Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Bushwacker Pocket Flares

Old 02-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Bushwacker Pocket Flares

I ordered the Bushwacker pocket flares from Amazon.com. They have the best price I've found by far.

But I can't recommend the darn things. I'm running the very common combination of a 3" lift with a 285 width 33" tire. I bought them to cover the tires, which now stick out past the factory flares. Bushwacker's ad copy makes it *seem* like this will work:

But, I didn't get the coverage I was looking for at all!:

As you can see, the tires still stick out past the fenders! So, I went back and re-read the "to learn more" link. The only thing I can figure after reading it is that they measure coverage AFTER removing the OEM Flare. I find this misleading at best, deliberately deceptive at worst.

As far as the actual install went, it was a bit more time consuming than I would have expected, but I have no gripes about the construction/installation/fit of the product. No wait, actually I do have one - they don't take advantage of the factory flare clips or clip attachment points, and without them, the front flares seem to have a bit of a tenuous hold on the front fenders. Not to worry though - since they're designed to look "bolt on" I chose a few of the dummy-just-for-looks bolts and replaced them with sheet metal screws right into the fender itself. Problem solved. That back fenders had GRIP, and didn't seem to need this treatment.

Here's how they look:

The "dummy bolt on" flares actually go pretty well with the "dummy bead lock" wheels. But really, I don't give a darn about the bling look. I want my tires covered!
Old 02-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
anybody know who sells these for a 2nd gen double cab? i cant find them...
Old 02-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective_Dan View Post
anybody know who sells these for a 2nd gen double cab? i cant find them...
DC Longbeds use the same as access and regular cab.

DC Shortbed: http://www.amazon.com/BUSHWACKER-319...7660613&sr=8-1

The trick is to find the part number on the bushwaker site, then search for that number directly on Amazon.

You're stoked if you're not running oversize tires. But, if you're not running oversize tires, why go to the trouble and expense??
Old 02-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
DC Longbeds use the same as access and regular cab.

DC Shortbed: http://www.amazon.com/BUSHWACKER-319...7660613&sr=8-1

The trick is to find the part number on the bushwaker site, then search for that number directly on Amazon.

You're stoked if you're not running oversize tires. But, if you're not running oversize tires, why go to the trouble and expense??
idk, ive always been a fan of the exposed bolts, plus i have a black/white/red theme going on my dc sb. i know a lot of people dont like the exposed bolts, but ive always been partial to them
Old 02-14-2011, 04:40 AM   #6
Sandman is on a distinguished road
Name: Alex
Sandman's Tacoma Gallery
wanna sell your oem flare?
Old 02-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
NORTHERN RED-NECK
udy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
udy2554's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry you're not happy with them, I LOVE how they look on your truck.

Looks AWESOME!!!
Old 02-14-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
indycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud ofindycross has much to be proud of

Name: Ross
indycross's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great man!
Old 02-14-2011, 10:16 AM   #9
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
I honestly think the coverage it good they just stick out a little but you have seen how far mine stick out so I kinda like that look
Old 02-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
KevLot17 will become famous soon enoughKevLot17 will become famous soon enough

Name: Kevin
KevLot17's Tacoma Gallery
They Look real nice on your truck... the sheetmetal screw thing...eehhh probably not a good idea, unless you live in the desert where you dont see a bit of rain or salt or anything of the sort.. you should AT THE VERY LEAST take them out and throw a glob of silicone on them before putting them back.. and make sure theyre stainless screws!.. or youre really lookin for trouble!....
Old 02-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #11
Derp
Derpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Derpy Derek's Tacoma Gallery
I gotta ask, would this cause less rubbing if I were to buy these and switch them out with my stock flares? Going to get bigger tires in the future and I'm looking for alternatives instead of cutting.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #12
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackToyotaTacoma View Post
I gotta ask, would this cause less rubbing if I were to buy these and switch them out with my stock flares? Going to get bigger tires in the future and I'm looking for alternatives instead of cutting.
Ha ha ha. Nope. You see that little plastic pile of shavings/trimmings next to the driver side front tire? That's all stuff I cut off the new flare with a box knife - which pretty closely matches what I had previously cut off of the factory flare.

Oversize tires == rubbing, trimming or both - your choice.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #13
TACO2003 has a spectacular aura aboutTACO2003 has a spectacular aura aboutTACO2003 has a spectacular aura about
Navy: Senior Chief Eniginman/Retired
Name: Doug
TACO2003's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed the cut out version which will give me more room for larger tires but, I do have modified steel bumpers and a 6" lift which helps.

Bushwacker Cut Out Fender Flares
Old 02-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #14
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I heard back from Bushwacker in response to my complaint.

They apologized and said their measurement technique is standardized for trucks that don't come with factory flares at all. The customer service guy said he'd forward the complaint on, so hopefully they'll make this more clear on their website. And they're sending me some swag for my trouble.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #15
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO2003 View Post
I just installed the cut out version which will give me more room for larger tires but, I do have modified steel bumpers and a 6" lift which helps.

Bushwacker Cut Out Fender Flares
Yeah, but "cut out" and "extend a flare"s are only available for first gens, not second gens. Maybe Bushwacker will add them to their lineup someday.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #16
Derp
Derpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Derpy Derek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Ha ha ha. Nope. You see that little plastic pile of shavings/trimmings next to the driver side front tire? That's all stuff I cut off the new flare with a box knife - which pretty closely matches what I had previously cut off of the factory flare.

Oversize tires == rubbing, trimming or both - your choice.
Holy shit! Now I see it.. well that dashed my hopes lol.
Thanks
Old 02-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #18
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
The "dummy bolt on" flares actually go pretty well with the "dummy bead lock" wheels.

Now you just need a black leather jacket with rhinestones and you are set!
Old 02-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #19
drewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Drew
drewskie's Tacoma Gallery
Badass truck man.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #20
wvtactoy is on a distinguished road
wvtactoy's Tacoma Gallery
Speedway Blue

Anyone have pics of Speedway Blue Tacoma w/ Black Bushwacker Flares...?