1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Herculiner/Durabak/HippoLiner/Rustoleum Road Warrior?????

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by kingston73, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Feb 26, 2011 at 11:35 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Ok, I've spent hours looking up each of the 4 types above and I'm still no closer to getting an answer than I was when I started. Just to start out, I know Rhino and Linex are the best, but I can't spend that much money, this needs to be less than $200 total for me. I clearly want something that will last a decent amount of time, but I'd really like something that is a little softer and more rubbery-feeling than a hard cement coating.

So....which one's the best for what I want?

2. Feb 26, 2011 at 3:28 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    What are you using it for?
    I've used the Herculiner DIY kit on my 96 tacoma and on a couple jeep interiors. It's cheap & easy to install yourself (with care in keeping area clean). However, it's not nearly as thick as the professionally installed liners (Rhino, Linex, etc).
    If you rub, drag, drop heavy objects on the Herculiner, it can scratch/scrape off. If you scratch/scrape it off - you can easily buy 1/4 can and do touch-ups.

For the 1st gen....you could save yourself $$ by getting the Herculiner DIY kit for under $100. Then - buy a rubber bed mat to put ontop.

3. Feb 26, 2011 at 3:34 PM
    tacomakid96

tacomakid96 Lions Not Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Out n' about
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma / 2000 4.7 Tundra TRD
    I doubled the thickness of herculiner and it is tough as nails, I would definitely buy it again. The kit says 2 coats. I put 5 coats on!

4. Feb 26, 2011 at 3:59 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I'm looking to replace the plastic liner thats in there right now, I hadn't thought about the rubber bed mat/herculiner combo. I don't know much at all about the Durabak or hippo-liner, and what little I could find about the rustoleum stuff it's rubberized but havent' found many opinions of actual users.

5. Mar 18, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    StatutoryAPE

StatutoryAPE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Phoenix,AZ
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner xtracab
    TRD Headers,CAI, dynomax super turbo, blacked out headlights, Smoked LED tails, Billy 5100 w/OME 881's and 5125's in rear, rear tube bumper, tint 35% front 3 windows & 5% in rear 3. fiberwerx 4.5's
    ive been thinking about doing this myself as well. What kind of prep work do you have to do before install? And how long is the liner supposed to last? will it fade over time? I just saw today a truck with a fresh coat, still had the sides taped off and the bed look nice shiny black. i like that look

Products Discussed in

To Top