Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Icon 2.5" remote resi rear shock official "Road test"

Old 05-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #21
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Do you happen to know, or have you measured, the compressed/extended lengths and overall travel of the shocks?
Old 05-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #22
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
Do you happen to know, or have you measured, the compressed/extended lengths and overall travel of the shocks?
Shocks are about 3" longer than the OEM, and 5100's, and have a 2" longer stroke.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #23
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Shocks are about 3" longer than the OEM, and 5100's, and have a 2" longer stroke.

Have them on the front of the FJ. I do agree with them being a little harsher at low speeds. My FJ is a bit heavier than a tacoma especially with all the armor. when i first installed them i drove down a muddy pot holed dirt road at a nice slow speed and it was jarring hitting the potholes under the water, then i took it at faster speed and they just soaked up the potholes like they weren't even there. I am running the Piggy back Fox's in the rear. From what i have read they get a bit more travel than the the Icons, but you can hardly compare my linked rear to the leafs of a tacoma.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #24
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Chris, can you PM me the info on the area you are testing these out? I would love to test out my new front and rear shocks.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:00 PM   #25
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRS 2 TiFJ View Post
Have them on the front of the FJ. I do agree with them being a little harsher at low speeds. My FJ is a bit heavier than a tacoma especially with all the armor. when i first installed them i drove down a muddy pot holed dirt road at a nice slow speed and it was jarring hitting the potholes under the water, then i took it at faster speed and they just soaked up the potholes like they weren't even there. I am running the Piggy back Fox's in the rear. From what i have read they get a bit more travel than the the Icons, but you can hardly compare my linked rear to the leafs of a tacoma.
Your running rear shocks on the front of the FJ?
Old 05-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
Chris, can you PM me the info on the area you are testing these out? I would love to test out my new front and rear shocks.
I have it on my GPS, but I could mark it on a map for ya. I'll call ya in a little bit.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:07 PM   #27
10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ron
10851's Tacoma Gallery
Chris,
What part of the reservoir did you take the temperature reading? I have the Icons front and rear and love them. I have an ARB bull bar winch bumper with a Warn 9.5 on the front. I really pushed my truck on a rocky road/dry stream bed and actually got the rear reservoirs to warm up. The front area of the reservoirs where the hose fitting attaches got hot enough that I couldn’t keep my hand on it. The rear half of the reservoir was cold. The front shocks got Luke-warm but not hot. My buddy’s truck with 5100s got hot enough that he said the suspension was really sloppy. He checked his rear shocks and said they felt damn hot…. I didn’t crawl under his truck to check the rears…. The front was really hot on the entire bottom of the shock. I was glad that we had 10 ply tires…. The outside temperature was about 25 degrees when we did this.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10851 View Post
Chris,
What part of the reservoir did you take the temperature reading? I have the Icons front and rear and love them. I have an ARB bull bar winch bumper with a Warn 9.5 on the front. I really pushed my truck on a rocky road/dry stream bed and actually got the rear reservoirs to warm up. The front area of the reservoirs where the hose fitting attaches got hot enough that I couldn’t keep my hand on it. The rear half of the reservoir was cold. The front shocks got Luke-warm but not hot. My buddy’s truck with 5100s got hot enough that he said the suspension was really sloppy. He checked his rear shocks and said they felt damn hot…. I didn’t crawl under his truck to check the rears…. The front was really hot on the entire bottom of the shock. I was glad that we had 10 ply tires…. The outside temperature was about 25 degrees when we did this.
Wow! I take all thermo readings at the center of the mian shock body.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:18 AM   #29
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Your running rear shocks on the front of the FJ?
No, I'm running Icon remote resi coilovers in the front and fox piggy's in the back. I guess i didnt realize you were testing rear icon remote resi's! hahah Guess i should pay more attention to the title eh?
Old 05-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #30

Quote:
No, I'm running Icon remote resi coilovers in the front and fox piggy's in the back. I guess i didnt realize you were testing rear icon remote resi's! hahah
Ok. FWIW, Sonny at DSM took out some of the low speed dampening on my front 2.5's and they ride great! Smooth on the street, and nice on low speed hits.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:24 AM   #31
Navy:
Quote:
Ok. FWIW, Sonny at DSM took out some of the low speed dampening on my front 2.5's and they ride great! Smooth on the street, and nice on low speed hits.
Eh, the street ride doesnt matter to me that much. I bought an offroad vehicle not a caddy.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:40 AM   #32

Quote:
Eh, the street ride doesnt matter to me that much. I bought an offroad vehicle not a caddy.
yah, but its a bit smoother off road at slower speeds.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #33
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sounds like you found the perfect combo! Is this something they can do before sending them to me?......for the futrue of course!

What rear springs are you running just for comparison reasons?

This is the kind of real world testing we need more of, thanks for all your feed back!
Old 05-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Sounds like you found the perfect combo! Is this something they can do before sending them to me?......for the futrue of course!

What rear springs are you running just for comparison reasons?

This is the kind of real world testing we need more of, thanks for all your feed back!

I think its pretty close. I think if you dont tow, or haul much in your truck, more of the low speed dampening should be taken out. Right now, With my boat hooked up, its perfect! And Yes, If you order these from Downsouth motorsports, they can re valve them before they ship them to ya.

Oops....My rear springs are teh TSB springs, with a 1" AAL I had custom made. The spring rate is equivelant to the TSB springs with the 1.5" AAL from Toytec.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:13 PM   #35

2 month (almost) update:

After fully flexing the rear many times, the shocks seem to be "softening" up a little bit. THe on road ride has improved alot, and the off road ride is still perfect.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:18 AM   #36
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
Anymore updates Chris? Starting to look for a rear upgrade to my 5125's.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:31 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by lembowski View Post
Anymore updates Chris? Starting to look for a rear upgrade to my 5125's.
Im still diggin them! If you dont tow, or haul anything I would suggest valving the low speed compression about 50% softer, otherwise, I think they are about perfect.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #38
jediwaxer is on a distinguished road
Name: Brandon
jediwaxer's Tacoma Gallery
I've also got OME Dakars and IVD 2.5 remote on my 06 taco.
Rides about like Fred Flintstone's car, WAY rough.
How can you tell if it's shocks or struts???
Old 10-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #39
deog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud of
Name: snicklefritz
deog's Tacoma Gallery
Just to confirm, the front CO'S have the icon 13" 650 lb springs that were used for this review ?
Do you think a 600 lb spring would make much of a difference ?
Old 10-30-2013, 07:13 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by deog View Post
Just to confirm, the front CO'S have the icon 13" 650 lb springs that were used for this review ?
Do you think a 600 lb spring would make much of a difference ?
The valving will make more difference in the ride.