1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Seafoam Motor Treatment: The Short Review

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by SlimDigg, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Mar 14, 2011 at 5:06 PM
    Dmonkey

Dmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    Eibach height adjust shocks in front, KYB monomax shocks in the back. Stock springs front and back. Level 8 MK6 10mm offset wheels on Cooper ATP tires (stock size)
    so you know my profession.. big deal bro.

quit trying to help, if someone can't read instructions and kill their vehicle then they obviously shouldn't be using the road anyway

2. Mar 14, 2011 at 5:07 PM
    TacoMatt02

TacoMatt02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    02 sr5 double cab
    dam u so hard bro!

3. Mar 14, 2011 at 5:07 PM
    Dmonkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    Eibach height adjust shocks in front, KYB monomax shocks in the back. Stock springs front and back. Level 8 MK6 10mm offset wheels on Cooper ATP tires (stock size)
    i'm thinkin about using it on my 04 with 50k miles as well

4. Sep 3, 2011 at 8:19 AM
    tacomazach

tacomazach Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    01 doublecab 4x4
    bringing this thread back to life for a quick question. If I don't add seafoam to the oil will I still need to change the oil soon after applying seafoam?

5. Sep 3, 2011 at 8:41 AM
    Watari06V6

Watari06V6 Faster than a speeding ticket

Member:
    Wounded Knee
    Vehicle:
    TRD-V6-SR5-06
    i remember from another forum concerning seafoam is that you apply it to the oil 50 miles before your next oil change:)

6. Sep 3, 2011 at 9:11 AM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    I had never used it but read about it on here and pep boys had it on sale 5$ after rebate, Put a can threw the other half's vett 13 yo with 65k on it. Man did it fog the hood. Rest in the tank the 350 idel is like a new motor and picked up 1 mpg. I give it two:thumbsup::thumbsup: and will use it on the taco down the road!!!!

7. Sep 3, 2011 at 9:30 AM
    Us3r

Us3r Reading...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Socali
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma Std. 2RZ-FE 2WD
    Axle wrap mod (Shackled), 140 Amp Alternator & Wires, HID Headlights, Brush Guard Grille, Hella 550 Driving Lights. |Saving:Total Chaos.|
    hydrolock with seafoam?

you can stall out your engine with it, but that does nothing. Hell, flooding the booster vacuum so the engine stalls with seafoam in it is actually a good thing.

I made an atomization device, I'd run about 1/3 the can trough vacuum, sometimes half a can, than I'll flood engine till it shuts off. Give it a good 10 minutes before I take it for a nice hard drive around the block.

Depends condition of your engine, it can smoke like hell.

To use in engine oil. Do so on the day you plan your oil change. Run for about 20 - 50 miles.

Seafoam, b12 are great products and does no harm to the engine.

I do advise changing spark plugs after vacuum treatment and depends on how old your o2 sensors are, they might go bad after the treatment.

KEEP SEAFOAM AND B12 AWAY FROM YOUR MAF SENSOR

8. Sep 3, 2011 at 12:22 PM
    UndefinedTaco

UndefinedTaco I'll eat all your food.

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It's an 89 Toyota Pickup. I got some stuff done to it.. FJ axles going under it soon.
    I sucked an entire can into vaccumm line with truck at 1500rpm(So it wouldn't die) in like 1 minute lol

It didn't hydrolock.
    I had a bent valve on cylinder 2 and a crack under cylinder 2 and still got 22mpg, with tremendous amounts of power :)
    (bent valve and crack was WAY before the Seafoam)

It' a GOD DAM TOYOTA 4 CYLINDER

K, if you have a V6..you should be worried :eek:

9. Oct 2, 2011 at 8:59 PM
    RELLIM

RELLIM Well-Known Member

Member:
    IOWA CITY IA
    Vehicle:
    2010 ACC CAB 4X4 V6 SR5 TRD
    Scan Gauge II, AFE air filter, charcoal intake filter delete Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Alpine iDA-X303, AMS OIL (ENGINE) Bilstein 5100 RHA series
    The instructions instruct you to stall your engine..wait 5 min and fire it up again..
    I've been using this blue shit for a number of years.. it does the job.. now if you have severe carbon build up, you're gonna have to tear into the engine and hand degrease it. a liquid cleaner can't clean everything..

