in channel front and back doors. No problems at all.
Same here. The inchannels follow the lines of the truck. I had a set of the tape-ons first and took them back...tape came off the visor after a couple days and they looked like crap especially where the two come together between the doors on the piller. Get the inchannel!
Old 01-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #12
FJ FTW!
southern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

southern_x's Tacoma Gallery
inchannel all the way! I have weathertechs on my taco, but i have seen some putco's off ebay installed and i really like the lines of those ones, i think if u had to redo it id go with the putco's they run like half the price also.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #13
tisher49 is a jewel in the roughtisher49 is a jewel in the roughtisher49 is a jewel in the roughtisher49 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Alex
tisher49's Tacoma Gallery
in channel for sure. I hade tape ons and they were a pain to get off and took a lot of elbow grease to get the sticky stuff off the door.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #14
Jimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud of

Name: Jim
Jimmyjohn's Tacoma Gallery
I have Weather Tech on both the Escape and the Taco. They are In channel the only way to go!!
Old 01-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #15
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
in channel have my vote.
I dont like the look of the tape on ones.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #16
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
avs or weathertech?

i think im goin avs
Old 05-03-2011, 01:07 PM   #17
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
avs in channel be here in 2 days.....it never ends really it doesnt.

the other day i had the window cracked while raining and huge drops were dripping onto my window switches....i was quite angry ha!
Old 05-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #18
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf69 View Post
avs or weathertech?

i think im goin avs
i went with egr
Old 05-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #19
North Country is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
North Country's Tacoma Gallery
i got the avs in channels, i went to put them on today and encountered a problem...either they sent me the wrong ones, or my tacoma has a unique window contour because neither the driver nor passenger side visors fit my front windows properly.

anybody know what the proper serial number or model number is for the avs in channel visors for 09 4door tacoma?
Old 05-03-2011, 09:47 PM   #20
t-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t-frax's Tacoma Gallery
go with egr. slimmest ones you will find. and cheaper price too at streetsideauto.com you also get 10% off with the tacomaworld coupon code.