Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Leak Free 5 Gallon Gas Can?

Old 02-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
hfrank007 is on a distinguished road
hfrank007's Tacoma Gallery
Leak Free 5 Gallon Gas Can?

Can anyone recommend a leak-free 5 gallon gas can? Have been looking at reviews online and my eyes are crossed. Need one for a drive up to Alaska in two weeks. Will store in the bed.

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
Voos will become famous soon enough

Name: Eric
Voos's Tacoma Gallery
NATO can is the only way to go. Hard to find and a little pricey. I know where you can get them. Brand new, not surplus. PM me if interested
Old 02-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voos View Post
NATO can is the only way to go. Hard to find and a little pricey. I know where you can get them. Brand new, not surplus. PM me if interested
X2 once you've used a NATO can, there's no going back
Old 02-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK27's Tacoma Gallery

these are the enviro crap ones (self venting). they dont leak at all but they pour realllllly slow

(i have one of these and a regular style jerry can. the regular empties in less then 5 mins, the enviro one takes close to 10 minutes to empty 5 gal)

i've had one roll around in the back of my truck for 2 hours and not spill a drop, left it sitting in the sun during the summer and it swelled up huge but still didnt release the seal
Old 02-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
hfrank007 is on a distinguished road
hfrank007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by barlowrs View Post
on your way to alaska, pick up some scepters in canada.
Scepters?
Old 02-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
barlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
barlowrs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfrank007 View Post
Scepters?

They scpeter MFC...they are what the military uses (except nato, they use steel blitz cans). They are great cans, however you cannot get them in the states anymore (they do not pass all the carb laws). Only military can use them now, but outside the states (including canada) you can still get them.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #9
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Scepter miltitary is lighter and rustproof but does not seal as well as the Wedco steel military can. EIther one you want to get the older not enviro friendly versio off Ebay. You do NOT want Blitz Jerry cans that are the civilian version... inferior in every way. People get Wedco over Scepter that keep the can inside the vehicle and wont accept ANY smell of gasoline in the car. It seals better and has a lock.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:04 AM   #10
Tacohead
HuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant future

Name: Kevin
HuntnTruk's Tacoma Gallery
VP 5 gallon race cans are awesome. They will not leak and are excellent quality.

http://www.locox.com/Motocross-ATV/M...LAID=554756362
Old 02-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #11
barlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
barlowrs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
Scepter miltitary is lighter and rustproof but does not seal as well as the Wedco steel military can. EIther one you want to get the older not enviro friendly versio off Ebay. You do NOT want Blitz Jerry cans that are the civilian version... inferior in every way. People get Wedco over Scepter that keep the can inside the vehicle and wont accept ANY smell of gasoline in the car. It seals better and has a lock.
My scepters seal completely. Actually, one issue (the only issue) I have with them is that they expand and contract depending on temperaure becuase of the internal vent adn the fact that they are 100% sealed. This means that in hot weather, it is hard to get them out of my can holders becuase the air/gas insides expands and does not vent. I have to open the seal to vent them and let them breath before taking them out...Trust me, they are FULLY sealed.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #12
scollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Scott
scollins's Tacoma Gallery
Any one have experience with the RotoPax variety? I like their mounting system, but they are quite expensive for the capacity....

www.rotopax.com
Old 02-20-2011, 12:22 AM   #13
BartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of lightBartStar is a glorious beacon of light
BartStar's Tacoma Gallery
I suggest check your local and state laws about gas cans and transporting gas cans, it could be illegal
Old 02-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #14
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
I do like the rotopax But until I get a vehicle that could use em, or move to a foreign country, I can't justify it. Might put one on my motorcycle. Maybe. But on a pickup truck? Not unless I lived out in alaska or northern canada. Maybe bits of minnesota or something.

There's a lot of great can and rack systems. But if you've already got a pickup truck...
I just use my walmart bought Blitz 5 gallon can. It won't leak. Won't even burp air. They're always laying on their sides, full of gas in my trunk or truck. Never leaked a drop. ANd if you just have to have it mounted blitz sells mounts for em for gardener trailers. Even lock. I bought em to store gas for my generators, but they've proven to be great cans.

Just went out and made sure I wasn't making stuff up. FULL can upside down. Me kneeling on it. shaking it.. Not a drop, not even an odor.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #15
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartStar View Post
I suggest check your local and state laws about gas cans and transporting gas cans, it could be illegal
Pretty sure its 50 state illegal, but municipalities rarely enforce state and almost never enforce federal law.
Where they do have specific laws about it, pretty sure it has to be a metal can. I got pulled over once,(somewhere between texas and Colorado the long way, by heading west) but my cans were empty, so not ticketed. REplaced em with a high lift jack anyway.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:07 PM   #16
Donjello is on a distinguished road
Donjello's Tacoma Gallery
I've been purchasing brand new NATO cans for $49.00 + $9 shipping from

http://www.deutscheoptik.com/product...oducts_id=1718

These cans are brand new and totally awesome. If you buy four they ship them free.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #17
Donjello is on a distinguished road
Donjello's Tacoma Gallery
Oh yeah, and if you don't have a jiggle syphone you have to get one. Easiest way to fuel up from a fuel can. No spilling and their super cheap.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #18
REALLY!!
mrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: F-22 Crew Chief
Name: Brent
mrp192's Tacoma Gallery
if you dont have it yet get "the mile post" if will tell you what towns have what. so you dont stop in a town that doesnt have a hotel or a gas station..
Old 04-24-2011, 03:18 PM   #19
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntnTruk View Post
VP 5 gallon race cans are awesome. They will not leak and are excellent quality.

http://www.locox.com/Motocross-ATV/M...LAID=554756362
"NOTE: The VP Motorsport Container is intended only for use as a rapid refueling device for
racing vehicles used in professional off road and closed course competition racing events. It is
NOT a portable fuel container as described by ASTM, EPA, ARB or other state or federal agencies.
Intended for racing fuel only; not to be used for street legal fuels."
Old 04-24-2011, 03:24 PM   #20
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery

I only use "Safety Cans" ... and they are great. About 25 years, had a fire around one and it did not ignite or explode. They are super but pricey.

--> http://www.westernsafety.com/Justrit...rite07pg4.html

--> http://www.justritemfg.com/ChemCompatibility.tpl