Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Alternative cargo divider - $80

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
lcogginz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlcogginz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlcogginz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlcogginz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlcogginz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlcogginz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlcogginz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlcogginz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlcogginz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlcogginz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlcogginz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lauren
lcogginz's Tacoma Gallery
Alternative cargo divider - $80

Preface: I am in no way associated with this product, other than having bought one and installed it today.

Found the below on Amazon recently, searching for a cargo divider solution that did not cost $250 like the OEM divider. It looks nice and all, but I need a tonneau cover and some seat covers, and I just couldn't bring myself to spend $250 on it. Here's what I *did* buy:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Came shipped in a large, flat box. With shipping it set me back about $100. The netting material is a heavy fabric-backed vinyl, and the bars aren't going to hold really heavy loads, but for a grocery getter like me it's the perfect way to convert the tail end of my bed into a trunk area. The bars are adjustable up to the max for the model (different models for different sized truck beds), and are spring loaded to facilitate mounting them in the bed. Bit of a pita to get mounted, but the rubber ends are pretty secure against the sides of the bed.

After everything, I'm satisfied with the product, for the price, and wanted to pass it along in case anyone else, like me, needs a cargo divider but would rather spend the extra $150 on something else.

If anyone's interested I'll see about getting a picture up tomorrow of it installed. Got dark on me today before I could do that after I finished the wash/wax/detail mod.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
razortaco is on a distinguished road
razortaco's Tacoma Gallery
Nice find. I'd be interested in seeing a pic of it in the bed whenever ya get a chance.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
Retrofit Club!
lookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
lookylookitzadam's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet, that is a much more cost effective alternative to the OEM divider. It also gave me an idea. Couldnt you also get two of those extendable bed bars and a cargo net for like $30 @ Walmart? It seems like that is what this is?

I think that is just the poor kid in me talking, lol
Old 01-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
lcogginz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlcogginz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlcogginz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlcogginz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlcogginz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlcogginz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlcogginz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlcogginz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlcogginz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlcogginz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlcogginz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I had the exact same thought on the cargo bars and the net, but the bars themselves are $40 or so (at least the cheapest I could find them), and then I'd need the net too. Decided to spring for the one on Amazon and give it a try.

I'll get a couple of pictures loaded this evening when I get home. The net isn't quite as taut as the product picture shows it, but it ain't bad. And it doesn't use the bedrails at all so it'll be seated well under any kind of tonneau cover I get.

More later -
Old 01-04-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
That looks like a pretty descent product. Def worth saving $150 over the OEM divider. I swear, most of the OEM add-on parts are way overpriced!!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #6

Sorry for the delay. Forgot to take pictures before dark yesterday, so did it today. Disregard the red cable lock. I don't have a tonneau cover yet, and the head to the cable lock would not fit under the d-ring in the bed, so I attached it to the rail cleat. I know the cleat comes off - just hoping it's a visual deterrent for any would-be thieves.

Let me know if any questions. The divider's not perfect, but it also wasn't $250.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:13 AM   #7
N.GA Taco x3 is on a distinguished road

Name: Kevin
N.GA Taco x3's Tacoma Gallery
Question what size

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcogginz View Post
Sorry for the delay. Forgot to take pictures before dark yesterday, so did it today. Disregard the red cable lock. I don't have a tonneau cover yet, and the head to the cable lock would not fit under the d-ring in the bed, so I attached it to the rail cleat. I know the cleat comes off - just hoping it's a visual deterrent for any would-be thieves.

Let me know if any questions. The divider's not perfect, but it also wasn't $250.

I notice on the Amazon site, this company makes the same divider in several sizes, depending on your truck's bed width. Which size did you order for your 2nd gen tacoma, and are you satisfied with snugness of the fit ? thanks
Old 01-06-2011, 03:30 PM   #8

Actually, the link I posted above is to the one I bought, which was the right size for the bed. If you want to be extra sure, measure, but I did link to the one I bought. And I'm pretty happy with the snugness of the fit. The way I have it now the bottom bar is more snug than the top one, but I think I could adjust the top one a little and get it more snug. Each bar is in 2 pieces that connect in the middle with a snap lock (those little spring loaded buttons you push in, that pop out in holes on the other side and lock it in place - not sure what these are officially called). Each bar is also springloaded on one side. It's not great for really heavy loads but I'd trust it with groceries and other every-day things. Even a cooler or something, but not at high speeds if I slammed on the brakes. Only had this thing a week though, so hard to say for sure!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:29 PM   #9
novataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud of
novataco's Tacoma Gallery
Looks interesting. I might get it. I have had this one for some time:

http://www.realtruck.com/highland-tu...4698P1C1T.html

mine has threaded ends and it's telescoping, via twisting it, for tension. However, its got some design flaws that make it only somewhat useful.
the feet at the bottom, the perpendicular ones, are not long enough, so the bottom kicks out very easily, even by grocery bags, when you are braking. Also the ends have rubber covers, both they have long since come off, so I have used gorilla glue and rubber gasket material, wehich regularly comes of so it has become a pain in the ass. Now there is no rubber, so it is not holding well, and it is just scratching the bed walls.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
tacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomathunder's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacomathunder
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcogginz View Post

Thread Revival! so how satisfied are you with the cargo divider? is it durable?
Old 02-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #11
Badbagger has a spectacular aura aboutBadbagger has a spectacular aura about
Air Force:
Badbagger's Tacoma Gallery
I picked this one up just to keep crap from sliding around and it had decent reviews so for under $40, I figured why not. Haven't had time to play with it yet. Just came in from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details
Old 02-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
tacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomathunder's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacomathunder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbagger View Post
I picked this one up just to keep crap from sliding around and it had decent reviews so for under $40, I figured why not. Haven't had time to play with it yet. Just came in from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details
I have that one now and i really like it...except when i got to the store to buy groceries....no room in the cab when i go with my friend in my reg cab lol...so i just have to drive carefully so i don't have to crawl in the bed to go get them if they slid...thats why i like the cargo divider the OP showed, has the capability to block things tall and short from going by

Products Discussed in this Thread