10. Oct 3, 2011 at 4:22 PM
    goufcustom

goufcustom 7.62x63mm

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 4x4 TRD Sport DCLB
    This stuff rocks, I just did it to my Tacoma, and my wires CR-V and my car before that G6, and my neighbor swears by the stuff. And Advanced Auto Parts has it for $7 a can, easy to do, and I can feel the difference.

11. Oct 6, 2011 at 1:48 PM
    My68ur8trd

My68ur8trd Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Williamsburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD OR Dcab 4x4
    URD Catback | TRD CAI | TRD S/C | APR X-1 | DTLT | APR 2.85" Pulley |Fabtech 6" | Icon C/O | Alcan Leafs | 33 Grabber AT2 | 17" XD Addicts
    the only experience I have it putting it in the oil in my old beater car ( 87 camry with 270k). I ran it the last 100 miles and drained the oil.

I was all amazed at the amount of crud that came out in the oil. I figured it was sludge build up and otehr crap.

refilled it and fired it up. It leaked all over :rolleyes:

either the seafoam ate what was left of the 20 year old seals, or the sludge was all that was keeping it together lol

resealed it and that car is still running ( 315 k on the odo now)

I have had good results pulling it through the intake, and I plan to do it to the new beater car ( 95 tercel) here soon.

Justin

12. Oct 6, 2011 at 1:56 PM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    I'm skeptical as well, although it could work, not drawing a conclusion either way (I have used it, no noticable difference for me). There are so many detergents in oil and gasoline now is why I tend to agree with you...

13. Nov 6, 2011 at 8:58 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Snake oil? Now I am not going to say it will do much for a car/truck. Maybe once a year before winter to help with any water in the tank (better off using the red bottle Heet for water). It would be good if your truck is going in storage for a while. BUT any 1 or 2 cylinder, 2 stroke or 4 stroke this stuff is the golden touch. I was the head mechanic at a golf course for 10 years and I used this for everything. The best use was for single cylinder 2 stoke engines. Just add 1 oz per gallon right in the gas cans. Then for starting (instead of ether) they make this in a spray can. Just give a shot in the carb and it starts every time. After I started using this I had way less problems and plug fouling. Plus at winter add 2 oz per gal. right to the fuel tank. I never had gumming problems any more.

14. Dec 10, 2011 at 1:39 AM
    dalesrn

dalesrn Tacoma TSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Southeast Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma PreRunner DC with TSS Package
    Borla exhaust system, Sirius Satellite Radio, Chrome package, Trailer Hitch, Clazzio Leather seat covers, TSS badging, Anytime on fog lights mod, Daytime driving lights mod, Dual backseat DVD players w/monitors, 3rd Brake Light "TSS" mod, Bed pocket lights mod, Seat belt chime mod, Bed storage compartment auxillary outlet mod, Shorty antenna, Armor Lid Tonneau Cover, Line of Fire tailgate light
    subscribed

15. Dec 15, 2011 at 12:21 PM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    1/3 in vacuum line, 1/3 in oil, 1/3 in gas. The vacuum line treatment didn't generate even a hint of smoke in the exhaust fumes.

31k miles; don't do it. Makes me reconsider getting MAF and TB cleaner tomorrow. May also not yet be worth the time and money.

16. Dec 15, 2011 at 12:41 PM
    dalesrn

dalesrn Tacoma TSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Southeast Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma PreRunner DC with TSS Package
    Borla exhaust system, Sirius Satellite Radio, Chrome package, Trailer Hitch, Clazzio Leather seat covers, TSS badging, Anytime on fog lights mod, Daytime driving lights mod, Dual backseat DVD players w/monitors, 3rd Brake Light "TSS" mod, Bed pocket lights mod, Seat belt chime mod, Bed storage compartment auxillary outlet mod, Shorty antenna, Armor Lid Tonneau Cover, Line of Fire tailgate light
    I was considering doing this as well. I have 40K miles. Have not decided if I should do it or not.

