Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

ScanGauge II vs WatchDog?

View Poll Results: Which is better, ScanGauge II or WatchDog?
ScanGauge 0 0%
WatchDog 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2011, 12:21 AM   #1
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
ScanGauge II vs WatchDog?

Can anyone help me better understand differences between ScanGauge II (http://tinyurl.com/2zl4no) and Bully Dog's WatchDog Multi-function Performance Gauge (http://tinyurl.com/3vcrt6m)? I've found a fair number of threads/posts about the ScanGauge, but very few about the WatchDog. I recognize the WatchDog appears to have a better display, which comes at a more premium price, but I haven't seen anything that lays-out specific differences and advantages/disadvantages of the two devices.

That said, I assembled the attached table of each device's advertised features/capabilities, to facilitate a side-by-side comparison. Green lines list capabilities that appeared "equal" to me. Yellow shows ScanGauge "advantages". Blue shows WatchDog "advantages".

Is my table complete? (Does either device offer additional capability?)

Is my table accurate? (Are those really differences, or are there more similarities between the two devices?)

Recommendations on which device is better and, more importantly, why?
Is the WatchDog worth the $40-$60 price premium it commands?
Attached Thumbnails
ScanGauge II vs WatchDog?-scangauge-comparison.jpg  
Old 05-15-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
yotalander is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
yotalander's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a scangauge 2, I've been running it for about a month and enjoy it. I haven't read much on the ultragauge, or watchdog. I've programed some of the xgauge functions( distance to empty, egt, altitude in feet(haven't figured out in meters), barometer, liters remaining in tank, bhp ( I don't rely on it, thought it would be fun to program). I find it helpful and after a few tanks I've lightened my lead foot and get about 175-200km per quarter tank. just my .02
Old 08-21-2011, 04:41 AM   #5
hotrod45 is on a distinguished road
Army: medic 5501 hospital
Name: paul
hotrod45's Tacoma Gallery
Cool ultragage

anyone who has an ultra gage please post your experience with it. any other feedback is also welcome
Old 08-21-2011, 04:59 AM   #6
U no kea but AINOFEA!
kauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Nurse
kauaibuilt's Tacoma Gallery
Ultraguage has been on for about 3 months now. No problems. Once calibrated I got right on readings for MPH compared to GPS and MPG's avg went from 13.something to 16.6. Really started watching the guage, especially on takeoffs, and saw my avg start to increase.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:22 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I really like the ultraguage. Cheap and simple to use, what more could you possibly want out of an accessory
Old 08-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #8
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
I use an app on my android called torque, it requires a bluetooth obdII adapter but it's a pretty great app. Theres a plug in for it that will record video (from dash using car dock) of you driving on the track, while displaying the real time info and having a transparent background of google maps indicating where exactly you are. Really awesome app.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #9
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Night's Tacoma Gallery
You are pretty well just paying for the screen because most of the blue the scan gauge has in its "Performance Guages"