1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rip Off Report XM Radio

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by BartStar, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Jan 23, 2011 at 6:06 AM
    Nick Sells

Nick Sells Well-Known Member

Member:
    Elgin, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    I personally like the Sirius radio, they have given me three free radios in the past with free installation just to keep me as a customer, credited me over 7 months at times, and now they are going to give me a year for $70 all it takes is a little time on the phone and some idol threats to cancel Plus the Jason Ellis show on sirius channel 28 and 52 on xm is awesome and I hate stupid radio ads.

2. Jan 27, 2011 at 8:18 PM
    ycart1201

ycart1201 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC TRD Sport 4x4 - My build is underway
    Current Project: 2016 DC TRD Sport 4x4
    I love my xm but I have not tried canceling it yet...

Nathan
    ycart1201

3. Jan 27, 2011 at 8:51 PM
    sdnicker2000

sdnicker2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Mostly Stock 08 TRD Sport
    Rear spring TSB, Fumoto Valve, No A/C on defrost mod., tailgate theft mod.
    To make a long story short (kind of) Sirius called me and offered me a free radio. I really wanted another antenna so I said yes. I clearly asked the gal several times what the catch was. She said "no catch".
    Three months later they charged my credit card $59 for the price of the radio for not activating the radio within 3 months.
    I told them I was going to contact the fraud department of MasterCard for fraudulent/unauthorized charges. They credited my card $65 ($59 plus interest occurred) and gave me 6 free months of service. And a ton of "Sorry Sir".
    That free 6 months was the last 6 months I had Sirius.

4. Jan 29, 2011 at 6:41 AM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    I just renewed my XM for 6 months and now they are charging an extra $20 "royalty" fee. I asked about it and was basically told that i have to pay for the service of using the radio, then pay for the price of listening to the songs on the radio because the cost of the artist royalties has become to much for XM to cover on there own.

If I wasnt road tripping it alot this spring/summer i wouldnt have renewed. I was pissed and its way overpriced.

5. Jan 29, 2011 at 6:53 AM
    Slotback

Slotback Triple Option

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner
    I got around the royalty b.s. by buying a lifetime subscription when I bought my Tacoma.

6. Jan 29, 2011 at 7:00 AM
    MMJ

MMJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2010 TACOMA TRD OFF ROAD
    Smitty Built nerf bars
    i'm glad this is being discussed because i just recently got a letter stating that i can get one full year of service for $77 which is 50% off and they will waive the activation fee. Sounded good to me and i was just about to call and reactivate today... i also read the small print and noticed it states other fees and taxes will apply but doesn't tell you for what and how much... after reading everybody's posts, i'm going to have to pass.

- i do have a smart phone with pandora and never knew you can do that. thanks for the great idea.

7. Feb 4, 2011 at 1:29 AM
    BartStar

BartStar [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    Good choice! They will later rob money out of your account,
    You can get one of those pre-paid credit cards and just put the amount of $77 on it and use it to pay for the XM service, and when they try to bill more charges from it it won't work cause there's a 0 balance, then maybe they will cancel your service.

8. Feb 4, 2011 at 6:28 AM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it

X2. Howard in the morning and Ellis in the afternoon. I hate stupid FM radio. The ads, the DJ's, the music, everything is so fake

9. Feb 4, 2011 at 6:50 AM
    larryirun

larryirun Member

Member:
    I first started my dealings with Sirius six years ago. I have units in three vehicles as well as a home unit. I use auto-pay and never have had a problem. I get yearly statements which clearly specify the charges. I also get decent discounts for having multiple units. I mainly listen to Howard as well as Outlaw Country and Jazz. I do not have any family connection to the company by the way:) I have few options for local FM or AM stations so I will stick with satellite.

10. Jan 26, 2012 at 6:00 AM
    2011whitetaco

2011whitetaco Active Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 White SR5
    I had Sirius for years and loved it. Every year I called and negotiated a discount and got about 15% reduced annually plus a free month each time.

I got rid of sirius when I stopped driving for a while and they didnt cancel my autopay and took out a full years worth after I cancelled. I got the money back in the end. THEN this year after a whole year of not having it I noticed they took $200 for a year out of my credit card!!!

They credited my account after a 14 day waiting period!

Never do autopay!

11. Feb 26, 2012 at 9:36 PM
    BRUIN8124

BRUIN8124 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD 4X4 OFF ROAD DCSB
    +1 I couldnt agree more! I get more variety on the local radio and less DJ talking banter BS. I can deal with commercials. I did not think XM/Sirius was worth it at all!

12. Feb 27, 2012 at 1:49 AM
    lil J

lil J Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacen
    Louisville
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 4wd V6 Horizon Blue
    Old Man Emu Suspension
    Got a lifetime subscription for Sirius over 7 years ago, it's more than paid for itself. For the folks that said they play the same stuff over and over again, there's 180 stations turn the dial. Howard Stern more than makes up for it not to mention the music is uncensored. You can go from sports to comedy, rap to def metal then maybe hear some 70's music, reggae, classic rock, or even country if that's you cup of tea. I got Sirius in my house I love it so much.

13. Apr 3, 2012 at 1:22 PM
    Executive

Executive Conservative

Member:
    Peabody, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD Sport
    Before I bought my Tacoma, I had a Chevy Silverado with XM/OnStar and the built in telephone. When I bought the truck, the delivery process involved me buying 250 minutes of "emergency" mobile phone minutes for $9.99. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but three months later, after the trial XM subscription expired, I noticed a charge for XM AND a charge for OnStar on my credit card. I NEVER authorized either and it took several phone calls to get the charges removed and my name removed from the call list. Too bad because I like listening to baseball on XM especially with the scores and info displayed on the screen. XM and GM/OnStar are NOT honorable people to deal with.

Chris

14. Apr 3, 2012 at 1:47 PM
    dusman

dusman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Windsor, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD ORDC MGM
    So let me get this straight and while I did not read each and every reply in detail, the basic premise seems to be that some of you didn't read the fine print, signed, and are now pissed? Really? This is the same in any contract, cell phones, TV, mortgages, hell even when you bought your Taco. Sirius has been great to me and for less than .50 per day can you really beat it if you drive frequently? Sure drop $3K on a lift without blinking and then complain about being charged something you signed up for to begin with? And look at all the stories how Sirius tried to make it right even though they didn't legally have to do so. Not being a dick, just looking at it from both sides, you signed and agreed, they aren't going out and randomly charging your credit cards for shit.

15. Apr 3, 2012 at 2:46 PM
    Executive

Executive Conservative

Member:
    Peabody, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD Sport
    I never signed or agreed to any contract for services beyond buying ten dollars worth of mobile phone minutes. XM and OnStar obtained my CC info by selling me this to me over the OnStar communication service when I took delivery of my new Chevy truck.

Regards,
    Chris

16. Apr 3, 2012 at 2:58 PM
    dusman

dusman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Windsor, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD ORDC MGM
    in fact you did, check it out