17. Dec 15, 2011 at 1:36 PM
    Kurdain

Kurdain Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
  18. May 3, 2012 at 10:19 PM
    wudbuchr

wudbuchr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Linnie
    Lexington, TN
    Vehicle:
    2016 (7128A) BBP 4x2 - TRD Sport Access Cab
    * Clear Bra (full front) * BBP (8T0) Side Body Molding * Tinted Windows with AWS window shades * Romik Running Boards * Color matched Undercover Lux bed cap and BedRug bed liner * MobTown Locking bed storage doors, Tailgate skin and cap * Chrome Tailgate Script lettering * G-Tec Fab Door Sill Protectors and OEM Mud Guards * Fumoto Valve * ScanGauge-II * LED Interior, Stop, tail, Bed, OPT7 LED H11 low beam and fog lights * WeatherTech floor mats * Clazzio seat Covers * Removed jump-seats & rear seat-belts * Sound deadened back wall, rear posts, rear doors and front doors with a layer of RAAMmat, a layer of Ensolite, and a layer of EzCool * Insulated the roof with two layers of EzCool * GT series Image Dynamics speakers (6x9 fronts, 6.5 rears) * Audio Control DQ-61 DSP, 5-channel amplifier and sub woofer. * Redline Tuning Quick Lift Elite hood struts * Thinkware F770 (Dual) Dashcam with Cellink Battery B * Lexus SmartKey Transmitter and Emergency Key
    Just a newbie here, but this thread reads a little childish from a visitor's perspective. All these name callings and harsh words. . . If I was looking for a forum to join, this thread would surely convince me that this is not where I would look for friendly advice.

As for Seafoam, it is a GREAT fuel stabilizer, designed for use in both gasoline and diesel engines. The stuff really works! Have you ever gone to a dealer or repair shop and paid for "Injector cleaning"? They simply pour a can of STP injector cleaner or similar product in the fuel tank and charge you $20 to $50 for the service. Now, I have only been around cars for about 60 years and my experience is somewhat limited, but think what you do when you use Throttle Body cleaner. Don't you apply it using about the same procedure that you have been "discusing" for the last four pages on this thread. Heck, you even clean the MAF the same way. I can remember when we used to pour naptha down the venturi of a high revving engine to remove the varnish build-up. Bottom line here is that different folks use different processes to reach the same objective.

I'm no moderator on this thread, but I would like to suggest that we get back to offering friendly advice and stop all this bickering. We are giving TW a black eye and discouraging potential new members from joining. Just my two cents worth, and now I will back out of here and let you guys and gals continue. Thank you for the opportunity to chime in. See you on the square!

EZ Harley likes this.
  19. May 3, 2012 at 10:38 PM
    Dmonkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)

Since you're not a moderator, perhaps I may suggest you calm the hell down with your whiner talk.

20. May 4, 2012 at 6:41 AM
    wudbuchr

wudbuchr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Linnie
    Lexington, TN
    Vehicle:
    2016 (7128A) BBP 4x2 - TRD Sport Access Cab
    * Clear Bra (full front) * BBP (8T0) Side Body Molding * Tinted Windows with AWS window shades * Romik Running Boards * Color matched Undercover Lux bed cap and BedRug bed liner * MobTown Locking bed storage doors, Tailgate skin and cap * Chrome Tailgate Script lettering * G-Tec Fab Door Sill Protectors and OEM Mud Guards * Fumoto Valve * ScanGauge-II * LED Interior, Stop, tail, Bed, OPT7 LED H11 low beam and fog lights * WeatherTech floor mats * Clazzio seat Covers * Removed jump-seats & rear seat-belts * Sound deadened back wall, rear posts, rear doors and front doors with a layer of RAAMmat, a layer of Ensolite, and a layer of EzCool * Insulated the roof with two layers of EzCool * GT series Image Dynamics speakers (6x9 fronts, 6.5 rears) * Audio Control DQ-61 DSP, 5-channel amplifier and sub woofer. * Redline Tuning Quick Lift Elite hood struts * Thinkware F770 (Dual) Dashcam with Cellink Battery B * Lexus SmartKey Transmitter and Emergency Key

Products Discussed in

To Top