Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Icon 2.5" remote resi rear shock official "Road test"

Old 03-29-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Icon 2.5" remote resi rear shock official "Road test"

I got a chance to go test these today, and Im impressed. The test was done on a 25 mile off road loop that I have tested other shocks on. With the Icons, I was able to push things a little faster than other shocks I have tested in the past.
First impressions:
The low speed dampening is boardering on the very firm/stiff side. Below 25 mph things are kinda harsh. around 30 to 35 mph things smooth out, and at 45 mph (wash board, rutted, with some good size holes, washes, rocks, etc.) things become absolutly wonderful. Under acceleration on ruts, rocks, uphill, the back end was planted the whole time. Sliding around corners, off and on power, the truck was completely stable. Even when pushed to the edge, the back end felt composed, and seemed to comunicate its actions well. The ambient temp was 77*, and the the hottest I could get the shocks up to was 88 to 90*, while the remote resi stayed at ambien temp. The fronts (in comparison) got up to 87 to 89*. These are a perfect match for those who are running a digressive rate 2.5" front CO. The only changes I would suggest is a softer low speed dampening.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
Banned
merrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to behold
merrit's Tacoma Gallery
I knew you would like them.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrit View Post
I knew you would like them.
I was disapointed that the N2 pressures were way off out of the box, but.....thats an easy fix.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:57 PM   #5
06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kenney
06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
I noticed on the street that bumps are a bit harsh (maybe the Alcan springs) but pot holes and dips are absorbed nicely! Haven't seen any dirt yet still waiting on lugnuts to mount new wheels and tires.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06rubi View Post
I noticed on the street that bumps are a bit harsh (maybe the Alcan springs) but pot holes and dips are absorbed nicely! Haven't seen any dirt yet still waiting on lugnuts to mount new wheels and tires.
Correct. The low speed dampening is a bit firm.Softening that up should make the shocks perfect for the Tacoma. I have a feeling they are valved for the FJ.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
Banned
merrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to beholdmerrit is a splendid one to behold
merrit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I was disapointed that the N2 pressures were way off out of the box, but.....thats an easy fix.

I have a feeling they are valved for the FJ.

Thats why they are adjustable... I figure the sales dude would be able to get that checked FOC ?

That very well may be. ...try it with a couple 3 hunderd #s of gear tied down behind the cab and run it .. tell us what you think then...
Old 03-31-2011, 12:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrit View Post
Thats why they are adjustable... I figure the sales dude would be able to get that checked FOC ?

That very well may be. ...try it with a couple 3 hunderd #s of gear tied down behind the cab and run it .. tell us what you think then...
Why do I need to outfit my truck in a way that I dont run it? Being as I have a quad cab (already heavier than an ext. cab.) and about 150# of tools, I feel my comparisons are fair. If you have an issue with the way I tested, by all means, get yourself a pair, and conduct your own test. Be sure to get the OME's, 5100's, Ranchos, etc. so as to be able to offer a true comparison. All of my tests in the past have been in the same vehicle, configuration, trail, and testing shocks "Out of the box", with only adjustments made to N2 psi.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:02 PM   #9
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Hey great info chris!!
Old 03-31-2011, 01:05 PM   #10
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Hey great info chris!!
x2
Old 04-01-2011, 10:57 PM   #11
06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Chris, what psi were you at on your test run? Do you think tire pressure was in the equation at all when Icon developed these shocks?
Old 04-01-2011, 11:49 PM   #12
BORN AND RAISED MAUI BOY
numbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kahai
numbah57's Tacoma Gallery
Hey chris, you said that the shocks would be a perfect match for digressive rate c/o, I have some camburg c/o's going in soon, are they digressive by any chance?
Old 04-02-2011, 07:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Hey Chris, what psi were you at on your test run? Do you think tire pressure was in the equation at all when Icon developed these shocks?
I run street pressures so as to feel the shocks without having the tire pressure play a role in the feel. Im going to be talking to Jeremy at Icon on Monday regarding what tire psi's may have been in mind for these shocks. ALso, Sonny at Downsouth Motorsports is re valving teh low speed compression for me. WHen they are back to me, I'll give them a go, and see what improvements it makes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbah57 View Post
Hey chris, you said that the shocks would be a perfect match for digressive rate c/o, I have some camburg c/o's going in soon, are they digressive by any chance?
The only Digressive shocks readilly availible for the Tacomas (that I know of) are the Icons.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:04 AM   #14

06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
How much lift do you have in the back Chris? Following my wife last night I noticed her shocks only have about 4" (just a guess) of compression left on her shocks. We only got about 1.5" lift out of the Alcan springs. Point being Icon says last couple inches is internal bumpstops. Could the harshness be a bit of the bumpstop compression? Just a guess. The ride has gotten better since the springs have broken in. I finally welded on the factory bumpstops (u-bolt flip) last night so we can go flog it now to see how it does off-road.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:16 AM   #15

Quote:
How much lift do you have in the back Chris? Following my wife last night I noticed her shocks only have about 4" (just a guess) of compression left on her shocks. We only got about 1.5" lift out of the Alcan springs. Point being Icon says last couple inches is internal bumpstops. Could the harshness be a bit of the bumpstop compression? Just a guess. The ride has gotten better since the springs have broken in. I finally welded on the factory bumpstops (u-bolt flip) last night so we can go flog it now to see how it does off-road.
Im at 1.75" lift in the rear.
If you have the 2.5" resis like mine, the inital compression is firm, but off road, and on big hits, its softer.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #16
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The internal bump zone is only 20% more dampening, which is not that much after 2 or so inches of travel. The low speed harshness is inherant to digressive valving, as is the high speed smoothness. You cant have it both ways.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
The internal bump zone is only 20% more dampening, which is not that much after 2 or so inches of travel. The low speed harshness is inherant to digressive valving, as is the high speed smoothness. You cant have it both ways.
Sonny at Dounsouth Motorsports took a little of the low speed dampening away to help make them a little bit softer initially. I havent had them off road yet, but the on road ride is nice.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:50 PM   #18
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Sonny at Dounsouth Motorsports took a little of the low speed dampening away to help make them a little bit softer initially. I havent had them off road yet, but the on road ride is nice.

How would you compare it to the stock Bilstein TRD shocks as a reference (my only real digressive truck experience)? Mine seem stiff on road yet bottom out ridiculously easy offroad.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
How would you compare it to the stock Bilstein TRD shocks as a reference (my only real digressive truck experience)? Mine seem stiff on road yet bottom out ridiculously easy offroad.
They are a little more firm on the road, but off road, they are fantastic. Below 20 mph or so, the ride is firm, but as speeds increase, the ride gets better. The normal stretch I test shocks on is pretty harsh at 45 mph on other progressive shocks, but I was way over 55 mph with the Icons. Not sure how fast I was going, but at one point I hit the rev limiter in second, then shifted to 3rd.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:14 AM   #20

Update:

I took a little more PSI out of the rear shocks. Im at 100 psi now. They seem to be sofening up a little more. Still more firm than the 5100's, N182's I have run in the past with my current springs. Articulation has increased about 2.5". I'll be testing with a load (500#) on Saturday.