Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Ultragauge

Old 02-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Ultragauge

I stole this idea for a mounting point (Thanks Whippersnapper). So far, the Ultragauge has been great. The set-up is pretty self-explanatory. I haven't messed with it too much but I've got a question for you long-time Ultragauge users... I bought the Ultragauge, filled up my tank and just went for a refill. The Ultragauge says my average fuel economy is 19.0 MPG, my calculated MPG is 17. Anyone else notice this discrepancy with theirs?
Old 03-01-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
DonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Boatswain's Mate
Name: Don
DonL's Tacoma Gallery
Did you CALIBRATE DISTANCE and then CALIBRATE MPG/FUEL as per page 29-30 in the INSTALLATION & OPERATION manual? That will set up your UltraGuage to give you your true mileage.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonL View Post
Did you CALIBRATE DISTANCE and then CALIBRATE MPG/FUEL as per page 29-30 in the INSTALLATION & OPERATION manual? That will set up your UltraGuage to give you your true mileage.
Mine didn't come with a manual... just went to the site and downloaded it. I'll try that calibration you mentioned. Thanks!
Old 03-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
DonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Boatswain's Mate
Name: Don
DonL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Mine didn't come with a manual... just went to the site and downloaded it. I'll try that calibration you mentioned. Thanks!
Yes, for some reason none of the Ultragauges came with a manual. You want to CALIBRATE DISTANCE on page thirty (30) first and then the CALIBRATE MPG/FUEL on page twenty nine (29). Good luck.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
I'm Not Your F***ing Brother
Paul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Paul's TRD's Tacoma Gallery
That's where I have mine mounted and I didn't steel the idea from anyone, just seemed like the right place to put it and cable reached. As for the answer of the fuel reading. Mine is somewhere like 13.8 avg mpg
Old 03-01-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah make sure and calibrate it..I need to recalibrate mine...it thinks I'm getting 14.5 MPG which in reality i'm getting anywher from 16-18 per tank..gonna recalibrate when i do a 300 mile drive on sunday.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
canadaman is on a distinguished road
canadaman's Tacoma Gallery
Dumb question here.... but do you guys know how to make it stop calculating MPG when you are stopped? If I am at a light, I can just watch as my DTE decreases...? It would be nice if it used an average when moving.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #8

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaman View Post
Dumb question here.... but do you guys know how to make it stop calculating MPG when you are stopped? If I am at a light, I can just watch as my DTE decreases...? It would be nice if it used an average when moving.
At a light, your DTE shouldn't change enough to say so. If you spend enough time sitting and idling though, your Distance to Empty is decreasing... If you don't want it to show it, change the settings so the DTE isn't displayed. It constantly calculates average MPG and DTE.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #9
Boilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really nice

Name: Brian
Boilerman's Tacoma Gallery
Yep have to calculate distance and mpg. Since doing that mine has only been off from .2 to .4 mpg's.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #11
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
So these can be recalibrated for 35" tires? Since my speedo and odometer are about 12 % off
Old 03-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #12

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
So these can be recalibrated for 35" tires? Since my speedo and odometer are about 12 % off
Yep
Old 03-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #13
To secure peace, is to prepare for war
TacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacomaJPP's Tacoma Gallery
Heres mine on the A pillar:

Old 03-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #14
Rellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant future
Law Enforcement: Police Officer (retired NYPD)
Name: Craig
Rellik01's Tacoma Gallery
BTW, I recently emailed UG and they said that they shortly will have a fix to have the Transmission Temperature reporting on the gauge.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:00 AM   #15
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik01 View Post
BTW, I recently emailed UG and they said that they shortly will have a fix to have the Transmission Temperature reporting on the gauge.
Really !!!!!!!!!!!!! I wonder how they will accomplish this...
Old 03-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #16
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJPP View Post
Heres mine on the A pillar:
Looks good. How did you feed the UG cable down to the OBD2 port? I wanted to do that but the OBD plug is so large, I couldn't see how to feed it without dismantling the dash.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #17

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
Looks good. How did you feed the UG cable down to the OBD2 port? I wanted to do that but the OBD plug is so large, I couldn't see how to feed it without dismantling the dash.
I pulled the A-pillar cover off and ran the wire behind it. If you pull the A-pillar cover off, you'd only have to cut a small notch at the front, where it meets the windshield, to run the wire into it and fish the OBD II plug behind the dash or between the dash and the door. Sometimes you just gotta be creative with hiding your wires, you shouldn't have to tear your dash apart, just remove the a-pillar cover.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:33 AM   #18
Gene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to all

Marines: 1982-1988 Okinawa, Japan & Southern California
Name: Eugene
Gene563's Tacoma Gallery
Pugga, I like how you mounted yours above the mirror (I know you said you got the idea from WS). Do you have any pics of how it's attached?
Thanks.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:13 AM   #19
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Enjoy mine very much.

Took a look back through that online manual. I have done either of those calibrations. They'll be done soon. I also forgot about some of the optional gauges. Gonna set up the Engine Run Time on one. It's been something I've been thinking about lately.

I actually don't have a pic of how I've had mine mounted for quite some time now. This is a pic from when I first got it. It's still in about the same location except it's not hooked onto that stupid mount.

I simply went to Meijer and found some small "L" brackets. I 3M taped the bracket to the top of the dash, then 3M'd the UG to the bracket. The wire is still run the exact same way.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:43 AM   #20

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene563 View Post
Pugga, I like how you mounted yours above the mirror (I know you said you got the idea from WS). Do you have any pics of how it's attached?
Thanks.
The picture in the first post is actually Whipper's truck, I just have mine mounted the same way. If you look on the top of the mirror, on the right side you'll see the top of the suction cup in the back ground. It's mounted there by taking the UG supplied suction cup mount and bending it into an S shape around the rear view mirror. I can take a side pic tonight if you'd like. Just make sure the suction cup is below that ceramic frit at the top of the window otherwise it won't stay.