Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Rock sliders in snow/salt country

Old 02-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
brow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud of

Name: Andy
brow's Tacoma Gallery
Rock sliders in snow/salt country

Hello all,

Wasn't sure where to put this, so I took at stab at it. I am looking into getting some sliders for my truck.

Does anyone have any info. on how long they last in states where they use ALOT of salt on the roads in the winter?

I just don't want to buy something that will need to be replaced every two years when they rust through.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
You'll need to care for them. They're steel so they will rust. When you start to see rust appearing, sand them down and repaint them. The initial paint job will make a huge difference. If you take your time, you can make them last a while but eventually you'll need to repaint them, especially if you off road and the paint gets scraped off.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #3
xrhode is on a distinguished road
xrhode's Tacoma Gallery
line x them!
Old 07-12-2011, 11:08 PM   #4
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
You'll need to care for them. They're steel so they will rust. When you start to see rust appearing, sand them down and repaint them. The initial paint job will make a huge difference. If you take your time, you can make them last a while but eventually you'll need to repaint them, especially if you off road and the paint gets scraped off.

Put a rust inhibiting primer down (I use TSC's) then paint ontop of it. make sure you prep them well so the paint doesnt just flake off when you wash them.

Paint, powercoat, and linex will come off if you use them like they're intended to, and paint is extremely easy to touch up whereas the other two are not.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:27 PM   #6
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
most sliders (that i've seen) are .120" thick, which is almost 1/8", which will take awhile to rust thru.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:33 PM   #7
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
most sliders (that i've seen) are .120" thick, which is almost 1/8", which will take awhile to rust thru.
As mentioned, just give them a little love now and then when you see surface rust start to rear it's ugly head. Scotch brite the area (or use a sanding wheel on a grinder for thicker scale) and hit that area with decent paint. If treated when needed, they'll last as long as your truck. Mine are 1-3/4" .120 and yep, about 1/8" thick. Best bang for the buck. Frame plates and gussets are all 1/4" thick.